Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 14th March 7.30PM @ MCG - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed this half way through last year. He’s just not suited to play that 1-on-1 defender role. Too easily found out by opponents with size and speed.

My theory on Kempy, and a bit Cunners as well, is that they seem too restricted in system & process and they haven’t been able, to this point anyway, adapt to the Carlton defensive system whilst keeping their attacking flair and natural instinct to find the footy.

Kemp is a rare talent IMO but he’s going to quickly become the next Lachie ‘whipping boy’ Plowman if we don’t re-program him into a new role. (Note, Plowman was a similar type of player as a junior…attacking defender, great mark etc)

What is the ideal role? I think there are two options:
1, Plays that intercepting, high marking half back ala Jeremy Howe where he is given license to roam relatively free. (problem with this though…. where does that leave Gov & Marchy?)

2, Moves to the forward line and plays that link up high half forward role which we’ll miss with JSOS being out. He’s got exceptional hands and reads the play well.

If he’s going to be a regular member of the senior team I think we have to re-program him into Option 2.
I also see him as not striking the right balance right now, but it’s certainly a fixable problem.

From my perspective, Kemps instinct is to leave his man and be aggressive to impact the contest. However multiple times per game he second guesses himself and ends up in the dreaded “no man’s land”, he’s left his man so there’s a free forward, and he hasn’t committed to the contest so we don’t actually get the benefit of an outnumber.

This is better hidden when Weiters is being his commanding self, but it’s a balance he needs to get right more often if he’s to play a significant role going forward

Agree! Finally get the mix right with the extra mid. Keeping our bulls fresh in the middle is huge for us otherwise we can get torched the otherway.

Plus we got a goal from both Kennedy and Cripps.
Kennedy looked like he'd pay money to give that off 😂

Show some mercy

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

I also see him as not striking the right balance right now, but it’s certainly a fixable problem.

From my perspective, Kemps instinct is to leave his man and be aggressive to impact the contest. However multiple times per game he second guesses himself and ends up in the dreaded “no man’s land”, he’s left his man so there’s a free forward, and he hasn’t committed to the contest so we don’t actually get the benefit of an outnumber.

This is better hidden when Weiters is being his commanding self, but it’s a balance he needs to get right more often if he’s to play a significant role going forward
Kemp won 100% of his 1 on 1s and intercepted 7 times. I thought he was excellent defensively and launching attacks

I thought you mob were bad. There's a poster on the Punt Road board who actually believes this:

"compare the umpiring in our game vs the carltoon game, both down by big amounts
when carltoon got close the umps started favouring them like mad men, absolute looneys gifting soft free after soft free
when we got close the umps went into damage control to conserve the gold coast/dumma fairytale afl endoresed win"

All he can talk about is some mad umpire conspiracy against Richmond.

Last edited:
Kemp won 100% of his 1 on 1s and intercepted 7 times. I thought he was excellent defensively and launching attacks
He was brilliant. People are right he's more attacking - he's a midfielder who got too big in a place where we didn't need another big mid - that's fine. He's not getting lost. Winning one on ones. Clean. People superimposing his practice game performances on the first game. He was brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack won’t be dropped if he continues like he did on Friday,EH just comes in,for who not sure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He will need to displace either Kennedy, Cottrell or Cunningham in their roles I feel.

Good competition for that forward/mid role which should see us have a hungry and in form player whoever it is at the time.

I hate the sub, wish they would just make it 5 on the bench.

Going to be tough to pick a best 22 in a few weeks when Walsh, Martin et al come back.

I think Carroll deserves a full game see what he can do.

Hopefully we can smash them and put a team away.

Going to be tough to pick a best 22 in a few weeks when Walsh, Martin et al come back.

Carroll was excellent Friday. But he now needs to play a full game and play well. That's his challenge.
My only question is he plays similar to Cripps Kennedy & Hewett and when he came on he pushed Kennedy forward. If that happens what then happens with Martin?

It will be interesting to see what we do. Elijah comes in and can play more fwd/mid and has some leg speed and outside class. He fights with Cuningham Cottrell Fogarty for a spot or adds to them and one of Carroll Hewett Kennedy plays as a sub and allows us to add a fresh bull after half time.

With Walsh, Martin, Weitering, Motlop, Marchbank, E.Hollands all likely available after Tigers game I really have no idea how we will line up. And that's not including Cincotta Cowan Moir C.Durdin S. Durdin Wilson Binns who are all pushing for spots

What I like is depth and competition for spots. That's what makes us better

Agree or even increase bench to 6 maybe with a team of 24.

Basketball has 5 on court with 7 subs…..

I'd like to see 6 on the bench and 120 maximum interchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back