Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thurs March 18th 7.25pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While not quite as bad, SPS looks to get clipped on the back of the head here - if Williams goes despite lack of force so should Gresham.

View attachment 1072072

Umpire blindsided and wrong jumper, commentators - not head high, low impact, nothing to see, plus the AFL darlings, and our club, not giving concussion test at the end of the game!!!

Zac Williams isn't exactly the HUGE loss everybody thinks he is, because we have never had him previously. He was only added to make further improvement to the line-up. But I must say that he will certainly prove to be a brilliant acquisition when he does come in for the following match and onward.

What worries me the most is our shortage of available KPPs, especially those for up forward. I truly believe that had we have them all available to choose from, we could have potentially stretched out their backline and put pressure on them.

As for the whole idea that Richmond will SMASH us. FFS, when have they ever done so against us lately? In nearly every occasion, we manage to pull ourselves back into the game. But then again, it is our predictability that sees us losing respect from people in regards to this timeslot. We simply need to stop these early blowouts.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Betts was named for this game (just to see him make the 200-game milestone with us). Ideally, it's better for this to not be the case but who knows.

Tigers are certainly not unbeatable as no team is. However, we will not get anywhere near winning or even losing honourably if we are not playing guys in their ideal positions. No more experimenting. Walsh's best at the moment is mostly on the wing. Ed in the engine room. Samo and Setterfield up the ground.

I am pretty sure Newnes, McKay And Weiters will all be good to go. Seems to me we were just taking the cautious approach with them. And they have the week break to recover.

And I am hoping we do sign up Oscar. It is better to have somebody to fall back on than having no one at all. I'd skip on Moore. He's had his chances and didn't take them.

Richmond should win convincingly, but only by around 20 points.

My Ideal Line-Up For Round 1

FB -
Lachie Plowman - Liam Jones - Sam Docherty
HB - Adam Saad - Jacob Weitering - Tom Williamson
C - Sam Walsh - Patrick Cripps - Jack Newnes
HF - Jack Silvagni - Levi Casboult - Jack Martin
FF - Marc Murphy - Harry McKay - Zac Fisher
R - Marc Pittonet - Paddy Dow - Ed Curnow

I - Sam Petrevski-Seton, David Cuningham, Lochie O'Brien, Will Setterfield

E - Michael Gibbons, Liam Stocker, Matt Owies, Lachie Fogarty

Last edited:
Starting to lose faith in Willo as a defender. Fumbly and has a penchant for just running into tacklers. Often stalls forward thrusts. Wing is better suited.

I hardly got to view the Thurs match but saw enough poor disposal to worry me that we’ve STILL got plenty of improvement to make on that front.

Going with your thoughts on LOB. Think Walsh needs to be on the other side.

Parks encouraging in the 2’s. If young Carroll keeps performing & shows elite disposal, an early promotion could be on the cards ✅

Newnes & Gibbo also in the fray.

View attachment 1071781
I agree with what you're saying about Willo, but if he's going to be moved out of the back line, we need someone to replace him there.

Even if Williams isn't suspended, I don't want to see him stuck in the defence. The only other option is moving a LOB/Newnes/Setters out of the midfield and onto the HBF.

I think we need to wait until one of Marchy or Newman comes back from injury before putting Willo on a wing.

I really like O’Brien, I think he has something. Maybe replacement for Murphy?
Murphy already has a spot on a HFF, so I doubt LOB would replace Murphy in the forward line.

I still think O'Brien has a spot in the team, but he'd need to be in front of guys like Gibbons, Betts, Cunners and Newnes to play rd 1.

FB: Plowman Jones Doc
HB: SPS Weitering Saad
C: Setterfield Walsh Newnes
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: Betts McKay Fisher
R: Pittonet Cripps Williams

Int: JSOS, Ed, Dow, Fogarty
After rewatching the second half, I think Cuningham and Fogarty will play, and LOB will be named if Newnes doesn't get up.

LOB was better than I first thought and should play a fair few games this year. I'll slightly change my prediction:

C: Setterfield Walsh Murphy
HF: Martin Casboult Cuningham
FF: Fogarty McKay Fisher

Int: JSOS, Ed, Dow, LOB

After watching the St Kilda game several times and the Essendon game from my vantage point in Beijing, I feel we have a long way to go before we develop into a good side. Our kicking skills are a mess, our tackling is sub par, sides score far too easily against us and we just bomb the ball into the forward line hoping for the best. Just like last year. A prime example is Ed Curnow. We love the guy but why is he delivering the ball into the forward line? Grunt running, tagging and inside is his go. Why would that not be organised? Of course it is very early so we shall see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the St Kilda game several times and the Essendon game from my vantage point in Beijing, I feel we have a long way to go before we develop into a good side. Our kicking skills are a mess, our tackling is sub par, sides score far too easily against us and we just bomb the ball into the forward line hoping for the best. Just like last year. A prime example is Ed Curnow. We love the guy but why is he delivering the ball into the forward line? Grunt running, tagging and inside is his go. Why would that not be organised? Of course it is very early so we shall see.
It's because Ed is such a good runner that he gets himself in good positions repeatedly and so is consistently there to deliver inside F50.

After rewatching the second half, I think Cuningham and Fogarty will play, and LOB will be named if Newnes doesn't get up.

LOB was better than I first thought and should play a fair few games this year. I'll slightly change my prediction:

C: Setterfield Walsh Murphy
HF: Martin Casboult Cuningham
FF: Fogarty McKay Fisher

Int: JSOS, Ed, Dow, LOB

I don't think Williams will be there rnd 1

Our kicking skills are a mess, our tackling is sub par, sides score far too easily against us
All in the last quarter, the ease at which Dow(x2), Plowman, Williamson and Martin were brushed aside from attempted tackles was not a great look.

I don't think Williams will be there rnd 1
If so I feel Betts is next in line, and we'll cover Williams' rotations with what we have.

Last edited:

we’re going in stealth mode to give opposition a false sense of security and we’ll be hitting all forwards lace out !

My guess:

FB: Plowman Jones Saad
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Walsh E.Curnow Williams
HF: Murphy Casboult Martin
FF: JSOS McKay Fisher

R: Pittonet Cripps Setterfield

Int: SPS, Dow, Fogarty, O'Brien

EMG: Cuningham, Gibbons, McGovern, Betts

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Saad would be given chance to play more forward as opposed to running out of backline when he came to blues?

That goal he kicked was sensational, he should rotate on wing / forward flank and then he could cause havoc as the bombing in forward line would unsettle opposition defence. I think he’s a waste in the backline. If our kicking efficiency was better.

We’d safely enter the centre half forward and that’s when Saad would come into his own. That’s just my opinion.

PRACTISE match in March.........PRACTISE.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit surprised by Gibbons' omission from the senior hitout tbh. Had him as best 22 easily.

Maybe if Zac is out, he'll get a reprieve. Tough to select the 22 - might be a few unlucky fellas.

Get the feel that Fogarty has nabbed that spot (and Fish obviously) over Gibbo and Cunners. Eddie may yet play, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back