Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have been something he was asked to work on perhaps.
Without knowing, but knowing the way we're trying to move the ball quicker, I'd assume it was something he was asked to work on.

Massive, massive gain for us of he brought run/carry into his game.

Bit over the top there Kermit.

I do think Scrimmers is a lock in our 22 and his performance in the weekend only solidified my thoughts on that matter . I think you will find he will be in the Yabby votes which means he was a top 5 player coming back from injury, all the traits of a "lock".

Also what really got me with all this talk about Scrimshaw not making our 22 was that the footballing Goliath keeping this gun kid out of the starting 22 was none other than Lachlan Bramble!

Not Peter Dean, not Chris Langford, not Josh Gibson, not Andrew McLeod but Lachlan Bramble. Lachlan Bramble. I'll say that once again because it beats repeating, Lachlan Bramble.

Let's all ponder the wisdom of that decision shall we?
He's not a lock. If he plays all year like he did on Saturday, he will be. If he plays like he did in the Geelong praccy he will play VFL.

You are getting to nashy cryptic levels here

He's not a lock. If he plays all year like he did on Saturday, he will be. If he plays like he did in the Geelong praccy he will play VFL.

You are getting to nashy cryptic levels here
Nash had a good game on the weekend but his portfolio of games to date has been patchy to say the least.

Scrimmers on the other hand had a good game on the weekend, to go along with all the other good games he has played for us.

That’s what makes a lock, when game day comes around he delivers. He just doesn’t play a bad game.

And all this talk of a bad practice match? Hodgey, Cyril, etc used to put in quite a few stinkers in pre season. Those matches mean bugger all.

Those “cheapies” as you call them, are what set us up.
If he doesn’t get them, we don’t shift the North defence and we don’t win.
That’s fair and probably true I just had others in front of him maybe I set the bar a bit higher for Sic. Anyway nice to be able to debate a raft of players getting coaches votes for a change…

Agreed. North fans convinced themselves that he was trying to pick up the ball. 🤣
The funny thing is it looks like he initially is going to do that but then stands taller to give the bump. If he had stayed low he probably could have escaped punishment but he decided not to pick up the ball and make contact.

I still can't believe it wasn't a freekick either, wtf was the ump watching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The replies are great.

If you like reading melts. 😂

‪I just rewatched it it is a text book suspension in todays game. He had no intention to get the ball he went past it and then collected day. You can dislike it, you can hate the inconsistency but this is the correct decision.‬

Luke Breust zero tackles on the weekend. That doesn't happen often. Normally a tackling beast.

Nash had a good game on the weekend but his portfolio of games to date has been patchy to say the least.

Scrimmers on the other hand had a good game on the weekend, to go along with all the other good games he has played for us.

That’s what makes a lock, when game day comes around he delivers. He just doesn’t play a bad game.

And all this talk of a bad practice match? Hodgey, Cyril, etc used to put in quite a few stinkers in pre season. Those matches mean bugger all.
He played VFL. Locks don't play VFL.

Also he wasn't talking about Nash he was calling you a fanboy like another poster about Nash. How you carry on through life misinterpreting 9/10 things you read is a mystery to me.

Scrim was given a kick up the ass in the pre season. He responded magnificently. Why does it have to go any further than that
My reply to that would be why are we giving a kick up the ass to one of our most talented and consistent players who by all accounts is also a great clubman?

The way Scrimmers played on the weekend was excellent but that’s basically how he always plays (more or less). We got smashed the first two games and we didn’t have one of our most talented and consistent players in the team and I still can’t work out what the hell that was all about.

And before anyone says he was injured he still played VFL and was never reported as injured by the club so by my viewpoint he was available for senior selection.

My reply to that would be why are we giving a kick up the ass to one of our most talented and consistent players who by all accounts is also a great clubman?

The way Scrimmers played on the weekend was excellent but that’s basically how he always plays (more or less). We got smashed the first two games and we didn’t have one of our most talented and consistent players in the team and I still can’t work out what the hell that was all about.

And before anyone says he was injured he still played VFL and was never reported as injured by the club so by my viewpoint he was available for senior selection.
Everyone has certain markers / KPIs to meet. Certain things they are working on. This is true even when they are in the side. There is also the possibility, that the coaches wanted to play a certain way and there were players that play Scrims role already in the side that could play that way better than Scrim at least that is what the coaches thought. However, after the first two games some of the players that were in the side hadn't met their KPIs or roles and thus Scrim is back. Played a great game. The way we played though suited his game. We kicked the ball around found targets

Personally I think Scrimshaw has a higher potential to reach. With all his talent and footy IQ, at age 24 and approaching 70 games he should really be pushing to be our best player in the backline and being talked about as one of the top few in the comp for his position.

I'd back the coaches to challenge him and hold him to a higher standard. We should be starting to talk about him and Sicily in the same breath. Not debating whether he's best 22.

Look at it this way: the way he played on the weekend was excellent and that’s because he responded well to the message Sam gave him.

Excellent coaching!

(And for what it’s worth, I was in favour of Scrimshaw playing every game he’s fit for.)

Personally I think Scrimshaw has a higher potential to reach. With all his talent and footy IQ, at age 24 and approaching 70 games he should really be pushing to be our best player in the backline and being talked about as one of the top few in the comp for his position.

I'd back the coaches to challenge him and hold him to a higher standard. We should be starting to talk about him and Sicily in the same breath. Not debating whether he's best 22.
I agree with this. Scrimshaw is clearly, and easily best 22. But has he improved much in the last couple years? He was a good player then and is still a good player. But he has potential to be better than that and if he needs a kick from the coach every now and then, give him one. He might be the type who is a bit too comfortable being just a good player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back