Analysis Rolling 22 under 22 side

Remove this Banner Ad

I stopped caring about the Under 22 team when Blake Hardwick wasn't selected in either of the 2018 or 2019 seasons. The guy was solid as a rock and played like a 27yo 150 gamer. He finished 2nd behind Mitchell in our club B&F in 2018. (The Hawks won 15 games & made the Top 4 that year.) But people overlooked him in their 22 and chose inconsistent, flashy "excitement machine" types.

The Under 22 team is just another meaningless media hype award.

Ben King is a walk up start ahead of the likes of Allen (who is also very good). He’s so consistent, leads that forward line at 20 and kicks a few a game.

I stopped caring about the Under 22 team when Blake Hardwick wasn't selected in either of the 2018 or 2019 seasons. The guy was solid as a rock and played like a 27yo 150 gamer. He finished 2nd behind Mitchell in our club B&F in 2018. (The Hawks won 15 games & made the Top 4 that year.) But people overlooked him in their 22 and chose inconsistent, flashy "excitement machine" types.

Cool. Other players are good at footy too

B: Isaac Quaynor (COLL), Noah Balta (RICH), Tom McCartin (SYD)
HB: Jack Lukosius (GC), Jordan Ridley (ESS), Lachie Ash (GWS)
C: Bailey Smith (WB), Sam Walsh (CARL), Adam Cerra (FRE)
HF: Zak Butters (PTA), Aaron Naughton (WB), Sam Wicks (SYD)
FF: Errol Gulden (SYD), Logan McDonald (SYD), Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)
R: Luke Jackson (MELB), Noah Anderson (GC), Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)

I: Chad Warner (SYD), Mitch Georgiades (PTA), Caleb Serong (FRE), Lachie Fogarty (CARL)

This is my side for proper balance.

Left out the King twins, Alot of small mid/flankers types, not another option for ruck so Jackson is default. Stacked with Sydney players everywhere

That's a good, well thought out side.

I'm going to be 'that' guy and suggest a player from my team - Changkuoth Jiath.

He polled coaches votes in both round 1 and Round 2 and whilst they are yet to be released, I think it is likely he polled votes in Round 3 as well.

I suppose I should suggest an omission if I am recommending him so I did a comparison to Lachie Ash simply because he is occupying the spot I would have had him.

Lachie's been good but has not polled any coaches votes yet. Jiath has gotten more of the ball, more contested ball, more efficient ball use, more marks, more tackles, more intercepts, more metres gained, more score involvements and a higher SC average. Some of those are small margins and some large.

The 'eye test' also feels like Jiath has had more of an impact but his style does tend to stand out.

You’ve triggered me just thinking back to this. That was so ****ed.

Anyway, Jiath is a lock.

Day would’ve been too, had his not cracked his ankle. Pity Scrimshaw misses the OP’s rules for inclusion by a couple of weeks, he is pure class.

My first crack (stuck Butters in the forward pocket, so I could fit Anderson in the guts)

B: Ridley, T. McCartin, Quaynor
HB: H. Clark, B. Cox, Cerra
C: B. Smith, A. Brayshaw (Freo), Daicos
FO: L. Jackson, Walsh, N. Anderson
HF: Gulden, O. Allen, Wicks
F: K. Pickett, Naughton, Butters
INT: Serong, Warner, Balta, Parfitt

EMG: Z. Bailey, Jordon, Drew B. King

Apologies for any I've forgotten

EDIT: Didn't realize 22 year old's could be included, so included Allen, Ridley, Parfitt, B. Cox, Drew and Daicos, and omitted Sholl, B. King, Ash, Bailey, Jordon and B. Campbell (moved Jordon, B. King and Z. Bailey to emergencies, with Drew being added to emergencies from the 22 yr olds). Perryman, B. Campbell (Syd), Sholl, Ash, L. McDonald (Syd), Jiath, J. Clark and M. King - after a slow start to the year - right on the cusp). Anyone with injuries or who has only played 1 game thus far, not included.

RECENT EDIT: Allen still young enough, didn't realize - is absolutely an automatic inclusion. King to emergencies, Perryman to pushing for selection
Swap Ballard for Cox and that is my team👍

Pity Scrimshaw misses the OP’s rules for inclusion by a couple of weeks, he is pure class.
Handy player, uses it well, but wouldn't be anywhere near the best 22 under 22.

Handy player, uses it well, but wouldn't be anywhere near the best 22 under 22.
Strongly disagree. He’s composed and skilled. Only thing that’s stopped him is his body.

I'm going to be 'that' guy and suggest a player from my team - Changkuoth Jiath.

He polled coaches votes in both round 1 and Round 2 and whilst they are yet to be released, I think it is likely he polled votes in Round 3 as well.

I suppose I should suggest an omission if I am recommending him so I did a comparison to Lachie Ash simply because he is occupying the spot I would have had him.

Lachie's been good but has not polled any coaches votes yet. Jiath has gotten more of the ball, more contested ball, more efficient ball use, more marks, more tackles, more intercepts, more metres gained, more score involvements and a higher SC average. Some of those are small margins and some large.

The 'eye test' also feels like Jiath has had more of an impact but his style does tend to stand out.
I love Jiath mate, the only reason he isn't in. His Birthdate is 13 June 1999 so turns 22 before the season ends

Ah jesus christ i read it the other way around. Sorry , my bad that means Zac Bailey, Charlie Ballard and some others should be in too

B: Isaac Quaynor (COLL), Noah Balta (RICH), Tom McCartin (SYD)
HB: Jack Lukosius (GC), Jordan Ridley (ESS), Lachie Ash (GWS)
C: Bailey Smith (WB), Sam Walsh (CARL), Adam Cerra (FRE)
HF: Zak Butters (PTA), Aaron Naughton (WB), Sam Wicks (SYD)
FF: Errol Gulden (SYD), Logan McDonald (SYD), Kysaiah Pickett (MELB)
R: Luke Jackson (MELB), Noah Anderson (GC), Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)

I: Chad Warner (SYD), Mitch Georgiades (PTA), Caleb Serong (FRE), Lachie Fogarty (CARL)

This is my side for proper balance.

Left out the King twins, Alot of small mid/flankers types, not another option for ruck so Jackson is default. Stacked with Sydney players everywhere

Quite a good team, but from the OP this isn't directed as this season, but under 22, therefore some of the Sydney kids may be in there purely for a 3 game stretch. I'd probably have players with a longer body of work than that, which is why I'd have Shai Bolton in there for sure, probably in place of Wicks.

Jiath maybe for McCartin but thats probably splitting hairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fogarty has now. 2 votes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back