Toast Reasons for Optimism

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope we beat richmond at the mcg this week.

We have never thumped them there historically.

Biggest win vs them was like 20 points in 2014.

So I would be happy with a 15-25 point win.
I have only ever made it to two games live against Richmond at the MCG. On both occasions we won by a Dave Mundy kick after the siren. Who's gonna take the kick after the siren for a 3 point win this week?

Will await results before being optimisitc this week.

You are almost fully on board... come across to the happy side. This year is one to be thoroughly enjoyed. There are simply not many years like this in the life of a footy fan. It is perhaps a once in 15-18 years type of year.

Nahhh.....
Lets thump them!

I can't wait for the game to start! What a stunning weekend it will be. Simpson will come on as sub early in the third. Kick his first goal and then his second.

Chappy will show more development and Amiss will kick three. Jackson two and Treacy two-three. I am also backing at least two of our core four mids to kick goals this week.

What a time to be a Freo supporter!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have only ever made it to two games live against Richmond at the MCG. On both occasions we won by a Dave Mundy kick after the siren. Who's gonna take the kick after the siren for a 3 point win this week?
I was at the one where Mundy kicked the goal we didn't have time to get the ball down there to him.
Sitting behind the goal in the opposite pocket to where the Champion kicked the goal from.Sitting among a heap of Tiggers fans.David Mundy's brother sitting in fron of us.
As soon as th abll left his boot. I was up and screaming like a Banshee or a cat that had his tail stood. On. Getting bagged by the Tiggers supporters. I may just have over done it a bit, but I reckon I was yelling for at least a minute after the ball had gone through.
Bloody awesome day.

We are in a once in 15-18 years season as a supporter base.

Having endured a long rebuild, without having a bunch of crap seasons in the bottom few teams. We are now positioned with an abundance of current and soon to be A grade players. And the vast majority of those players are 25 and under. There are a couple of players on our list who will be in the argument for top five players in the league and at least four others who should be in discussion for top twenty five.

Backs:

A Pearce will need to be replaced but looks like he will play at this level or close for 3 seasons and it could be more.
A core of Ryan, Cox, Clark, Chapman are all at least close to A graders or are A graders. Chapman fit changes the ball movement for the entire team. I am bullish. Long hoddl!

Walker, Warner and Draper look like they can all at the least play a role and not hurt the team. The Ceiling for Draper is unknown but he seems to have all the tools for a modern KPD who could play for the next 10-13 years.

Aish is a solid B grade contributor with the occasional A grade in him. A glue guy who plays his role and is dependable in big games and under pressure. Valuable.

Midfield:

I would back our core mids to win or break even with any group in the league. The new ruck rule is a great advantage for Darcy and will limit his knee issues. He rarely runs and jumps in the CB anymore. He moves into position and uses his bulk to neutralise or direct the tap. Look at this list:

Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Darcy and Jackson. They have a long time to play together.

Sharp was pretty much a freebie and looks like he could lock down a wing long term. While we can improve in this area we have some glimpses in the side (discussed later) and can recruit or trade to solve.

Oh and we have Fyfe, fit and in form as a year to year proposition. Last week he was dominant and historically he is an all time great! Relish his every game while you can. Watch him strip the ball and glide away, take pack marks, tackle, bump and accept contact to release Brayshaw and Serong to the outside. All hail Lord Fyfe!

Forwards:

The triple J's are possibly the most talented group of young talls in one side in the league. All complimentary, all with huge upside physically, skillset and understanding.

All have skills when the ball hits the deck. Amiss and Treacy are great field kicks. And all find the goals. None are lumbering slow players either. And Treacy and Jackson are physical threats now. Amiss has more size to put on his frame, and will only get stronger.

Who matches up on them?

Crumbing smalls are a concern, however I think this can be addressed by trade of the draft.

Mid to Attack Link players:

Currently this is Freddy, Emmett and Switta. Freddy looks like a long term lock and we know Switta can at least play the role at a solid level. Freddy's ceiling is the highest of the three and as his fitness and understanding grows he will be very damaging.

Simpson is the biggest news in this area of the ground and perhaps the skinny side wing. He freaking has it! The forwards will love leading to him and he can go from stoppage or open play. A damaging burst runner with finish... He has future AA written all over him. I keep finding myself saying I haven't been as excited about a player since... with this team we can see class on every line and in most cases, more than once on every line.

Draft:

We have three first rounders at the end of this year.

Let that sink in.

I back us to find at least one A grader out of that. If we trade it should be for a mid twenties (or younger) A grader.

All this development and we should be playing finals this year. Enjoy every win. Savour all the development. Cheer the youngsters on. Watch in awe at the moments Simpson tears teams apart. Enjoy our young forward nucleus before they are known league wide as the best in the league.

What a time to support Freo! There won't be another time like it for another decade and a half. We will be too busy winning flags and going deep into September for the next decade.

If we weren’t robbed in the Carlton game we would be 6th before Sundays game.
We win Sunday we will be 5th a third of the way through the season.
People bang on about our scoring but our fwd line isn’t near prime time yet.
We have 1 player over 23 named in our fwd 6 on Sunday
Port had 1 player under 25 named in their fwd 6 to face the crows.
Cats have 1 player under 25 in their fwd 6
Swans have 2 under 25
Giants have 4 under 25

Swans have 2 under 25
Giants have 4 under 25

Giants will be unstoppable for the next 5 years

Swans have 2 under 25
Giants have 4 under 25

This is huge considering we are already seeing a lot from them. Each of our key talls have had dominant patches. Treacy has had dominant games.

The future is bright!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back