Game Day Rd 8 Melbourne v Geelong Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Star Wars Day

Tonight we look to continue on our merry way, as the two oldest Clubs face off in what's been deemed "Rivalry Round"

And I know winty posted the X image, but it's even better from Insta with the included clip

VFL Round 6
Geelong v Frankston
1.05pm AEST, Sunday May 5, 2024
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong

In: Marcus Herbert, Ajang Kuol mun, Tanner Lewis, Mark O'Connor, James Willis

Out: Jhye Clark (AFL), Gary Rohan (AFL), Toby Conway (managed), Darcy Edmends, Hamish Sinnot

Interesting that O'Connor is named for VFL. Conway managed so suggests he will play vs port.

Got 1 ticket to sell for $60 - P16, Row A, premium seating on the wing. PM if interested

Clash of contenders brings out the best.
Both teams are currently in good form
Cats were remarkably efficient inside F50 v Blues
Unlikely replicated v Dees stingiest Defence
Cats score 99 ppg Concede 73 ppg Margin 26 ppg
Demons score 83 ppg Concede 66 ppg Margin 17 ppg
Stats indicate 1 goal missed and 1 conceded = Loss

Gonna be another tough day for Tomahawk
Demons defense is over-stacked with tall's
Don't expect any one on one contests won.
Only looks will come laces out on alert leads
All long bombs will be likely intercepted
Unfortunately for Dee defenders: Cats don't bomb.
Cats small forwards roam far and race home fast.
Cats rebound game leaves lots of room for leads
All long bombs will be at goal and on target.

Dees dominance will be at stoppage clearances.
Rated No.1 score from stoppage differential (Blues No.8)
If Stanley and Blitz can negate Gawn's influence
Cat mid's pressure, will force rushed disposals.
Stewart return will lead a rebounding back line.
Cats will pounce an punish every Dee turnover.
Perfect conditions : No Excused : No Dumb Footy.
A little luck would help a lot.

Down to the wire : Cats to remain undefeated.

cat popcorn 3.gif

I was trying to put together a table addressing the "haven't beaten anyone" argument. I was wanting to show where the team was at the end of last season, where they (and us) were on the ladder when they came to play us, and where they (and us) were on the ladder at the end of the round after they'd played us.

Opponent's ladder position at the end of 2023? Simple.
Opponent's ladder position at the end of any of the Rounds 1-6 2024? Crickets.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a site that enables a ladder to be compared each round? It's like the previous week's ladder ceases to exist.

The only ones I could do were

Round 7 - Carlton. Last year 5th. Coming into round 7 - Geelong 1, Carlton 4. After round 7 - Geelong 1, Carlton 6.
Round 8 - Melbourne. Last year 4th. Coming into round 8 - Geelong 1, Melb 4. After round 8 ??

I was trying to put together a table addressing the "haven't beaten anyone" argument. I was wanting to show where the team was at the end of last season, where they (and us) were on the ladder when they came to play us, and where they (and us) were on the ladder at the end of the round after they'd played us

There's a good chance the Carlton finish this round 8th, and they'll just be clinging on by percentage. (it's kinda funny when you think how confident they have been).

If we lose to the Dees... The highest-placed team we will have beaten will be Carlton (who I reckon will be 8th).

Looking at it that way, it's not great... but it doesn't really work that way and you can only beat who you play.

Let's just hope we get the W tonight and we will have beaten Melbourne, who would be 4th at the end of the current round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a good chance the Carlton finish this round 8th, and they'll just be clinging on by percentage. (it's kinda funny when you think how confident they have been).

If we lose to the Dees... The highest-placed team we will have beaten will be Carlton (who I reckon will be 8th).

Looking at it that way, it's not great... but it doesn't really work that way and you can only beat who you play.

Let's just hope we get the W tonight and we will have beaten Melbourne, who would be 4th at the end of the current round.

I was trying to demonstrate that we've improved over last year, that some of the teams we have knocked off were higher-much higher on the ladder than us last year, but we keep knocking off whoever comes at us and normally it means the loser gets knocked down a couple of ladder spots in doing so.

I was trying to put together a table addressing the "haven't beaten anyone" argument. I was wanting to show where the team was at the end of last season, where they (and us) were on the ladder when they came to play us, and where they (and us) were on the ladder at the end of the round after they'd played us.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a site that enables a ladder to be compared each round? It's like the previous week's ladder ceases to exist.

Round 7 - Carlton. Last year 5th. Coming into round 7 - Geelong 1, Carlton 4. After round 7 - Geelong 1, Carlton 6.
Round 8 - Melbourne. Last year 4th. Coming into round 8 - Geelong 1, Melb 4. After round 8 ??

Here you go mate: https://www.afl.com.au/ladder?Competition=1&Season=62&Round=957

You can see the ladder for every week going back to 2012

I was trying to demonstrate that we've improved over last year, that some of the teams we have knocked off were higher-much higher on the ladder than us last year, but we keep knocking off whoever comes at us and normally it means the loser gets knocked down a couple of ladder spots in doing so.
Yep, we have certainly improved... No doubt about that.

We've won every single game we've played, including H&A games and practice matches.

I think we even took the chocolates in our intraclub game.

We are going ok for sure.

A nice win tonight and I'll start getting my hopes up.

Spot on. It's a pointless exercise really. Especially when every side looks gassed the week after playing Geelong. We are running sides ragged, which combined with a loss, is not boding well for our opponents momentum.

Sydney and GWS are quite clearly the best two teams besides us so far in 2024.

Carlton, Bulldogs, Brisbane and Adelaide is still a decent cast of sides to beat away from GMHBA. Melbourne would be on the upper end of that list. What else are we really expected to do? Even Sydney and GWS' records would look worse by now if we had played them and beaten them.

I just won't think we're any good until we can beat the teams above us on the ladder

Thanks for the help with sourcing the weekly ladder.

Round / Last year Before playing us/after playing us. Us before playing them/after playing them
1 v SK (6) =9/11 =9/9
2 v Adel (11) 10/13 9/6
3 v Haw (16) 17/17 6/4
4 v WB (9) 7/8 4/5
5 v NM (18) 18/18 5/2
6 v Bris (2) 10/12 2/1
7 v Carl (5) 4/6 1/1

Yep, we have certainly improved... No doubt about that.

We've won every single game we've played, including H&A games and practice matches.

I think we even took the chocolates in our intraclub game.

We are going ok for sure.

A nice win tonight and I'll start getting my hopes up.
This comment is VERY underrated. Well played.

Team by Team Weekly ladder position chart
Weekly Ladder Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back