Autopsy Roast & Toast vs North Melbourne Rd 11, 2019, & Changes for Geelong rd 12

Best players vs North Melbourne

• Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • David Astbury

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Dylan Grimes

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nathan Broad

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Shane Edwards

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Bachar Houli

Votes: 139 80.3%
  • Brandon Ellis

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Dion Prestia

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Kamdyn McIntosh

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Jack Higgins

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Jason Castagna

Votes: 20 11.6%
  • Dan Butler

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Dustin Martin

Votes: 135 78.0%
  • Tom Lynch

• Noah Balta

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Ivan Soldo

• Trent Cotchin

Votes: 52 30.1%
  • Nick Vlastuin

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Sydney Stack

Votes: 117 67.6%
  • Liam Baker

Votes: 63 36.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Josh Caddy

Votes: 5 2.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our last stinker of a performance was at Docklands, against the Doggies.
Something about that venue.
Our first loss in four rounds, a wake-up call.
Hopefully, Lambert is fit.
Hoping Rioli, Menadue, Graham play well tomorrow and put their hands up for selection.
Would definitely dump Bolton, then look at dropping Garth, Higgins if necessary.
Also hope the Hawks defeat the Lions, it maintains our buffer at fifth on the ladder.

Thought Wankley brought in the 6,6,6 rule? Obviously wasn't implemented tonight. Norph had more at every contest, more behind the ball and even numbers in their 50. Some of our short people must have shrunk even smaller

I watched the preliminary final against GWS the other day. World of difference between how that game was commentated and umpired to the **** we cop now. World's apart.
The hate is strong.
Yep totally agree, it's really noticeable how much we are hated. I can't enjoy the footy anymore because of the double standards.
I also think that there is a strong connection between the increase in crowd violence and the umpiring. Supporters are become frustrated and restless.
Gil and his minions have fu#%ed this game and there is no turning back.

Sorry guys next Friday I'm taking the train to work and buying lunch. On the positive side it was only a 6 goal loss.

Baker Balta Bolton Garthwaite Higgins Stack all 6 are first or second year players and I doubt there is another side in the top 8 that is carrying that many in their side week after week. With that many kids in the side consistency is going to be an issue. Baker Stack and Garthwaite had a dip tonight, thought Garthwaite was thrown under the bus a little given the job on Brown until Brown had kicked his 5th. Don't mind the show of faith in the kid, and I hope that Leppa and Rance in particular get around him and show him some love. Put it down as a learning experience.

A 6 goal loss probably means no Rising Star nod for Stack this week but really the kid doesn't need a nomination, he is going to be a legit star of the competition for a very long time. His sublime one touch gathers are a thing of beauty and his ability to go back with the flight of the ball time and again is something that can't be taught.

Baker backed up last weeks Rising Star nomination with another solid game. 17 disposals 6 marks 5 tackles 2 clearances 4 I50s 2 R50s shows that he tried hard and didn't rest on his laurels. Quickly becoming this years Lambert of 2017, where he just goes about his business with a minimum of fuss and flies under the radar but is quite important to the make up of the side.

Unfortunately for Balta Bolton and Higgins this week was an off week for them.

Bolton 10 disposals 1 tackle 0 goals a couple of horrible moments coming into F50 where he went the miracle instead of doing the team thing to the top of the square. Dockers game was 4 weeks ago, since then 32 disposals 7 tackles & 1 goal in 3 games probably means time to go back and refocus on the defensive & team first aspects of his game.

Balta has been good since the Dockers game but again as a first year kid he is going to have his down games and he had one tonight. Couple of horrible turnovers especially one where he went back into the middle, but I don't mind it as it shows a willingness to take the game on. Fully expect him to bounce back next week.

Higgins has struggled to have much of an impact since the ANZAC game. Averages 15 disposals >3 tackles >1 goal per game over the last 5 weeks. A run in the VFL to find his spark again might be what he needs. As Dimma has showed previously he isn't afraid to drop a 'favourite' when it's warranted. Ellis last year, Butler earlier this year, Rioli this week. There are players at VFL level who have put in consistent performances for the past month, might be time to reward a couple of them.

I want to watch the VFL before making any definite calls on changes, but there is an opportunity today for Naish RCD Graham Rioli Turner Townsend and even Weller to put their hand up for next Friday night.

Positives- Stack continues to impress.
Houli started poorly, but finished well above any other player in a Tiger jumper. Dusty great as a forward, but midfield work still needs to lift. Cotchin was best player on the ground at HT, but ran out of steam and will get better.
Baker still improving and impressing with games.

Negatives- So many and could be here all night if I went into detail.
Midfield way too small and got bullied in the second half . Consequently the BL was under the pump and it all resembled all of our other losses.
Lynch disappointing yet again and misreading the ball as well as been easily pushed out of the contest.
Soldo in the ruck was a nightmare to watch and his marking efforts or lack of were horrible to watch. No confidence with the ball in the air even though he was taller than most around him.
Ellis was horrid and cost us two early goals with rushed decision making and hospital handballs. Was looking for a cheap kick all night. Butler is a no and not on my Christmas list.

Need Ross ASAP and the time has now come for guys like CCJ Chol Townsend .
Naish and Turner would have to be sweating for a spot.
Please bring in Jack Graham as he at least hurts people.
Very disappointing tonight after last weeks stellar performance.

Last edited:
Disappointing performance tonight, some real passengers. Was melting until about halfway through the 3rd when you knew we were shot and just accepted it.

No excuses, just beaten by a better hungrier side on the night. It was telling that a number of their players played their best game of the season, thought LDU looked pretty damn good, Wood who I used to rate(has been woeful this season) went from looking bereft of all confidence to commanding his space. Anderson looked the best Ive seen from him this season, same with Polec and Atley. They were harder and stronger at the ball and more importantly at the man, their tackles stuck all night, lost count of the amount of times I thought Grimes, Broad or someone was going to shrug a tackle and keep moving, but nope, every ******* tackle stuck and stopped us in our tracks. When they started dobbing them from the boundary line I knew it was game.

Very disappointed we let them bully us - 50 more contested possessions is unacceptable and seems to be the common theme in all our poor performances over the past few years. Thankfully this happened with Soldo winning his fair share of hitouts so we can finally put to bed the blame game on nankervis for getting smashed on the inside.

Positives, glad Cotch got through the game and thats about it tbh. We have a very important 2 weeks coming up - lose both of them and we can kiss top 4 goodbye. Bin it, move on and come out hard next week

Last edited:
Your a bad influence Cotcho LOL
Mate I could tell you some stories of a certain player eyeballing us whilst running off the interchange bench

LoL in!!! Our players don't make the opposition fear for their safety. I guess Sir Rancelot will have to pick up the slack

Positives- Stack continues to impress.
Houli started poorly, but finished well above any other players in a Tiger jumper. Dusty great as a forward, but midfield work still needs to lift. Cotchin was best player on the ground at HT, but ran out of steam and will get better.
Baker still improving and impressing with games.

Negatives- So many and could be here all night if I went into detail.
Midfield way too small and got bullied in the second half . Consequently the BL was under the pump and it all resembled all of our other losses.
Lynch disappointing yet again and misreading the ball as well as been easily pushed out of the contest.
Soldo in the ruck was a nightmare to watch and his marking efforts or lack of were horrible to watch. No confidence with the ball in the air even though he was taller than most around him.
Ellis was horrid and cost us two early goals with rushed decision making and hospital handballs. Was looking for a cheap kick all night. Butler is a no and not on my Christmas list.

Need Ross ASAP and the time has now come for guys like CCJ Chol Townsend .
Naish and Turner would have to be sweating for a spot.
Please bring in Jack Graham as he at least hurts people.
Very disappointing tonight after last weeks stellar performance.
I can't believe how easily Lynch gets out muscled in a contest.
He really isn't strong at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that many senior players missing now in our midfield
Add back lambert and nank and we are pretty much full strength
It’s concerning how our midfield leadership has gone missing in our losses
Nank, Lambert, and Ross/Graham. We can't keep going in 2 mids down. Towner needs to come in too. 1 to help Lynch. 2 to help the kids.

Anyone notice how appalling our running game is at Etihad? There's no room to move. What we need to do is double down on small forwards :drunk:
It's like playing on a postage stamp, it doesn't suit our game style at all.
Hardwick needs to be better prepared and pick a team that would best suit the ground.

Anyway we are the only bunch of tragic's that care.
The AFL are rubbing their hands together with the prospect of the Tigers falling over and Geelong and Collonwood
potentially playing off for the Premiership.
I'm off to Italy for a month and was contemplating getting the Fox footy subscription but maybe I need a break from the game.

We were second to the ball again. Floating kicks that gave north time to smash us. Not hitting targets. We played poorly. The number of spoils and intercepts by norf was ridiculous.

Umps went in dry too. We got done for holding the man all night, norf were far worse and got done once or twice. Bounce of the ball never really favoured us. Norf pulled some b.s out of their arse and played really well.

Back