Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton v Port Sunday 19th July 1.05PM @ the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't you A very upset human at the moment . thank you for your kind words on my spelling error ..
no-one likes a grammar nazi.........

No reason to have a bad feeling and while we may not win, we will be right in the game, so we have every chance

Start of the year, I would have pegged us to be 3/3 against the sides we have played

Beating Demons and Saints, losing Cats and Dogs. Losing to Tigers, beating the bummers

So, it's still 3/3

In the last 4 weeks, things have changed( Saints being the outliner). A developing/lack of continuity side is prone to bad moments/qtrs, it is inevitable.

Rather than conserving energy early in games, it seems that Teague has thrown the gauntlet down to the players and the opposition. We are now going to start hard, we might get weary/falter late, but better to be leading than trying to catch up

This week, that strategy is perfect, Port love being front runners, be level or leading at the first break and they may struggle

The first qtr this week is more crucial than any game we have played
I said a bad feeling, I didn’t say bad rational thoughts.

I might have misheard, but I thought the commentators said during the game on the weekend that he's incredibly heavily front-loaded this year. Something like $1.7m, and then it drops back significantly in the other years.

Am I making this up?
I heard the same. $3M over 5 years. $1.7M in the first year, $1.3 over the next 4.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Teams -

Docherty Jones Plowman
SPS Weitering Williamson

Pittonet Cripps ECurnow
Walsh Setterfield Newnes

Martin Casboult Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern

Murphy Simpson Kennedy Newnes..........That was easy for now

EMG: Fisher JSilvagni Honey Philp

We're not going to change the team even if better prospects are available, are we?

What I'd like to see:
1. A win
2. Setterfield & Kennedy backing up good performances.
3. SPS starting to move further up the field.

Unavailable: CCurnow Kreuzer Marchbank Dow Newman (amazing that these five were/would have been starters in round 1) and Kemp

Teams -

Docherty Jones Plowman
SPS Weitering Williamson

Pittonet Cripps ECurnow
Walsh Setterfield Newnes

Martin Casboult Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern

Murphy Simpson Kennedy Newnes..........That was easy for now

EMG: Fisher JSilvagni Honey Philp

We're not going to change the team even if better prospects are available, are we?

What I'd like to see:
1. A win
2. Setterfield & Kennedy backing up good performances.
3. SPS starting to move further up the field.

Unavailable: CCurnow Kreuzer Marchbank Dow Newman (amazing that these five were/would have been starters in round 1) and Kemp
You might need to take out one of the newnes in the team then. Gibbons.

You might need to take out one of the newnes in the team then.

Right - One Gibbons in.......One Newnes out

We're not going to change last weeks team though, are we?
Would be bold if it was felt that one player may be more suitable than an other, but it won't happen.

Right - One Gibbons in.......One Newnes out

We're not going to change last weeks team though, are we?
Would be bold if it was felt that one player may be more suitable than an other, but it won't happen.
The only change I can see happening is Murphy being given a week off and Fisher coming in. I we are looking at multiple 5 day breaks coming up we might decide to just let Murphy have some extra time to freshen up.

This will be Carlton's biggest test in years, think many questions will be answered about this group after weekends game.

I don't feel quite the same way.

It will be important but should we win, the week after will be our test.
To win this week and not be able to back it up against North, would take the stuffing out of the club.

I know...one week at a time and all that, and as important this game is, I don't feel it will define us, but if we were to win this and lose the week after, it may.

As a long suffering Suns member it's funny to see people gushing about Martins attributes, he's been doing this sort of thing for years. In fact this year his stats are down in nearly every category compared to his time at the Suns. Obviously the shorter qtrs impact that so it's not a critique, but just pointing out that these things aren't really new for him, it's just no one in Victoria ever saw the lad play.

He came into the league being a fantastic contested mark and aerialist for his size and being very strong considering his skinny frame - he reminded me of Burgoyne in that sense. Long arms, fairly skinny but surprisingly strong for his frame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How nice is it to potentially have a selection of best-22/previously-best-22/arguably-best-22 players trying to get back into the team?

In previous years the likes of Fisher, Jack, Dow, O'Brien, etc would have walked back in the first week they were available. Now, as Kennedy can attest, it takes a combination of weeks of consistent form and probably an injury to get that shot.

I also like that there's a bit of flexibility there too; Kennedy for Philp was hardly a like-for-like swap, but Kennedy's form couldn't be denied and they made some adjustments to make it work.

There will surely be limitations on that; I'm not sure I can see Jack getting a game while we've got all of Cripps, Ed, Kennedy, Setterfield, Harry, Levi & Mitch al playing and probably don't want to remove another faster/ground-level player. Our wing/hhf/hf/smaller types are providing some great run, pressure and linking play (even Cuningham's 8 disposal game resulted in 5 scores and had real 'cut them up' moments that I don't want us to lose).

Fisher is the one I'd love to fit in somehow this week. It's hard to judge purely from the telecast, I'm sure if you watch the behind the goals vision for the duration of a game you'll see a stack of defensive running from a guy like Newnes that the coaches love, while we just see his 12 touches and a free or two against and blow up about another 'selection travesty'. Fisher for Newnes might be one of the easier suggestions, but I'm not sure many of us are genuinely in a position to make an objective call.

Of course, if Murph pulls up sore then that's an easy one to check off. I don't want us to 'hide' Murph in a forward pocket because his hip is preventing him from putting up 12km over a game, I'd rather bring in a fit Fisher and have him swap between a wing, hff and maybe one or two runs on-ball.

Gonna be interesting to see how the Port defenders line up on our forwards.

Harry (204), Levi (199)cm, plus Mitch (191) who can play 'above his height' and Martin (186) who is also great overhead, plus potential cameos from Cripps (195), Kennedy (190), Setterfield (192) and probably Big Marc STRENGTH! Pittonet (202) might even pop up at some stage.

Doesn't appear a great matchup on paper for Clurey (193) & Jonas (188) as keys, then there's Burton (191) & McKenzie (191) who are more traditional flankers. They've got Westhoff (199) they could swing back, but that clearly reduces their run & long kicking out of defense.

Conversely we'll have to watch their smaller mid/fwds including those who drift forward l in Boak, Gray, Motlop, Rozzee, Duursma, Butters, Amon and some real danger guys from 50 out in Farrell, McKenzie and Hartlett who love the big roost from 50+.

Obviously Dixon will be a handful. Part of me thinks Weiters gets him, part of me think Jones. I'm not so worried about Marshall, he'll get whoever doesn't get Dixon. This might be one of those 's**t matchup' weeks for Plow as he finds himself minding Gray then having to hurriedly move to Westhoff when he runs forward into the arc, etc.

Lycett, Wines, Boak, Powell-Pepper in the square against Pittonet, Cripps, Ed & Kennedy/Setterfield might provide some brutal contests.

Gonna be interesting.

Go Blues.

Obviously Dixon will be a handful. Part of me thinks Weiters gets him, part of me think Jones. I'm not so worried about Marshall, he'll get whoever doesn't get Dixon. This might be one of those 'sh*t matchup' weeks for Plow as he finds himself minding Gray then having to hurriedly move to Westhoff when he runs forward into the arc, etc.
Jones will be monstered by Dixon. He's a strength player, not an athlete. Marshall is something of the modern athletic forward so Jones is a good fit for him and Weiters should get Dixon.

I'm really interested to see Weiters vs Dixon, should be a great matchup. Strength wise Weiters should be ok but Dixon is the most physically aggressive forward in the comp, by some margin, so I'm curious to see how Jacob handles that part of it. He's never had that mongrel so how will he respond to hyper mongrel?

I have a feeling he'll do well but we'll see.

Jones will be monstered by Dixon. He's a strength player, not an athlete. Marshall is something of the modern athletic forward so Jones is a good fit for him and Weiters should get Dixon.

I'm really interested to see Weiters vs Dixon, should be a great matchup. Strength wise Weiters should be ok but Dixon is the most physically aggressive forward in the comp, by some margin, so I'm curious to see how Jacob handles that part of it. He's never had that mongrel so how will he respond to hyper mongrel?

By quietly getting the job done.

That is a great article. Botlon drilled them and drilled them and when the results didn't come he drilled them some more, maybe he took it to far and maybe if he had release the shackles earlier he might have got the rewards but it is pretty clear Teague's fantastic attitude of go out and have fun only works because the hard work has been done.

Spot on.

The players might not have been happy under Bolton towards the end, but we were a mess when he took over and the focus, discipline and structure he demanded were not only beneficial, but necessary.

I'm also thinking about the difference in reach. He's got a couple of inches on Weitering and my mind is going back the other week to King...

There is gonna be no easy kicks in this game ..goals are gonna be hard to come by ..we really need to be switched on early and prepared to slog it out consistently for four quarters to have a sneaky chance ..I think we will just fall short maybe 9-15 point loss in this one ..but will leave port thinking Carlton will be tough to beat next time around ..port have been really good all year just the one hiccup against the lions at their own patch ..they have an even spread
Started well as posts go, but fell into rapid decline.:p

That is a great article. Botlon drilled them and drilled them and when the results didn't come he drilled them some more, maybe he took it to far and maybe if he had release the shackles earlier he might have got the rewards but it is pretty clear Teague's fantastic attitude of go out and have fun only works because the hard work has been done.
Ah Botlon
Good times but fell into decline because no well oiled team was produced.
Excellent starter though. Perfect young droids mentor and assistant coach for seniors.
Had its run but needed replacing when the upgrade model arrived.
Credit for solid groundwork with the young 'uns.

Would be great to be 5.5:1 in this game.
Port supporters have every reason to think they have this one in the bag, but by weeks end, I doubt that certainty will still be there.

Just can't see a reason to fear this game. That's not to say we're going to win..........but, we're going to win. :)
Seriously though, let's just put up what we did last week and the rest will take care of itself.
The best thing I heard in this weeks media basking glory was from Robbo. (Gasp)
win two, lose one-but pretty soon it will be win 3 and off you go.
That's the way you see a team just before they take off.
(Not verbatim, but gist of it)

Port on top of the ladder, didn't see that coming, perhaps their draw hasn't been overly difficult. Either way it makes this a massive game. A chance to beat a good side and solidify our position in the top 8.

Hard to change a side that had a massive win and had no passengers. Silvagni and Fisher who may have been likely ins may have to wait. In saying that there is always a chance Murphy could and maybe should be rested.

Looking forward to this game, really hoping we bring a hard physic contest to this one. We're a fit side and our skills are ok, when we play hard footy we put it all together like we did against the dogs and IMO we're hard to beat if we do that.

I'd like to think we might rest Murphy next week against North before we head to Perth. Simmo could potentially have a rest this week.
I do have complete trust in AR to get the players right when we do come up to these 4 day breaks.

Spot on.

The players might not have been happy under Bolton towards the end, but we were a mess when he took over and the focus, discipline and structure he demanded were not only beneficial, but necessary.

Yep, it is very hard to tell from the outside, as only those in the 4 walls would know exactly what was going on, but from an outsider's perspective I don't think Teague was the man we needed in 2015 but it seems he was the man we need now...

Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth how the club treated Bolton...real clubs do proper reviews to determine a coaching change, we made the decision based purely on win/loss before we were even half way through a season...gave Bolton the hardest job in footy at the time, with a list rebuild from the ground up with very little 'commodities' to leverage off so as to get a head start...

Still to this day I don't know if the poor performances were because of Bolton's coaching, or the increasing media coverage meaning the players were scared to player a 'free' brand of footy for fear of getting their coach sacked...Crippa's post-match interview after the Brisbane match spoke to how much he still respected Bolton despite his tenure not ending well...

Not saying it was the wrong decision to get rid of him, and results would say it was more likely the right decision, but the process (or lack of considering timing) is still what bothers me...feel like the club 'lucked' into the right decision rather than anything, but I know most will disagree (so don't bother bagging me out)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back