Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

Just watched the AFL 360 interview Crippa did.........

I did not think it was possible to have more respect, pride or admiration for a man.......

I was wrong.

So happy for him to be having his baby girl and loved seeing the pure joy and anticipation in his face.
And if he misses Freo, he misses. It is only football.

Now back to tomorrow......... I am as hard as an unripe avocado and am absolutely throbbing with anticipation
about what we are going to see......... ;)

Good Friday to become GREAT :D

GO BLUES . 40 points plus. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Kemp was our best defender alongside Saad last week, no point to dropping him even if you don't like the odd mistake, as he sets up plenty of play. Playing at the level well and truly, but might be more useful up the ground.

Focus on what Kennedy, Boyd, and Cuningham are doing.
Marchbank can do this, is a better interceptor and isn't prone to 2-3 costly howlers a game (which Kemp has done in the last 3 games he has played).

I would be surprised if it's not both Young and Kemp out (unless Kemp goes forward).

Kemp will be stiff as he showed true glimpses against the Tiggers.

But if the club thinks Marchy is fit enough, then you play him. He’s more assured than Kemp 1v1. He reads the ball beautifully. His disposal isn’t great… but that’s a Kemp problem as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Don’t worry, there is some ludicrous group think on this board…

Marchbank can do this, is a better interceptor and isn't prone to 2-3 costly howlers a game (which Kemp has done in the last 3 games he has played).

I would be surprised if it's not both Young and Kemp out (unless Kemp goes forward).
I would hope the coaches are able to invest the time to see that Young has trouble killing contests on his own more regularly, and the Kemp is more a victim of playmaking flair.

If you're wanting to drop Kemp for his mistakes, then you'd almost have been wanting to drop Saad against Brisbane. Mistake-free* football is just impossible, and Young made it harder for his team at times despite holding up ok.

Kemp has a role to play somewhere in this 22, and it would be infuriating to see him dropped given how much he's rallied since that awful pre-season game.

Boyd has been great...
Expand on this, to literally anything resembling a clear argument, because I have covered my thoughts well enough for you to know them.

Do you feel he's making defensive plays, helping hold shape... are his rebound efforts smoothing over any issues well enough? Does he have a lot of strong matchups, does he offer us a consistent edge?

Expand on this, to literally anything resembling a clear argument, because I have covered my thoughts well enough for you to know them.

Do you feel he's making defensive plays, helping hold shape... are his rebound efforts smoothing over any issues well enough? Does he have a lot of strong matchups, does he offer us a consistent edge?
I like his nails 😁

Kemp might go to the bench or asked to play on a smaller player. With Mcgovern and Kemp being quite mobile, I could see us playing tall in the backline with all 4 of Weiters, March, McGov and Kemp.

Having said that, I feel like Kemp will be dropped.

INS: Weitering, Marchbank, Hollands
OUTS: Young, Kemp, Orazio

TEAM:
Newman Weitering McGovern
Saad Marchbank Williams

O.Hollands Cripps Acres
TDK Cerra Hewett

Hollands Harry Fogarty
Cuningham Charlie Owies

Boyd Carroll Cottrell Kennedy
Sub: Akuei

FUTURE INS: Walsh, Martin, Motlop
FUTURE OUTS: Carroll, Owies, Kennedy (replaces Akuei as sub)
I personally don’t like Kemp being out, but this is the most likely line up apart from sub. Akuei - he’s not ready.

Maybe, Kemp in and one of the other IC players as sub

Expand on this, to literally anything resembling a clear argument
He is one of the best kicks in the team. For a long time this team has lacked elite ball users by foot which has hurt our transition game from D50 and our ability to score from turnover. No coincidence that both aspects of our game have improved when we flooded our defence with elite ball users in Boyd, Saad and McGovern. And to cap it all off Boyd has shown himself to be a more than solid one-on-one defender on smalls.

I am yet to see any argument regarding how swapping Boyd for a tall is going to help us against a North forward that consists of Larkey, CCJ and Zurhaar as their only mid/tall forwards.

Last edited:
Williams Marchbank Saad
Boyd

DeKoning Cerra Hewett
Acres Cripps Cottrell
O.Hollands Carroll

Durdin McKay Cuningham
E.Hollands Curnow Fogarty
Fantasia

Kemp Owies Kennedy Young ????

Good thing is we gain a few more players back this week for selection, unlucky for those who miss out…

I'll do it for you

Boyd is better/more consistent as a pure defender, as well as understanding handover strategies within the back 6

A better decision maker and user all parts of the ground

Kemp is a better marking interceptor if he doesn't run under tge fall of the ball

Only way Kemp stays in ahead of Boyd will be due to match up

Suspect the back 7 will be like our last final in Brisbane, + Williams, - Cincotta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is one of the best kicks in the team. For a long time this team has lacked elite ball users by foot which has hurt our transition game from D50 and our ability to score from turnover. No coincidence that both aspects of our game have improved when we flooded our defence with elite ball users in Boyd, Saad and McGovern. And to cap it all off Boyd has shown himself to be a more than solid one-on-one defender on smalls.

I am yet to see any argument regarding how swapping Boyd for a tall is going to help us against a North forward that consists of Larkey, CCJ and Zurhaar as their only mid/tall forwards.
The argument was to re-shuffle the defence, as we have 5 players in there now who can arguably cover any opponent that Boyd can: Williams, Saad, McGovern, Kemp, Newman.

I don't dispute that Boyd is a clean, long and flat kick and isn't incompetent in terms of his vision, but I don't think he has the other attributes to break the game open with it as much as he should be able to.

Doesn't get clear of many opponents, doesn't get anyone else clear of theirs despite having pinpoint precision over about 55m. That speaks to a lack of repeat efforts and elite vision for the pass. He is arguably still a project player from a medium-to-long term perspective.

Bearing* in mind that I don't think he'll be dropped as a priority - and am not even advocating for that this week - I am begging you to come up with a better argument than 'kick look pretty'.

Last edited:
Williams Marchbank Saad
Boyd

DeKoning Cerra Hewett
Acres Cripps Cottrell
O.Hollands Carroll

Durdin McKay Cuningham
E.Hollands Curnow Fogarty
Fantasia

Kemp Owies Kennedy Young ????

Good thing is we gain a few more players back this week for selection, unlucky for those who miss out…
Isn't Cottrell out for a month?

You need to work on your comprehension skills if you think this was at all my argument
It was before you edited it. You believe he is an elite kick, but I'm not sure there's any stats that* genuinely back this up.

Let's set aside kicking efficiency as a statistic, and agree that he is a flat and fast kick of the ball: how many times a game do you feel he creates a score or directly assists, and how does that compare to players you feel are elite at doing so from the back pocket or HBF position?

As for defensive opponents, which North players do you feel Boyd must be there to defend that Saad, Williams, Newman, McGovern and Kemp cannot?

Last edited:
Kemp might go to the bench or asked to play on a smaller player. With Mcgovern and Kemp being quite mobile, I could see us playing tall in the backline with all 4 of Weiters, March, McGov and Kemp.

Having said that, I feel like Kemp will be dropped.

INS: Weitering, Marchbank, Hollands
OUTS: Young, Kemp, Orazio,

TEAM:
Saad Marchbank Williams

O.Hollands Cripps Acres
TDK Cerra Hewett

Hollands Harry Fogarty
Cuningham Charlie Owies

Boyd Carroll Cottrell Kennedy
Sub: Akuei

FUTURE INS: Walsh, Martin, Motlop
FUTURE OUTS: Carroll, Owies, Kennedy (replaces Akuei as sub)
What happened to Corey Durdin… he’s slipped out and been replaced by Akuei??

It was before you edited it. You believe he is an elite kick, but I'm not sure there's any stats the genuinely back this up.

Let's set aside kicking efficiency as a statistic, and agree that he is a flat and fast kick of the ball: how many times a game do you feel he creates a score or directly assists, and how does that compare to players you feel are elite at doing so from the back pocket or HBF position?
Kicking efficiency is a severely flawed stat and I don't have access to any others that would measure "elite kicking". As such, I just watch the games and especially in the match against Brisbane there were multiple choices by foot Boyd made that I promise you 95% of our team wouldn't make and/or be able to execute.

And it isn't always massive stuff. For instance, check out Boyd's kick to Cripps at 0.27 in the vid below. That kick there would normally go down the line to the one-on-one contest on the wing. Instead he draws Cripps into that open space in the corridor and hits him - now the play breaks down because the handball from Cripps to Kemp doesn't work but that kick improves our chances of scoring.

Now move on to 0.43 in the video when Boyd hits Acres. Acres is leading to the wing to try and make it a 2-on-1 contest out wide. Every player in our team will kick it there but Boyd forces Acres to move back into the corridor and hits a difficult inside kick. Again this opens up the corridor far more than the alternative kick would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back