Autopsy Richmond v Carlton, AFL Rd 1 2020 - Thursday 19 March 2020 - 7:25 PM (AEST) - Teams announced

Tigers v Blues - who wins?

• Tigers by lots

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Tigers by a bit

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Draw? Too close to call?

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Blues by a little bit

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't quite understand the Carlton optimism. Carlton were shocking. You won't always get 8 goals from free kicks.
Jack Martin is a great pick up though.

Without Martin and Cripps, Carlton look very light on talent.

I don't quite understand the Carlton optimism. Carlton were shocking. You won't always get 8 goals from free kicks.

Rubbish.

Weitering, Docherty and SPS were fantastic last night, Walsh is a gun, we’ve then got Curnow and McKay sitting in the stands.

We still don’t have great depth, but our current and future top end talent is the least of our problems.

Rubbish.

Weitering, Docherty and SPS were fantastic last night, Walsh is a gun, we’ve then got Curnow and McKay sitting in the stands.

We still don’t have great depth, but our current and future top end talent is the least of our problems.
I didn't say Martin and Cripps are your only good players. 5-6 players won't be enough to do anything really. Depth is concerning. Carlton and Brisbane went through a similar rebuilding phase. Brisbane are stacked with talent. St Kilda also went through a similar phase. Not sure what happened to Carlton's when it's still fairly light on talent.

Dow apparently was pick 3. Another missed one.

GC are now stacking their side with talent. Will quickly pass Carlton if they don't choose right.

There are TONS AND TONS AND TONS of threads questioning Carlton as part of the Big 4. At least two, anyway. There is no need to start a new one.

Go to the Bay if you want to start another troll thread about this.
It’s funny because my thread didn’t mention the words big 4 clubs it mentioned how Carlton supporters view there club compared to others were you the mod that merged the threads ? If that’s the case there needs to be a rule put in place we’re mods shouldn’t be allowed to moderate on threads involving there own clubs it’s a massive conflict of interest

We played without basically our entire forward line and dominated the ball out of the middle, Richmond basically had to wait for us to make errors to score.

It was neither shocking nor full of optimism, a midfield of kids isn't going to have the running capacity and strength to stop a bunch of athletes overlapping for grandma goals out the back.

It’s funny because my thread didn’t mention the words big 4 clubs it mentioned how Carlton supporters view there club compared to others were you the mod that merged the threads ? If that’s the case there needs to be a rule put in place we’re mods shouldn’t be allowed to moderate on threads involving there own clubs it’s a massive conflict of interest
Get this man a tissue

Mate we are better than you , count yourself lucky we cruised for over a half and made the scoreboard look respectable
You don't win contested ball and rely on perceived pressure to get the ball back and then use the fact you have some elite athletes to create space to go end to end. It is the perfect high % game plan every coach dreams of because it doesn't require half as much talent to achieve, it also doesn't have gears you essentially wait for your opponent to make mistakes and react.

When you look good it is because the opposition is rushing disposal making stupid mistakes but if they tidy that up you can not hurt them near as much. The arrogance in you has you believing this is when you guys aren't trying ignorant to the fact there is nothing they can do.

Carlton is a mile off Richmond you have that right, Walsh is our only runner through the middle that can match the KMs per game and he is still light and easily brushed off, we will never be able to stop that transition once we make the mistake and turn it over.

Nah I'm not wrong. Your initial post was full of s**t. I kind of admire the fact you're sticking to your guns.

Enjoy the hill you're dying on. At least you're quarantined.

Enjoy the season if we get one.

Quote me and tell me what was wrong with it.

Which rebuild are you happy with?

The doomed Pagan rebuild?

The prematurely aborted Ratten rebuild?

The I don't see how we can be beaten Malthouse rebuild?

The never amounted to anything Bolton rebuild?

The SOS 2 spoons in 5 years rebuild?

or

The We've Only Just Begun Teague rebuild?

A new coach does not equal a rebuild. We have only really had the one ... The 5 year SOS rebuild. The spoons don't matter given how much we turned over the list and how young we made that list.

I realise you don't want to discuss rebuilds though, and this was more about giving a laugh to others so I'll leave it at that.

Did you see the dive he took, head in hands, when Vlastuin gave him a shove? Embarrassing.

Can't say I noticed. It happens though. Dylan Grimes took a dive last year and he's not lacking in physicality. Milking contact is pretty much drilled into players' psyche sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering must have spent the summer watching old replays of Rance in action, minus the hack kicks out of defensive 50 and brain fades on the last line.

Gave Lynch an absolute pasting.
Did he? I was busy watching our small forwards tear your shite defence a new one.

Lots of "Richmond lifted their intensity" to stay in front is not what i saw. It was Carlton not being able to sustain their intent for long enough that kept Richmond in the game. Players don't "ease off" when they have a good lead, they play to win by as much as they can, percentage after all is King. Carlton started slowly and if they had played at capacity from the get go they would have won convincingly.
They don't intentionally ease off, but when it's crystal clear the game is over before half time, then sure players ease off. Happens all the time. I watch them every week and that was them going around 70%. It's likely they're still a way off their fitness peak and I do think that played into it.

You don't win contested ball and rely on perceived pressure to get the ball back and then use the fact you have some elite athletes to create space to go end to end. It is the perfect high % game plan every coach dreams of because it doesn't require half as much talent to achieve, it also doesn't have gears you essentially wait for your opponent to make mistakes and react.

When you look good it is because the opposition is rushing disposal making stupid mistakes but if they tidy that up you can not hurt them near as much. The arrogance in you has you believing this is when you guys aren't trying ignorant to the fact there is nothing they can do.

Carlton is a mile off Richmond you have that right, Walsh is our only runner through the middle that can match the KMs per game and he is still light and easily brushed off, we will never be able to stop that transition once we make the mistake and turn it over.
When we wanted to turn it up a gear we do , eg; last qtr . It's obvious our team saves energy when we are in front by a long way

People on here get way too caught up in the week-to-week performances, especially early in the year when we've all been starved of footy for 6 months. But by the end of this season, I'm 100% sure that this match and how it played out will be completely irrelevant to the fortunes of both the RFC and CFC, except for the fact that Richmond got the W and Carlton got the L.

There's a reason most Richmond supporters on here jokingly refer to the annual R1 fixture as "NAB/Marsh 3" :D it's because despite Richmond ALWAYS looking a bit shaky in Round 1, and the Blues ALWAYS having those little bursts of good footy in this fixture, the seasons ultimately play out and give a broader context of where these 2 clubs are at.

Carlton are in full rebuild and development mode of their list, while Richmond are the established champions of this competition at the moment. Nothing I saw on Thursday night really changed that narrative for me, because I literally saw Carlton do the EXACT SAME THING in Round 1 2019, and it had absolutely no bearing on anything come Round 23, or on Grand Final day.

Things change, and eventually one of these years, it will swing the other way, and Carlton will actually become good enough to win this fixture (or Richmond will decline enough), but there was nothing on Thursday night to suggest to me that 2020 will be any different than previous years, in terms of how the season may pan out.

If anything, the evidence over the past few years suggests that Richmond playing at their very best early in a season can actually be detrimental to our overall success (see 2018), and it also suggests that no matter how good the Blues look in defeat, it rarely translates into future high quality performances that year on a consistent basis.

When we wanted to turn it up a gear we do , eg; last qtr . It's obvious our team saves energy when we are in front by a long way
You talking about the 2 junk.time goals after we missed.shots to bring it back to single figures? pretty obvious those were scored because Carlton gave up on winning and stopped running as hard.

A new coach does not equal a rebuild. We have only really had the one ... The 5 year SOS rebuild. The spoons don't matter given how much we turned over the list and how young we made that list.

I realise you don't want to discuss rebuilds though, and this was more about giving a laugh to others so I'll leave it at that.
As I said to the other Blues fan, IMO a new coach is the start of a rebuild as they implement their own game style, they change up players roles, they recruit and delist/trade players that no longer suit the way they want to play.

I also said to another that IMO Teague needs to quickly move away from having the older blokes as key players in the side and start fast tracking the younger bloke they want to have replace them.

So I'm actually quite serious about discussing the Carlton rebuild, because all banter aside there is some promising signs, but IMO they need to be more aggressive in how they go about it and take a bit more short term pain to make quicker and bigger gains.

As I said to the other Blues fan, IMO a new coach is the start of a rebuild as they implement their own game style, they change up players roles, they recruit and delist/trade players that no longer suit the way they want to play.

I also said to another that IMO Teague needs to quickly move away from having the older blokes as key players in the side and start fast tracking the younger bloke they want to have replace them.

So I'm actually quite serious about discussing the Carlton rebuild, because all banter aside there is some promising signs, but IMO they need to be more aggressive in how they go about it and take a bit more short term pain to make quicker and bigger gains.

I think the whole play kids who don't deserve is how sides stuff up rebuilds because lets face it 90% of players who are good enough to make it at AFL level will force their way into the team anyway. Rebuilds is more about maximising draft capital and getting as many chances as possible to draft high quality players.

I mean look at Richmond's rebuild - Hardwick playing all those hack kids in 2010/11 didn't really have a huge positive impact on the future at all

We played without basically our entire forward line and dominated the ball out of the middle, Richmond basically had to wait for us to make errors to score.

It was neither shocking nor full of optimism, a midfield of kids isn't going to have the running capacity and strength to stop a bunch of athletes overlapping for grandma goals out the back.
If you really think that's the reason for Carlton's awful performance minus the free kicks, then you'll be in for a world of shock.

You're relying on McKay, Curnow and an ageing Betts. Right.

You had an absolutely charmed run in the first half from the umps, against a team that started the season with no forward line due to injury. Your opposition suffered several injuries early in the match. Your team has enjoyed a famously fortunate run with injury. And you managed to get away with the win tonight. Congrats.

But it's pretty silly to now sit here and say "Where's the improvement yo?"
Charmed run in the first half when Carlton got 7 or their first 8 goals from free kicks?

Back