Rolling All Australian Team 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, fair call.

Maybe I just personally rate Haynes extremely highly, and think Sicily can be somewhat inconsistent (and too easily shut down if the opposition choose to).

You're right about cumulative form over multiple years. Sicily continues his form of recent weeks and he's a lock.

I also rate Haynes very highly - absolute gun.

Sicily can have the occasional quiet game (or at least a brain fart or two that cost the team). Nothing undisciplened so far this year though. GWS probably his only quiet game for the year. I'd say Haynes has a higher floor but a lower ceiling. Stats seem to back that up - Sicily had 10 touches against GWS (Haynes low of 12). However, Haynes most prolific game this year was 23 touches. Sicily has equalled or bettered that at least 4 times this year (with Sicily getting more contested possessions- he is not a backline 'sharer').

Obviously possession numbers don't mean a lot but backs up the perception.

Last edited:
Comparing Saad, Daniel and DBJ and the stats are awfully close. Having a very underrated year. His disposal efficiency the only thing that doesn’t stack up to the other two
Daniel also takes a lot of the Kick Ins which count as a stat if they kick from outside of the square.
They actually all play the small defender role quite differently.
DBJ has a significant amount of more clearances.
Saad is your definition of a running half back and Daniel is more of a distributor.
Really hard choice

Daniel also takes a lot of the Kick Ins which count as a stat if they kick from outside of the square.
They actually all play the small defender role quite differently.
DBJ has a significant amount of more clearances.
Saad is your definition of a running half back and Daniel is more of a distributor.
Really hard choice
Before last night Saad has been playing on the #1 small every week too. Bizarre that he wasn't on Cameron

It just seems like Jones has taken some of the best forwards to free Weiters hasn’t taken advantage of that.
Would tend to agree, that’s the next stage of progression for him. To limit his direct opponent, which he is doing, but also work across to help his other defenders. As an example, Jones was exposed against Dixon and received little assistance in the one on ones from the other defenders.
He is tracking to be an elite KP defender in my opinion, he’s not the full package at this point however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Midway through the last quarter...

Nick Naitanui, just 7 disposals and one of the best rucking displays I've ever seen. Unbelievable...

BOG

I'm glad people are starting to actually see his impact isnt stat related. It's hard to debate with the masses on here without those stats.

Okay, now here's a debate that isn't the ruckmen. Key forwards. Three candidates, two spots. Using goals and goal assists totals as well as marks, inside 50's, score involvements, marks inside 50 and contested marks by averages as the guide.

Hawkins: 16 goals, 13 goal assists, 4.8 marks, 1.7 inside 50's, 6.3 score involvements, 2.3 marks inside 50, 1.3 contested marks
Kennedy: 22 goals, 1 GA, 4.1 marks, 0.7 I50's, 4.9 SI, 2.9 MI50, 1.4 CM
Dixon: 17 goals, 4 GA, 4.5 marks, 1.5 I50's, 5.6 SI, 2.6 MI50, 3.4 CM

I'm leaning Hawkins/Kennedy but Dixon is very close

Okay, now here's a debate that isn't the ruckmen. Key forwards. Three candidates, two spots. Using goals and goal assists totals as well as marks, inside 50's, score involvements, marks inside 50 and contested marks by averages as the guide.

Hawkins: 16 goals, 13 goal assists, 4.8 marks, 1.7 inside 50's, 6.3 score involvements, 2.3 marks inside 50, 1.3 contested marks
Kennedy: 22 goals, 1 GA, 4.1 marks, 0.7 I50's, 4.9 SI, 2.9 MI50, 1.4 CM
Dixon: 17 goals, 4 GA, 4.5 marks, 1.5 I50's, 5.6 SI, 2.6 MI50, 3.4 CM

I'm leaning Hawkins/Kennedy but Dixon is very close
Who's leading the Coleman?

I'm glad people are starting to actually see his impact isnt stat related. It's hard to debate with the masses on here without those stats.
I don't think I've ever seen another genuine tall ruckman who was so explosive & quick to follow up his own ruckwork at ground level.

Naitanui is like Cyril Rioli in the way he runs hard & low at opposition players as they're about to take possession - he worries them out of it, gets a hand in on the ball, strips it away and taps it into the path of his teammates. He does it repeatedly throughout the game. And it's not captured on the stats sheet. But it's crucial stuff which leads to victory. It's sort of a forced turnover... Instead of Geelong getting the clearance and heading inside fifty - enter the Nicnat... and the ball goes into West Coast's forward fifty for a scoring opportunity.

I used to marvel at some of Rioli's game-changing stuff like that... 2 or 3 in-close defensive efforts in the space of a few seconds... a strip-the-ball tackle, followed by a handball smother, and then forcing the ball forward thru the congestion and then a subtle tap to a teammate who kicks the goal.. and not one disposal was registered!! I'd try telling people about it on here and they'd laugh at me... [shrugs] :D

Last edited:
HF: Greene Dixon Wingard
F: Butler Kennedy Papley

Maybe?
I have:

Greene - Hawkins - Butler
Cameron - Kennedy - Papley

Wingard, Dixon and Gunston next in line

Naitanui set up a goal to Kennedy and a set shot (behind) to Ryan in the last quarter with one hit out and one kick. So in fantasy footy land he got 4 points and WC got 16 (one mark, two kicks, one goal, one behind). In reality the goal put us ahead and the behind if converted would've put us 9 up.

But he took 0 marks so obviously should pick Gawn who took 5 of them.

I haven't seen many Port games, has he been taking the #1 small forward too? Just because Saad has and usually done a good job. Plus there's the "reputation" thing, DBJ probably didn't have a good enough year in 2019 for this year which is kinda stupid but it happens.
Darcy Byrne-Jones was in the AA squad last year too.

I wonder how many people had JK, Dixon, Wingard and Butler in their pre season AA teams.
Kennedy and Wingard have previously been AA so they should never be ruled out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back