Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Bulldogs & Changes for R10 vs Brisbane

Best on ground

• 1. N. Vlastuin

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • * Other

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just time to let the ass fall out of it i think.

Grimes should retire to allow us another chance in the MSD.

We basically no choices from here anyway but need to go 100% kids from here , if they are ready or not. I'm incredibly concerned by how average the younger guys are looking and/or riddled with injuries. I'm genuinely not sure if ANY of them are genuine keepers. They all look ordinary

We have 22 players under 24 & 5 months & I wouldn't put any money on any single one of them playng 150 games, or even 100.

From that group, here are the players I am super confident will play 100+ games:

Ross
MRJ
Gibcus
T Brown
McAuliffe

Here are the players I believe are better than 50/50 to play 100+:

Mansell
Ryan
Dow
Ralphsmith
Sonsie
Tresize
Campbell

So even if only 3 of the top group get 100+, 2 of the bottom group and 1 other (eg, Clarke. green, Smith, Coulthard etc…), there’s 6 (it’ll be somewhere between 7-10).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We were in with a genuinely good chance of making the top-8 with 5-rounds to go of 2023, when we led the Demons by 3 goals just before HT - that’s a dozen games ago. That night TT, Bolton and Hopper had 72 touches, 44 contested with 21 clearances and 2 goals. (It’s amazing what Bolton can do with a couple of big bodies around him)

Everyone just needs to calm the truck down.

Also want to mention Dan Rioli in the back half. Looks great running out but how often does he penetrate with his kicking? He is not far off Jayden Short when it comes to decision making.
I take your point but the only thing I think he is guilty of is trying to do too much.

He can see it’s all stagnant around and ahead of him and he’s just trying to make something happen.

At this stage I will settle for effort, and he’s one who is doing his best

Gee I remember why I hightailed out of this forum when dipping my toes back in 2012; what a toxic place. If our inner club was 1% as toxic as this place; we'd be the Tasmanian Tigers by now. The dynasty years were wasted on a bunch of the deep-seated masochists in this forum; but don't worry you'll get your kicks blasting anyone and everything here over the next couple of years. The hate for Gale is especially jarring and please give Yze a chance.

While that game was potentially grimmer than Geelong at Docklands in '07, we need to stay grounded. How can you expect to build a game plan when your key pieces are missing or swapping in and out each week. Our best was quite promising earlier in the season.

There's a ton of "pLaY tHe KiDs!!1!" mentality here but feels like you're just as quick to tear them apart once they're getting a run. Our backline has shown enough to see a future around once you add in Gibcus. We conceded the most i50s against the dogs then we EVER have as a team and it's in the top 5 of any team in the last 10 years so of course Miller, Young and Co will get caught out; overall I see a good future there. Our midfield showed exactly why we brought in Hopper and Taranto; but I'm sure that decision copped the Kane treatment here over the last 12 months. We have a build ahead of us; but we are a different club to a decade ago. Every just needs to breath and go hug someone near them or something.

first game of the year for Bauer today, and didn’t come back on after going to the bench 10 minutes into the 4Q. Morris said after the game there’s things in his game they’d be working on next week, so assume that means he’ll be playing VFL

Reckon Tresize would have come in, but was concussed.

Surely McAullife gets promoted.

Coulthard for Rioli seems logical

Cumbo? Hope he plays
Bauer is shit

I take your point but the only thing I think he is guilty of is trying to do too much.

He can see it’s all stagnant around and ahead of him and he’s just trying to make something happen.

At this stage I will settle for effort, and he’s one who is doing his best
Both of the Rioli boys get a tick from me as they’re always genuinely making a 100% effort. They’re the least of our issues.

Last edited:
Watched the game high in the stands on the wing and the thing that clearly stood out last night was structure. Bulldogs drilled with defensive mids who could launch from half back with simple handball chains and overloads. Well positioned, communicating and spaced out. We were a rabble. I get we’ve got young inexperienced players, but structurally we were nowhere - and that is coaching and system. How easily they went from one end of the ground to the other repeatedly with zero sign of correction during the night is an indictment on the coaches. It was as clear as dogsballs watching it unfold repeatedly. And our players - especially the experienced midfielders - just seem to have forgotten how we were successful in the past. A few people in the team need to sacrifice their game for defensive structure - but no one was prepared to do it. It was a mess.
It's clear as day that the players are lost out there.

I'd also say Nank is Nank and not much has changed. Always given away frees and done stupid stuff, just looks even worse now he's captain.
Is his effort down, maybe, could be playing injured too, they never tell you that, usually not until end of season and then it makes sense why the output was down.
Short, (I know where you stand on him) is the worry. As you have said , should be traded while he has value, but as a vice captain would they do that? Will be interesting to see at seasons end.
199cm Nank has never been a premier ruxk of the competition. He used to bring psycho attacks on the ball but that's dropped off last 2 seasons. I felt it might have been to let the new players Hopper and Taranto do that. So now he's just rucking like the short player he is. I know they are still having back up ruck off
the bench. I'd be giving that job to Ryan

We should trade Gibcus and Sonsie imo. Gibcus is too injury prone unfortunately and Sonsie hasn't shown enough thus far.
We could get a first round pick for those two.
Should have traded Grimes then based on this with Gibcus.

I am happy to get the good draft pick but i don't like being laughed at, I've had enough of that for many years prior to our dynasty.

Unfortunately we are back to being a 'basket case' in the eyes of the oppos.

It was good while it lasted. Happy to bottom out before Benny and Tassie get all the draft concessions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd also say Nank is Nank and not much has changed. Always given away frees and done stupid stuff, just looks even worse now he's captain.
Is his effort down, maybe, could be playing injured too, they never tell you that, usually not until end of season and then it makes sense why the output was down.
Short, (I know where you stand on him) is the worry. As you have said , should be traded while he has value, but as a vice captain would they do that? Will be interesting to see at seasons end.
Your first paragraph says it all. And they have had him captain for 3 seasons!!!

We were in with a genuinely good chance of making the top-8 with 5-rounds to go of 2023, when we led the Demons by 3 goals just before HT - that’s a dozen games ago. That night TT, Bolton and Hopper had 72 touches, 44 contested with 21 clearances and 2 goals. (It’s amazing what Bolton can do with a couple of big bodies around him)

Everyone just needs to calm the truck down.
The Balta and Bolton forward strategy. Sticking with Dow has been interesting. I love Dow but Bolton is a great clearance player too. I think he was club leader in that stat one year. Maybe yze is sneakily tanking the whole time

I was really disappointed with Nank's game. It's no secret that I haven't been a fan of his for a while now. It's nothing against him as I was a big proponent of his recruitment.
He just seems to have these extensive patches where he is just unable to compete physically which is/was his main asset.
English made him look second rate, it was straight up embarrassing. There's rumors floating around of an impending contract extension for two years. That, IMO, would be a huge mistake.

I copped a lot of feedback last year when I said he should have been traded instead of Soldo. I'm not saying I was right or wrong, but we need to pick up a ruckman who can actually compete for a season. Not just a third of it.
I thought Nank competed manfully in the ruck...Doggies have a lot of tall boys!
Never saw Nank falling over like a lot of his mates...
Feck he is the least of our worries...without Nank we would have been completely rolled!
The Soldo thing...I dont know...and how is Soldo going for Port?!?

We need to sack Meehan before worrying about anything else

could have 50 first round picks and it wouldn't matter if he's the one tending to them
They won’t do it mid season. Surely gets done come the end of the year.

After yesterdays spirited performance from our VFL side, the following should be considered for selection

- Kano Mc has to come into the side…is quality…but I wouldn’t be asking him to do too much grunt work in the seniors at this stage

- Jacob.B ….paranoid about him getting injured….was awesome yesterday reading the play from down back, marking everything….

- Matty C -this guy is a clever cookie….runs and runs….is a goal kicker…automatic in for MRJ

- Ryno needs to come in….nank is cooked for more than half the game…and having pseudo rucks in Pickett etc doesn’t work…Ryno can rest forward to help Mykelti out and get it to ground…Ryno had 43 HOs yesterday

Trigger played well but won’t get selected bc of concussion protocols possibly

Last edited:
Your memories just fading ti there’s been plenty as bad and worse ,,,,and you know it. It was s**t that’s for sure and bloody disappointing so many unforced errors from senior players ,,,,,Pat on back to Dan rioli was still busting a gut to final siren dashing thru the middle , could have put cue in rack like the rest
Sorry Bo I had to wait until morning for my feet to warm up as i only have ten fingers and i was afraid i would have to remove my socks as i may have needed the extra digits to count beyond 10. The reason why i said it was the worst performance by a Richmond team in my 51 years was bc there were 11 multiple premiership players out there and if you can name me a Tiger side that's lost by 15 goals in the last 51 years with more premiership players then i will admit i have a fading memory. lol :moustache: ;) :)

Last edited:
Gee I remember why I hightailed out of this forum when dipping my toes back in 2012; what a toxic place. If our inner club was 1% as toxic as this place; we'd be the Tasmanian Tigers by now. The dynasty years were wasted on a bunch of the deep-seated masochists in this forum; but don't worry you'll get your kicks blasting anyone and everything here over the next couple of years. The hate for Gale is especially jarring and please give Yze a chance.

While that game was potentially grimmer than Geelong at Docklands in '07, we need to stay grounded. How can you expect to build a game plan when your key pieces are missing or swapping in and out each week. Our best was quite promising earlier in the season.

There's a ton of "pLaY tHe KiDs!!1!" mentality here but feels like you're just as quick to tear them apart once they're getting a run. Our backline has shown enough to see a future around once you add in Gibcus. We conceded the most i50s against the dogs then we EVER have as a team and it's in the top 5 of any team in the last 10 years so of course Miller, Young and Co will get caught out; overall I see a good future there. Our midfield showed exactly why we brought in Hopper and Taranto; but I'm sure that decision copped the Kane treatment here over the last 12 months. We have a build ahead of us; but we are a different club to a decade ago. Every just needs to breath and go hug someone near them or something.
well said.

Stating the obvious but our biggest problem is hardness at the ball in the middle, followed by our lack of spread offensively and defensively. Time to do something different. Time to add some real hardness in the middle.

I've asked a few times, why not throw Mansell through the middle. He's as hard as they get, and he's actually quite composed with ball in hand at the moment. He's fast, fit and angry. Does anyone think he wouldn't be better than Graham in there.

MacAuliffe is likewise tough as nails, and he is a natural inside mid. Stuffed up by making him the emergency and sub from memory, when he needed to get run in his legs in the VFL. After a couple of good games in the middle, and games where he worked hard all over, he looks ready although he is a season away in reality. Anyone think he wouldn't be better than Dow in there.

Finally, very left field, but MacIntosh's second half in the middle yesterday was so interesting to watch. He is a massive midfielder and he crashed and bashed every chance he got. Plus he is very fit and mobile for his size. Pickett other than the Melbourne game has been little use on ball, swap then and see what happens.

This is the thing about playing senior players in the VFL, you can throw them around and suddenly you see something different. Graham should have been doing that, getting down and dirty and getting his hands on the ball so when he comes back in, his form warrants a recall.

Prestia wasn't to bad for his first game back. He seems to have slimmed down a bit, hopefully that will take some stress of his body, but he moved pretty well all up.

Time to give Coulthard a go. He is a much better player in space than the tightness of VFL.

Bauer was so impressive yesterday. First game of the year and he didn't miss a beat. I was talking to a SA footy watcher and he asked me what Richmond had done to Bauer, because he was star in SA. Had everything he said.

I think he is a forward because of his aerial ability, as he has shown winning games of his back late last year in the VFL. He is only 191cm, but has a great leap. And he has a serious kick on him. Might need another game or two, but he is exactly what we need up front, someone who can jump on the back of forwards, mobile and a great kick.

After an extraordinary period of injuries I’m willing to give the players a mulligan for the weekend. I feel it’s really only the first quarter and a half of GC game and the weekend where we’ve been less than acceptable in effort and desperation.

If it lingers I’ll be disappointed, but right now I’ll excuse it as nearly every team has games they’d prefer to take back from an effort point of view.

FWIW, when viewing the ‘tracker’ GPS details in the AFL app the pure numbers suggest we were running our arses off from a kms point of view, and I’d say it’s those GPS numbers which Yze is referencing when he says post game he can’t question the effort. If we genuinely weren’t trying the distance we are running would be well down, and it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back