Autopsy Round 1, 2022: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all Hawkers. Can we give this a rest. I read factNotBS original post and thought it was quite cringeworthy. Poorly worded certainly, but I am not sure it was deliberatively racist.

Facts has tried to apologise for the misunderstanding, so can we all move on now and celebrate a good win and an outstanding effort from CJ, particularly after a limited preparation.

Let's focus on Port now and enjoy the ride.
Whether deliberate or not, thought and speech like that needs to be stamped out of society quickly. It should not be tolerated anywhere, even an online football forum.

Can we get some kind of community guidelines on getting someone suspended for posts like he did? I don't want kids reading it, thinking that kind of subtle racism is okay.

Oh come on, put the pearls down.

Cant lets kids see anything these days can we... If my kids see someone being racist, I use it to educate them, not stamp and scream and abuse said racist.
That said, I dont think old mate deserves this sort of pile on.

CJ IS from another country, a war torn country. Seeing him succeed does warm the heart a bit more considering his story. Asking this is not racist.

Post a comment about how his life has been tough and its wonderful to see him succeed, all round agreement. Post a question asking if these same thoughts are why people love him a bit more, racist a-hole.

Everyone is in a race to be the most virtuous.

Everyone has a different line and getting all abusive because someone's line is in a different place to yours is the way the world works I guess.
Not about being virtuous

Its about calling out lines of thinking that dont have a place in forums like this

I personally am absolutely STOKED that CJ (or any African player, and indeed indigenous player, for that matter. Hell, ANY player) has managed to pull himself out of harsh poverty and a literally life-threatening situation to find happiness and fulfillment playing footy here. The upwards trend of Africans doing this fills my heart with joy.
The bonus is that they are tremendous athletes....

Really nice, wholesome post, but this line of thinking is what old mate brought up and has been attacked for. It means more to the average supporter seeing CJ come good than it does Frost/Hardwick (per OP). And thats ok, not racist.

Cant lets kids see anything these days can we... If my kids see someone being racist, I use it to educate them, not stamp and scream and abuse said racist.

CJ IS from another country, a war torn country. Seeing him succeed does warm the heart a bit more considering his story. Asking this is not racist.

Post a comment about how his life has been tough and its wonderful to see him succeed, all round agreement. Post a question asking if these same thoughts are why people love him a bit more, racist a-hole.

Firstly - I love that someone posting patronisingly racist comments should just be left to their free speech apprently but the moment people have an issue with it it’s ‘ViRtUe SiGnAlLiNg’. Free speech cuts both ways - so I’ll call out what I like. Arguing with someone about Nash’s qualities as a footballer isn’t virtue signalling - so neither is arguing with someone about absolutely offsenive crap they’ve posted about someone.

Also - the entire argument raised by the utterly ironically named FactsnotBS was that the only conceivable reason CJ was more of a fan favourite than Frost and Hardwick was because of his racial background, that being an African refugee. That is patronisingly racist - it’s implying that CJ can’t possibly be as dynamic and entertaining a player as the vast majority of Hawks supporters think - it has to be because of the feel good story of CJ being an African refugee.

And it’s not remotely the same as someone who says they hope to see him do well because of his backstory and hope for the same for other African refugee/migrant families in Australia. Wanting to see a maligned community do well isn’t comparable to outwardly stating the only reason a player is such a fan favourite is because of their family background - the sentiments come from completely different places.

Great you use it to educate your kids, what about kids who don't have anyone to educate them. The post was absolute vile and has been treated accordingly by most people on here. Have a bit of a read on casual racism possibly...

Alright, everyone has had their say...

It wasn't a high point of Bigfooty commentary, but I think others have made their point fairly strongly and clearly, and there's not much to be gained by keeping it going, as far as I can see...

Great you use it to educate your kids, what about kids who don't have anyone to educate them. The post was absolute vile and has been treated accordingly by most people on here. Have a bit of a read on casual racism possibly...
I'm in the middle with this, the comment wasn't great but the pile-on isn't the appropriate response. It might make you feel better but in a lot of cases if someone actually does have dangerous or malicious beliefs about race or whatever else, this sort of reaction just serves to engrain them.

As others have said, let's move on to Port!

I'm in the middle with this, the comment wasn't great but the pile-on isn't the appropriate response. It might make you feel better but in a lot of cases if someone actually does have dangerous or malicious beliefs about race or whatever else, this sort of reaction just serves to engrain them.

As others have said, let's move on to Port!

I am happy to have this as my last comment on the matter - I think what frustrates me is people don't take these things for the learning opportunities they are and just continue to double down. I say stupid s**t constantly, I get it wrong constantly - but I would like to think I am adult enough to go 'yeah, got that one wrong'. I like that about this board - people constantly make me look at players differently because of the discussions had. It's just frustrating that posters in scenarios like this aren't big enough to think about their statements more broadly. Nobody likes to be wrong - but it's healthy to be able to admit it.

Onto Port indeed - let's go argue about which kids we should be playing!

It's going to be interesting to see how teams like Port - who have enjoyed steadily getting the better of us as we've descended down the ladder, will come up against Sam's new tactics and a renewed youthful spirit.

Not saying it will happen this week - but we are going to steal a few games from top sides that aren't switched on. It'll be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy to have this as my last comment on the matter - I think what frustrates me is people don't take these things for the learning opportunities they are and just continue to double down. I say stupid s**t constantly, I get it wrong constantly - but I would like to think I am adult enough to go 'yeah, got that one wrong'. I like that about this board - people constantly make me look at players differently because of the discussions had. It's just frustrating that posters in scenarios like this aren't big enough to think about their statements more broadly. Nobody likes to be wrong - but it's healthy to be able to admit it.

Just acknowledge the mistake a move on. I hate it when people then go on the "sorry you're offended" takes.

I think i've lost brain cells reading the racist crap from BSnotFacts. Glad posters called it out.

Yep, most people are pretty forgiving if you own your mistake. Doubling down though just further frustrates people.

What the hell is wrong with positive racism (if that’s how it’s defined) anyway

Really guys, we aren’t doing it to annoy you back ther in row AA if that’s where you are

What the hell is wrong with positive racism (if that’s how it’s defined) anyway

Really guys, we aren’t doing it to annoy you back ther in row AA if that’s where you are

Listening to the mods is probably best now.

And I am under the dripline - so not in row AA. Please don't seat-shame me.

Hey all Hawkers. Can we give this a rest. I read factNotBS original post and thought it was quite cringeworthy. Poorly worded certainly, but I am not sure it was deliberatively racist.

Facts has tried to apologise for the misunderstanding, so can we all move on now and celebrate a good win and an outstanding effort from CJ, particularly after a limited preparation.

Let's focus on Port now and enjoy the ride.

Thank you for your accurate summary.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Isn't it funny how the game ends a week ago and the commentary on the game ends after 3-4 days. BUT... supporters have to have a couple of extra days for their marvelously entertaining... back and forth. Thrilling stuff.

Bloody thread cloggers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back