Autopsy Round 1, 2019: St.Kilda v Gold Coast *Parker, Wilkie & Kent Debut*

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the game on my iPad in my hospital room
At one point a nurse came in and took my blood pressure that topped out at 200
When asked why it was so high I pointed at the umpires on the ground and said, it’s their fault
Then I thought I could take a hammer to them and walk away scot free
Until I realised it would be known as a St Kilda supporter and next time we play in a grand final, we are a few points up, ball in our forward pocket, seconds on the clock and the opposition forward bends over in the goal square to tie his shoe lace and the umpire pays a free kick for a push
Pessimist? Probably, but like to think more of a realist
I’d like someone from the club to sit down with the umpires and explain some of their decisions
Roll on round 2

Just in idea... Any chance you set up a selection melt thread as well as selection / match up thread?

Let these who want to melt do so to their hearts content and these that enjoy other people's insight contribute as well.

There used to be decent analysis and discussion, but it appears to have been hijacked.

Also I get the impression you've just about had enough. Hang in there please. You're a valued contributor.
Set up a Sack Richo thread, didn't stop the usual suspects from stinking up every other thread.
Everyone has the right to have their negative opinions, I am more negative than I have been for seasons, wasn't impressed yesterday, haven't bothered with the replay yet.
But supporters happy with a rare win also have the right to enjoy it. Shouldn't be ridiculed for enjoying the win, reckon we will have plenty of times this season where we will be losers.

I watched the game on my iPad in my hospital room
At one point a nurse came in and took my blood pressure that topped out at 200
When asked why it was so high I pointed at the umpires on the ground and said, it’s their fault
Then I thought I could take a hammer to them and walk away scot free
Until I realised it would be known as a St Kilda supporter and next time we play in a grand final, we are a few points up, ball in our forward pocket, seconds on the clock and the opposition forward bends over in the goal square to tie his shoe lace and the umpire pays a free kick for a push
Pessimist? Probably, but like to think more of a realist
I’d like someone from the club to sit down with the umpires and explain some of their decisions
Roll on round 2
Good on ya mate.

Hope you're doing well.

Yep.
Big call, but I can see a bit of Rance about him.
DID NOT THINK THAT last year.
I thought he was pretty much a waste of space.
But his improvement can only be described as remarkable, and I can now understand why he got the nod ahead of Goddard.
Thought his ability to win some clutch moments on the ground was really good. Found myself saying “good boy”, etc to him, Wilkie, Battle and DMac a heap.

First game for the year, so take everything with grain of salt..

Positives:
- Bruce, 3 goals and game saving mark
- Parker, 2 goals and link up play
- Steven, has big impact playing half forward/mid
- Wilkie, intercept marking very good, we found robbo’s replacenent.
- We don’t blindly play on at all cost anymore, if we can control possession, and have more lead/mark transitions from back to front, even better.

Negatives:
- Ruck, Pearce is not competitive enough
- Clangers/skills, we made 77 errors compare to sun’s 59.
- Mckenzie, not a defender.. panics every time defending 1 on 1, were at fault for 3-4 goals today
- Long, lots of misdirected aggression, gave away 2 stupid free kicks..
- Midfield, we need more mids to link up play and contest ball winning mids..
- transition from back to front, still kicking long down the line lost of the time.

I think what has been missed so far is how much the Suns were flooding in the second half to make it harder to pick off targets like we did in the first half.

Yep.
Big call, but I can see a bit of Rance about him.
DID NOT THINK THAT last year.
I thought he was pretty much a waste of space.
But his improvement can only be described as remarkable, and I can now understand why he got the nod ahead of Goddard.
The guy could easily be a good CHB , just needs the games put into him - if he keeps improving he will be a hell of a player , played o'k of Sunday.

We have no control, we can't change anything, and petty trantrums pretending a supporter is on a higher moral plane than the rest of us is really pathetic and delusional.
Exhibit A: Your honour.

I therefore contend it is very difficult to give an opinion without inadvertently shooting oneself in the foot.

IMG_9576.GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just in idea... Any chance you set up a selection melt thread as well as selection / match up thread?

Let these who want to melt do so to their hearts content and these that enjoy other people's insight contribute as well.

There used to be decent analysis and discussion, but it appears to have been hijacked.

Also I get the impression you've just about had enough. Hang in there please. You're a valued contributor.
First thought is that it seems like the best way to channel the discussion.

However it would be a monumental task to moderate. All it takes is one poster trailing off topic and an entire thread can be derailed within an hour. I have been guilty of derailing threads in the past as it is quite difficult to end a discussion mid way, and I'm in a position of "authority" on here (Part of what I am meant to do is create better discussion/improving overall quality of posts) so I can only imagine how it'd be for any regular poster. So I'm not sure how it would work or how willing people would be to abide by those kinds of posting rules.

Secondly I never have been the dictator type. I want people to post about who and what they want, whenever they like. I think however that I am entitled to have my own opinion, and if I notice a trend of negativity I sure as hell can try and lead the discussion back into a positive space.

But you are on the money - I am incredibly tired of it. I mean it's not like we are a premiership contender that is out of form. We won four games last year. We are one of the most inexperienced sides in the competition. I mean, really, what do people expect from a club in our position? I've felt sick of it for a while, and honestly I am generally a pessimistic person outside of this forum but when I log in here and read about the club we all love, I don't expect to have to trawl through pages & pages of negativity, bickering, and general shitposting....after A WIN! It's just tiresome. And what makes it even worse is people feeling the need to reply to it. I've said it before, report the posts. If we don't reply back to you saying a post has been dealt with after you reported it, it doesn't mean we didn't take action. Everyone here generally has a pretty good idea of what is acceptable and what isn't, so I'd say 95% of posts that are reported get deleted and if it's serious enough warnings are given. There is literally no point replying to a post you find inappropriate because it's highly likely that if you don't report it someone else will and the entire conversation of back and forth will be deleted. So you are wasting your time. Ignore the nonsense, report it and move on.

Believe me when I say we are trying our best here. I am always looking to improve people's experience when they come to our board, opposition or not. I want to make coming here enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes I * up, sure, but it's always with good intentions. Then the blame reverts back to the mods. That we aren't doing a good enough job. I get reported posts all the time from people with messages like "Do your jobs I am sick of this s**t", "How long are you going to let this continue", etc etc. We aren't robots and we don't see everything! I think we try our best but how long can you keep on doing it for before it becomes tiring?

It's difficult trying to be positive in the face of overwhelming negativity. And it's easier to lay s**t on the club than praise it. We all know that. And gee I reckon I am as frustrated with our football club lately just as much as anyone. I just choose not to post about it. Why bother? To add to the already massive dark cloud hanging over this place? Then I get called a mouthpiece for Finnis & the club - all I can do is laugh!

Again - I am not forcing people to do anything here - do whatever you like. I just wish people would think about how others feel logging in and posting on our board. Why do they have to put up with it?

Anyway, continue on...

When will supporters of this club demand higher expectations instead of looking for positives in a 1 point win against the bottom side. WHEN SOMEONE FROM THE CLUB COMES AND SAYS TO THEM WE THINK YOU CAN HELP US WITH OUR COACHING
I expect to be competitive and win YOUR NOT PLAYING. That should be the minimum requirement as supporters not defending mediocrity and saying good try NO ONE AT THE CLUB CARES WHAT WE THINK.
I can just see Rats now "Ok you lot gather round we've got the weekly review from BF here so you'd better pay attention"

However it would be a monumental task to moderate. All it takes is one poster trailing off topic and an entire thread can be derailed within an hour. I have been guilty of derailing threads in the past as it is quite difficult to end a discussion mid way, and I'm in a position of "authority" on here (Part of what I am meant to do is create better discussion/improving overall quality of posts) so I can only imagine how it'd be for any regular poster. So I'm not sure how it would work or how willing people would be to abide by those kinds of posting rules.

Secondly I never have been the dictator type. I want people to post about who and what they want, whenever they like. I think however that I am entitled to have my own opinion, and if I notice a trend of negativity I sure as hell can try and lead the discussion back into a positive space.

But you are on the money - I am incredibly tired of it. I mean it's not like we are a premiership contender that is out of form. We won four games last year. We are one of the most inexperienced sides in the competition. I mean, really, what do people expect from a club in our position? I've felt sick of it for a while, and honestly I am generally a pessimistic person outside of this forum but when I log in here and read about the club we all love, I don't expect to have to trawl through pages & pages of negativity, bickering, and general shitposting....after A WIN! It's just tiresome. And what makes it even worse is people feeling the need to reply to it. I've said it before, report the posts. If we don't reply back to you saying a post has been dealt with after you reported it, it doesn't mean we didn't take action. Everyone here generally has a pretty good idea of what is acceptable and what isn't, so I'd say 95% of posts that are reported get deleted and if it's serious enough warnings are given. There is literally no point replying to a post you find inappropriate because it's highly likely that if you don't report it someone else will and the entire conversation of back and forth will be deleted. So you are wasting your time. Ignore the nonsense, report it and move on.

Believe me when I say we are trying our best here. I am always looking to improve people's experience when they come to our board, opposition or not. I want to make coming here enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes I **** up, sure, but it's always with good intentions. Then the blame reverts back to the mods. That we aren't doing a good enough job. I get reported posts all the time from people with messages like "Do your jobs I am sick of this s**t", "How long are you going to let this continue", etc etc. We aren't robots and we don't see everything! I think we try our best but how long can you keep on doing it for before it becomes tiring?

It's difficult trying to be positive in the face of overwhelming negativity. And it's easier to lay s**t on the club than praise it. We all know that. And gee I reckon I am as frustrated with our football club lately just as much as anyone. I just choose not to post about it. Why bother? To add to the already massive dark cloud hanging over this place? Then I get called a mouthpiece for Finnis & the club - all I can do is laugh!

Again - I am not forcing people to do anything here - do whatever you like. I just wish people would think about how others feel logging in and posting on our board. Why do they have to put up with it?

Anyway, continue on...
Just make me a mod.

We will only have 17 members but we will all get along.

And here's some positivity (very rare these days)...

Guys like lewdogs stavro#4 Moorabbin Ghost waldy CursingFijian aussierulesrules are a few that make coming to this board enjoyable. Always insightful, and absolute quality posters. Always bring something to a discussion.

Brains Trust66 helping with player advocate news and doing the grunt work of the new podcast we set up - wants to make this place better for us all.

StCicatriz whilst critical of the club - at least doesn't shitcan it with unsubstantiated rubbish. Does his homework, comes at it with a different perspective many disagree with but that's fine! Most of the time it's an analysis and reasons why. Not just "we're s**t" 100 times a week.

There's plenty of others... Kilroy triggering bro Keg on legs CALL ME SNAKE Persevering Saint Diehard Saint Mikka84 all valued contributors here.

And you only need to look at Rabbit58 story to get some perspective...

We need more of these kinds of people IMO.

And here's some positivity (very rare these days)...

Guys like lewdogs stavro#4 Moorabbin Ghost waldy CursingFijian aussierulesrules are a few that make coming to this board enjoyable. Always insightful, and absolute quality posters. Always bring something to a discussion.

Brains Trust66 helping with player advocate news and doing the grunt work of the new podcast we set up - wants to make this place better for us all.

StCicatriz whilst critical of the club - at least doesn't shitcan it with unsubstantiated rubbish. Does his homework, comes at it with a different perspective many disagree with but that's fine! Most of the time it's an analysis and reasons why. Not just "we're s**t" 100 times a week.

There's plenty of others... Kilroy triggering bro Keg on legs CALL ME SNAKE Persevering Saint Diehard Saint Mikka84 all valued contributors here.

And you only need to look at Rabbit58 story to get some perspective...

We need more of these kinds of people IMO.
Speaking of which, any e heard from StTrav lately?

Believe me when I say we are trying our best here. I am always looking to improve people's experience when they come to our board, opposition or not. I want to make coming here enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes I **** up, sure, but it's always with good intentions. Then the blame reverts back to the mods. That we aren't doing a good enough job. I get reported posts all the time from people with messages like "Do your jobs I am sick of this s**t", "How long are you going to let this continue", etc etc. We aren't robots and we don't see everything! I think we try our best but how long can you keep on doing it for before it becomes tiring?

Anyway, continue on...

I can't imagine being a mod mate. It would do my head in. You and the other mods are doing an amazing job. Please don't lose faith in how your efforts are viewed and appreciated.

You guys have just as much right to enjoy being in here as anyone else.

On behalf of us plebs, thanks to all the mods.

Resilience
That's been the biggest thing for me over the JLT and Rd1. We've found a way during each game to find a win. That is a step forward for mine, keeping a positive mindset when the game is moving away.

I'll give credit to the coach for that as I think it's been a bit missed that the boys are playing for him. Credit where it is due....

Finally I'm getting towards my fifties and seen all the ups and downs since the 80's and those that were kids in the 80's it was bloody hard. To hear a St Kilda supporter ring SEN today and say "dribble Richo" about the coach of our club sickens me to my stomach.
We laud our greats such as Barks, Harves, Burkey, Liews, Lenny and Roo for FQF but we can't do the same in return. The end of this year will come soon enough and if he goes then he will be another part of our fabric
I want success as much as anyone but can we leave our manners in?

The Point Of It All isn't a bad read...

The numbers certainly reflect this.

Our pressure index by the quarter (with the AFL average being about 180-185, 200 being elite and us having gone at 230 for the last quarter v WB) was:

1: 193
2: 189
3: 174
4: 153

Gold Coast in the last quarter went at 182.

If we're the fittest team in the competition it certainly wasn't reflected in our pressure numbers.

I’d wager that a fair element of the pressure game is mental as opposed to entirely fitness based. The boys probably thought going into the last quarter that either GC would run out of steam or our ability would come out on top, and so went in mentally unprepared and unfocused. GC came out with that mental focus and objectively worked harder and organised structures better in that last quarter.

The advantage for us is that we won’t subconsciously underrate Essendon going in, and even if they come out firing (which they should considering that for their whole game they worked half as hard as our last quarter) I reckon we’ll see our fitness come to the fore and be up for the fight.

Set up a Sack Richo thread, didn't stop the usual suspects from stinking up every other thread.
Everyone has the right to have their negative opinions, I am more negative than I have been for seasons, wasn't impressed yesterday, haven't bothered with the replay yet.
But supporters happy with a rare win also have the right to enjoy it. Shouldn't be ridiculed for enjoying the win, reckon we will have plenty of times this season where we will be losers.
I just looked at the next 8 weeks and nervous until we play Carlton. Fremantle at home not looking as good as I had Originally thought. Totally understand the apprehension from a lacklustre win but it WAS a win and GC played well.

When your a bottom 8 team if you can’t celebrate the wins your in for a long season. Well done saints. Cracking win and thoroughly enjoyed watching a victory.

Don't know how one actually quantify fittest in the league so I find that statement a bit moot.
One thing I can say is that the teams intensity has not disappointed me at training, the JLT games or Round 1.

The conditions were more Queensland than Melbourne. I was in shorts and T Shirt and was still hot, The sun was on the three quarters of the oval that wasn't shaded and humid. It would have been conditions much more suited to the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back