Reputations on line in Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2003
paradise
Other Teams
the best
Given the performance of Smith so far in this series and Kallis in Melbourne (though he may have been a tad underdone), is it fair to say that their reputations are on the line? Why I suggest reputations is that they're enhanced if players perform at at least their best against the world's best. Surely Smith has to prove he's worth a 50+ average by making some runs against us and Kallis has to prove that he's worth a 57 average and the #1 ranking. If they fail again it may show that as some suspect the rankings are skewed by the number of average teams around. Some players manage double centuries and big series against the minnows but struggle against the best. While De Villiers' well known weakness against leg spin has been exposed, he has shown something for the future being a 21 year old but their big guns haven't fired.

While De Villiers' well known weakness against leg spin has been exposed

I believe the proble and solution is simple...he does use his feet to warnie but doesnt trust himself and trust in the technique hence he needs senior player/s to reassure that he is doing the right thing

they will probaly just be known as another team who talked the talked but couldnt walk the walk in Australia.

roostersgal4eva said:
I believe the proble and solution is simple...he does use his feet to warnie but doesnt trust himself and trust in the technique hence he needs senior player/s to reassure that he is doing the right thing

At 21 he has time on his side.

By your same argument, Gilchrist should prove why he is deserving of a batting average over 50 (it's below as on today's effort).

pinkus maximus said:
Too true. If he was Aussie he may still be playing club cricket
What a stupid comment.

If Ab was Aussie, he'd be the best young batter by a mile.

red+black said:
By your same argument, Gilchrist should prove why he is deserving of a batting average over 50 (it's below as on today's effort).

Not a fair analogy, Gilly has proved himself against the Saffies and in pressure situations ; Smith and Kallis haven't really as yet.

eddiesmith said:
Not if he was playing for Victoria, he would be ridiculed and never play test cricket, or atleast not untill he was over 30
Exactly.

If you're from QLD or NSW you get a free ride.

You dont see me care though, they can produce the types of Hopes and MJ and SA would be laughing :D

F/D said:
What a stupid comment.

If Ab was Aussie, he'd be the best young batter by a mile.

That wasnt meant to be derogetory towards AB. Its just the way it is done over here. The last 20 21 yo batsmen to debut for Aus was Ponting almost a decade ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back