Richmond...a reasonable run with injuries and they’re absolute morals to go back to back

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been a funny season with most rivals to the Tigers missing multiple key players at times throughout the year. Tigers have had a fairly healthy list for most of the year. It still looks to be a ridiculously even competition when you put all teams at full strength, but injuries will happen and hitting the finals with a healthy list will go a long way towards making the GF.

It's been a funny season with most rivals to the Tigers missing multiple key players at times throughout the year. Tigers have had a fairly healthy list for most of the year. It still looks to be a ridiculously even competition when you put all teams at full strength, but injuries will happen and hitting the finals with a healthy list will go a long way towards making the GF.

We've been missing Houli, Prestia and Rioli for most of the year. All key players. Dusty has missed a game and been a passenger at times. We have the same list management issues as other clubs we just deal with it better and have more depth.

We've been missing Houli, Prestia and Rioli for most of the year. All key players. Dusty has missed a game and been a passenger at times. We have the same list management issues as other clubs we just deal with it better and have more depth.
That's nowhere near the injury toll that other clubs have had. At one stage Adelaide was missing 8 of their top 10 B&F from 2017. GWS haven't played a game without at least 5 blokes missing. Sydney have had a reasonably good run without injuries too, but were still 6 short on Thursday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Richmond are on top of the table because they haven't had many injuries". The Tigers at their best are as good as it gets, as shown on Thursday night. But if the Tigers were to lose 5-6 of their top 22 and come up against a full strength opponent, then of course that would make a difference.

That's nowhere near the injury toll that other clubs have had. At one stage Adelaide was missing 8 of their top 10 B&F from 2017. GWS haven't played a game without at least 5 blokes missing. Sydney have had a reasonably good run without injuries too, but were still 6 short on Thursday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Richmond are on top of the table because they haven't had many injuries". The Tigers at their best are as good as it gets, as shown on Thursday night. But if the Tigers were to lose 5-6 of their top 22 and come up against a full strength opponent, then of course that would make a difference.

Dogs have probably have it near worst. They're missing most of their mids plus forward and defence. No idea where their sudden form has come from.

Tom Liberatore Knee Season
Liam Picken Concussion Indefinite
Easton Wood Hamstring 10 weeks
Jack Redpath Knee 4-5 weeks
Tory Dickson Hamstring 3 weeks
Jack Macrae Hamstring 2-3 weeks
Clay Smith Knee 2-3 weeks
Bailey Dale Foot 2-3 weeks
Tim English Foot 2-3 weeks
Lukas Webb Thumb 2-3 weeks
Matt Suckling Achilles Test

Best injury list in the league.

Mabior Chol - Foot - 4-6 weeks
Oleg Markov - Knee - 2-4 weeks
Bachar Houli - Groin - 1 week
Dion Prestia - Calf - Test
David Astbury - Ankle - Test

Having Chol and Markov out will seriously dent their chances :D

They do have a great injury list but it has to be noted that their elite players are incredibly durable over a long, long period of time. Cotchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt barely ever miss games. They are clearly managing their injuries really well and its nice to have your best players be durable types. I think its much less likely that Tigers are undone by injuries than other sides.

Yes we've had a great run especially with key players Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt. Those players collectively have almost never missed a game since they started. That is both good luck, good management and some players just don't get injured much.
But Astbury and Grimes missed for years. Now they are back and have been really important. Edwards missed heaps of games over the years, even last year missed 7. Conca is one of the unluckiest players ever. But the last two seasons we've been lucky. Some players just can't get on the park.

Yes we've had a great run especially with key players Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Riewoldt. Those players collectively have almost never missed a game since they started. That is both good luck, good management and some players just don't get injured much.
But Astbury and Grimes missed for years. Now they are back and have been really important. Edwards missed heaps of games over the years, even last year missed 7. Conca is one of the unluckiest players ever. But the last two seasons we've been lucky. Some players just can't get on the park.
Yeah exactly, having a core of players who never miss is an awesome advantage. You've still got to have the skill, tactics, endurance and hunger to win the flag of course.

For me, the two that could knock them off is Melbourne or Port. However, in both cases it depends on which version of these two teams decides to turn up. It's very unlikely that Richmond won't go b2b (barring injuries).

For me, the two that could knock them off is Melbourne or Port. However, in both cases it depends on which version of these two teams decides to turn up. It's very unlikely that Richmond won't go b2b (barring injuries).
Surely Melbourne are looking less likely right now. Port have been good, but Collingwood are playing very good footy and are building nicely.

Surely Melbourne are looking less likely right now. Port have been good, but Collingwood are playing very good footy and are building nicely.

At the moment, sure. I mean if Melbourne hit their best form they will be a chance. Their best is better than Collingwood's (IMO). It's a big IF though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the moment, sure. I mean if Melbourne hit their best form they will be a chance. Their best is better than Collingwood's (IMO). It's a big IF though..
It's all about peaking at the right time, especially for those teams on the rise.

If one of Pendles, Treloar, Sidebottom or Grundy go down, you come back to the pack very, very quickly. You can say the same for ANY side, not just us. Look at WC without Kennedy/Darling, they're struggling.

It's amazing isn't it? You lose your best players you struggle. Who would have thought?
Disagree. Pies have enough depth in their midfield to cover a Treloar (as a timely example).

Grundy is by far our most important player. If he goes down, that will have the same effect on us that losing one of the four I mentioned for Richmond. Actually, probably more of an effect.

Now of course if you add one or two of the Pies you mentioned to our existing list of Elliott, Fasolo, Moore, Broomhead, Aish, Wells, Goldsack and Treloar, well that has a cumulative effect and will obviously be detrimental to us.

But I stand by my statement about the reliance on the four I mentioned for Richmond.

Disagree. Pies have enough depth in their midfield to cover a Treloar (as a timely example).

Grundy is by far our most important player. If he goes down, that will have the same effect on us that losing one of the four I mentioned for Richmond. Actually, probably more of an effect.

Now of course if you add one or two of the Pies you mentioned to our existing list of Elliott, Fasolo, Moore, Broomhead, Aish, Wells, Goldsack and Treloar, well that has a cumulative effect and will obviously be detrimental to us.

But I stand by my statement about the reliance on the four I mentioned for Richmond.

Only half of your injureds are first 22, at best.

How are WC going without Kennedy/Darling?

There are many, in fact most clubs with the issue of a handful of players being the key. It's not just Richmond. So when you hear this monotonous view that we wouldn't win if they're not there, well, no s**t, probably not. Same as other clubs.

Sydney - Buddy,Kennedy. Take either of them out, they struggle, take both out, sunk.
Geelong - speaks for itself. 3 in the guts and Hawkins. Even then, their reliance is unhealthier than ours, as our spread underneath is better. They are way too top heavy. Bottom 6 no good.

I could go through every club, but I've made the point. All in the same boat.

That's what has been impressive about the Pies this year. Depth has obviously improved significantly. Injuries have cruelled your last few seasons.
This year, still injuries, results good. The type of player being injured has worked out alright, if there is such a thing.

Now, your linebreaker (Treloar, was having an awesome year) and a key back (Dunn) are out, I believe it will start to show. Maybe not this week, because Essendon hate pressure and Pies excel, but it will show. Key pieces.

Treloar is different to your other mids. Harder to cover his loss. If De Goey moves into guts more, you lose impact down fwd. You have to start to rob one area to fix another with Treloar out. If you lose Greenwood, Adams, Crisp etc, no one notices. Treloar a huge out.

It's all about peaking at the right time, especially for those teams on the rise.

Read above ;)

Best injury list in the league.

Mabior Chol - Foot - 4-6 weeks
Oleg Markov - Knee - 2-4 weeks
Bachar Houli - Groin - 1 week
Dion Prestia - Calf - Test
David Astbury - Ankle - Test

Having Chol and Markov out will seriously dent their chances :D

Been that way for two years.

They are blessed.

What was the injury list like at Geelong 2007? or Hawthorn 2013-2015??
Legit question. I honestly don't know and think it would be interesting if dominant premiership teams generally have a good run with injuries...

Let me just rephrase that statement to give it a more accurate context.

"dominant premiership teams generally have a good run with injuries" should read, "teams require a good run with injuries to win premierships"

Melbourne clearly flounder on the big stage and struggle with expectation. Their full list should really take it to Richmond and create an intriguingly close match, but the tigers play the big games well and do it comfortably. Pies with a full list vs Richmond is an interesting one. They were toe-to-toe for theee quarters before Richmond ran over them. Pies were though, from memory, two players down by that stage but happy to be corrected.
Either way, b2b is well and truly on the cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back