Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanley and Hawkins
Two main concerns from last week remain
Watched replay closely :
Stanley worked to get the drop position.
Got pushed aside and took eyes off ball.
Gawn will do the same try bring ball to his feet
Stanley needs to negate Gawn's effectiveness.
Priority is to stop clean centre break-ways

Hawkins not kicking goals is a big worry.
Needs to stay close to goal to provide a target.
Cats quick attack leaves him stranded up field.
Team changes have strengthened the team.
Would have liked Neal as pack splitting forward.
Suspect Ollie D will start as the sub

Just a few views on the game

I did listen to a bit of Rodney Eades and Rohan Connolys weekly podcast - and discussing the ages of teams and players particularly Coll and Geel - rattled off all the ages of the blokes over 30 - like Pendles 36 and Danger 34 etc , and Rocket said some blokes at 28 are finished and some at 33 are still going great guns . But he did say the 1 he was concerned with at Geel is Rhys , he reckons he has nearly hit the wall and i agree with that , and i have been a big fan of Rhys over his career

Thus given that and he is up against Gawn ( and i know he did play that great game against him at KP ) but i would have made 1 structural change for this week , i would have brought in Conway so you have 2 rucks against Gawn . Atkins and Clark have done very little this year , so 1 of them could have made way for Conway , and you could swing other blokes like Guthrie or Tuohy in the midfield to cover for them

Geel got smashed in the midfield last week and i thought Blicavs game got devalued because he had to do too much ruck work . If Conway was brought in this week , Blicavs could play purely as a midfielder , like he did 1 night against Coll , opposed to Pendlebury and Blicavs got 2 Brownlow votes

Id have Bowes who is going good opposed to Petracca , he did actually play against him for about a qtr in a game at KP - and Bowes went allright didnt look out of place

Geelongs 7 wins are largely on the back of some outstanding individual performances like Cameron and Stengle , however i think both the Full Forward and Full Back have been pretty average , thus hopefully both of them improve a fair bit Sat night
If Conway came in Blitz would ruck over half the game

You didnt read my post correctly

I said play 2 rucks Stanley and Conway - so Blicavs can play as a pure midfielder

If Atkins or Clark ( given their output so far this season ) make way for Conway this week you lose very little
Ok I missed that part, but are trying to create a stronger midfield by dropping a midfielder? I'm confused

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You playing him then off a short break in Darwin the following week?

Conway will come in next week as stanley will be due a rest. Darwin is a good question and depends on where his tank is at.

Just get jeremy on esava and jeremy will be BOG.

I know it's a week away, but would he match up on Cameron or Hawkins?

Jezza would run him ragged in the first quarter, while I can see Hawkins being too strong & enjoying that match up if played one out deep

You didnt read my post correctly

I said play 2 rucks Stanley and Conway - so Blicavs can play as a pure midfielder

If Atkins or Clark ( given their output so far this season ) make way for Conway this week you lose very little

You lose too much from being a small in rotation down plus you muck up the fwd structure by stanley or conway playing fwd a lot.

Hopefully conways tank will improve soon then he can come in full time instead of stanley.

I know it's a week away, but would he match up on Cameron or Hawkins?

Jezza would run him ragged in the first quarter, while I can see Hawkins being too strong & enjoying that match up if played one out deep

Port will try and get bzt or allir onto jezza and sav onto hawk. Jeremys running power will gas sav by qtr time otherwise.

Yeah I can kind of get that, but with no real second position and no tank to ruck all game you would have to rotate Conway off the bench and so Blitz is still taking rotations regardless.
Stanley?

Conway will come in next week as stanley will be due a rest. Darwin is a good question and depends on where his tank is at.
Darwin I think would take too much out of Conway and Witts will smash whoever we send so there's no advantage in sending the kid.

I'd be surprised if Conway didn't ruck against Port and I would be surprised if he rucked against Gold Coast in equal measure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back