Analysis Ricks Analysis (The Shinboner Blog)

Remove this Banner Ad

"So, when North had possession, they went direct – to the marking power. They went to pack situations – where marking power has the best chance to shine. They brought numbers to the fall of the ball – to make it a contest, and stop Richmond from any quick rebound. Football can be very simple sometimes".

Indeed.

We should have been doing this from round 1.

A slight non-North tangent, talking about how Carlton found themselves in this position - https://theshinboner.com/2019/06/03/carltons-road-to-nowhere-brendon-bolton-sacked-stephen-silvagni/

I think we (and North) can take some lessons out of it on how incredibly hard it is to do a full rebuild and all the pitfalls which come along with it. So basically not to pay too much attention when the next mainstream piece comes out saying we should trade Higgins, Cunnington, etc for as high a draft pick as possible.

Quality as always.

In your opinion would playing Ahern ahead of Garner had a tangible impact on the result?

I understand the question is a little If's and buts.

I think it would have had some sort of impact, just because he's a midfielder GWS would have had to respect at stoppages. Who knows if it'd mean one goal closer, two goals closer, but in theory it would have helped.

Nice analysis.

Do you think the Giants could have had the luxury to play their retaining possession style of footy if they were 12-23 points down at half time?

Great read as always Rick. Do you think it's a style of play that's sustainable long term? It is fantastic to watch but it must be taxing

I think so - not to the level of last night - but the pressure doesn't have to be that good to beat most teams in the competition.

My theory is that even though pressure is a skill, it's a more controllable skill than being able to nail targets by foot or hand, which is why it's such a big part of today's game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done a few pick swap trades actually - obviously that Gold Coast trade is probably the biggest heist of all time, but it also shows that he trusts his recruiting staff.

They hunt in packs now like velociraptors 😉
Thank you so much I'll definitely take note at the next one i go to, appreciate the clear explanation for a newb like me

I think, overall, Mason Wood is an underestimated player on Big Footy these days. I never thought I’d be saying that, given the massive expectations we placed on him over the years. His second efforts are massive, a testament to his gut running. I thought he was done and dusted after the injury- he looked so forlorn. However, he willed himself back on and had an impact in the last quarter without really troubling the stats guy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think, overall, Mason Wood is an underestimated player on Big Footy these days. I never thought I’d be saying that, given the massive expectations we placed on him over the years. His second efforts are massive, a testament to his gut running. I thought he was done and dusted after the injury- he looked so forlorn. However, he willed himself back on and had an impact in the last quarter without really troubling the stats guy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's come back into our side from a completely different angle, and I love it. No longer the star Forward prospect of yore...I somehow feel like that came to an end when he got concussed taking that massive mark a couple years back. He seemed to have had a waxing and waning confidence issue all along, but that injury really seemed to knock him back (no pun intended) for quite a while.

It's been great watching him work his way back in as a more mature, gritty type of player. Less flash, more substance. He feels more real now. Does lots of stuff that goes unheralded because it's not fancy. And I absolutely love that he kept trying to come back out and play yesterday. I hope he never gets accused of being "soft" on here again.

I also love that Rick18 has spent time analysing the part that Wood and Kanye are playing right now. Can use a bit more love for those two around here on most days.

I think all of our forwards have worked together so well the last month or so. They can't all kick the bags but they are all playing an important role structurally.
There's more improvement to come as well.

Multiple times yesterday Larkey and BBB ended up in the same spot.

There were times in the Collingwood game where the same thing happened. But that is a great illustration of it. Pretty much perfect.

The way we'd get sucked into contests and leave spare opposition players out the back was a constant weakness under Scott. Not just this year but especially so this year at times. Our field kicking is already improving and as you show the structure around contests is better so all we really need is consistent set shots from the whole side for an extended period of time and every consistent weakness under Brad is gone or at least being addressed more effectively than they were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back