Preview Rd 9: Brisbane Lions v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clearly, this is an improving side, as the line of best fit demonstrates in that graph. This is also a young side, much younger than Carlton, and much younger than the seasoned Essendon side who they physically dominated in Round 8.

Just so you know, average age from last weeks teams:
Essendon - 24 years 9 months.
Carlton - 25 years 1 month.
Brisbane - 25 years 3 months.

Helps to research these things before you write them.

That myth aside, should be a good, tough match this week. Both teams coming off wins and looking to build on their seasons. Losses for both teams will be big setbacks in their seasons.

Just so you know, average age from last weeks teams:
Essendon - 24 years 9 months.
Carlton - 25 years 1 month.
Brisbane - 25 years 3 months.

Helps to research these things before you write them.

That myth aside, should be a good, tough match this week. Both teams coming off wins and looking to build on their seasons. Losses for both teams will be big setbacks in their seasons.

Speaking of helping to research things before you write them, I'd hate to think that someone had already pointed that out that figure for last week but also the average across the year, as opposed to cherry picking the one week where Carlton had a figure lower than us (and will probably jump back above with Gibbs and Carazzo potential ins).

Oh wait...

If you look at teams named so far, Carlton has averaged 25.375 years of age and 93 games experience versus 24.5 years and 77.9 games. That's basically a whole year in experience between the two.

Interestingly (and it ties into your comment on injured players) Brisbane actually fielded an older and more experienced team last week than Carlton did. That's the only round this year where it's happened.

how good it could be. First the drug cheats. Now Carltankers and after that our fav whipping boys in pies. I think Essendon underestimated us a little but Malthouse comment's seems to suggest he is well aware of the uprising. Won't help much.

Getting pretty tired of Carlton flogs coming on here posting their uneducated rubbish. Does not matter if they are just "joking" or just "trolling". I come on here to discuss footy, not to be trolled by idiots. There have been some reasonable Carlton posters posting some quality stuff however they are unfortunately drowned out by utter idiots like Hotcox and [B]Gingy[/B]. Mods, please do something.

Uncalled for personal abuse, Mods!

Lol. Wouldn't even be Melbourne's best defender and forward. Get out mate.

They're enough to contain your one-dimensional forward line.

Well, considering you have this player in your best 22..

Josh+Bootsma+AFL+Rd+9+Carlton+v+Melbourne+OJ4ygsSAF2ql.jpg

Raines must seem like a Ablett compared to him.

LOL want to hear something really funny? I was perma-banned from the Carlton board for calling Bootsma a spud 2 days before he was pantsed by that little kid Jamie Elliott.

Af for the Melbourne reference regarding Henderson, you obviously have NFI. I stand by my statement that Henderson would be your best Defender & Forward.

Well, this has been an utter waste of time.

Carlton supporters, please don't bother to respond to Duritz's preview. In case you haven't worked it out (and I suspect most have), it is just pretend. He wins when you respond - that's how he rolls.

Brisbane supporters, drop the Bay 13-isms and personal attacks. That sort of crap is never allowed on this board.

I'll edit the OP to make it clear that it is a pisstake. More fool me for thinking that both sets of supporters were smart enough to see through it.

That's a warning for one and all. Let's get this thread back on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why it was so hard to work out, I saw Lions v Blues preview by Duritz and automatically just assumed it would be a giant troll. I mean, come on, it's Duritz ! It's what he does, it's why he was born to do.

This got really ******* tedious in record time, kudos to Duritz in that case!

Agree on the first bit, the second not so much. It has pretty much turned what is the best thread of the week into an exchange of petty bickering and whinging. Suffice to say, we won't be going down this path again.

It's worth noting that our average age isn't a true reflection either compared to some other teams. We have a bunch of over 30's and some high 20's, then daylight, and a buch of 21 or under. We might end up with the same average age as another team, yet we are younger as their team is more balanced with mid 20 year olds.

Our team will continue to get younger over the next 12-18 months as Black, Brown and Ash retire, and the high scores are taken out of the equation for working out average age. Same will happen to our average games experience.

Howdy guys.

In regards to team changes what do the majority of people on here think? Karnezis a chance?

He was apparently damn good again in the reserves but probably not. We generally don't tinker with a winning side too much and I'd imagine we'll only see the forced changes due to Merrett and Clarke missing and I'd imagine Maguire and McKeever to be the likely replacements.

I :hearts: Duritz

I'm also looking forward to seeing Andrew 'most metres gained in the AFL' Walker in action. I don't know if anyone's told him yet, but it's not rugby union, and kicking long to the opposition is called a turnover.
Seriously though, he has been dangerous since moving to half back.

Haha, just read through it all, great stuff, what a classic.

Anyway back to the game, I think the presence of Simon Black on the team as a whole is massive, they have certainly missed his on field leadership and skill, and together with Moloney's toughness I think our midfield will believe they can rattle the Blues midfield and win this area of the ground. The whole team seem to walk a bit taller, go in a bit harder and wear their hearts on their sleeve when Blacky is in the guts.

I wouldn't really mess with the team except to cover Merrett and Clarke who are out, so I would bring in Goose for Merrett and potentially drop Staker back to cover Clarke, but not sure who will replace Staker up forward.

Will Cornelius be rewarded for his 8 goals, or will they bring in a more mobile, goal scoring threat like Green or give Karnezis a go after his BOG in the reserves last week? Is Paparone an outside chance?

I am thinking they will probably reward Karnezis (if not something is definitely going down in Melb town) and add some more midfield depth/running with goal scoring nous, cos I am thinking Cornelius is now behind Lisle, Martin, Longer but he may get one last chance toward the end of the year after a long stint in the Reserves.

He was apparently damn good again in the reserves but probably not. We generally don't tinker with a winning side too much and I'd imagine we'll only see the forced changes due to Merrett and Clarke missing and I'd imagine Maguire and McKeever to be the likely replacements.

Cheers for that. From all the reports i've read on NEAFL he seems to be in the best every game for the reserves. Has there been any reports up your way as to if something has happened with him? as he was brilliant in NAB cup and then really only got about 5 quarters of footy before being dropped.

Great win last week, so can imagine continuity being important for Voss and co. Unfortunate the suspensions will hurt you, but you could tell the players really came out hungry for the bombers game so it was a by product of playing the style you wanted. Good luck again this week!

Personally one of the things I love about the weekly reviews is that each writer has their own style. That one particular writer uses it as a opportunity to perform pistakus (latin), thus causing the thread to emerge as the bastard child of 'Nab Gf review' and 'sydney are such a pissweak club' is I think a strength. Having said that however and with due deference to POBT's efforts to get this back on track.

----------

One swallow does not a summer make. A week ago we were wondering if we would win any games over the next six rounds. Since then we have lost two key defenders to suspension.

Although we won against essendon, we still fell short of scoring a hundred points, and I don't think we've solved pur forward problems.

At our best I think we can match them but I am not confident we can produce our best two weeks in a row.

I'd suggest Goose and McKeever are the obvious ins for the suspended players but it gives me little confidence. Goose will be underdone and Niall is no Clarke.

Going to be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back