Game Day Round 1, 2023: West Coast Eagles vs North Melbourne - “A Walk in the Park”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Well, after many many torturous months, the 2023 AFL season is finally upon us.

2022 was a disaster, no question. The team was hit with injuries to key players, Covid took a huge whack to the squad, and any chance Simpson had of implementing a new game plan was thrown in the crapper.

Two wins.

Two lousy wins is all the team had to show for itself at the end of the season...

Let's look at some silver linings though....

Silver Linings

1. Da Yoof!

One positive of having half your team injured or in Covid iso is being able to pump games into the youth of the squad. Players like Hough, Bazzo, O'Neill, H. Edwards and Jamieson played a fair chunk of games that they otherwise might not have. This will undoubtedly help in the years to come.

The following chart demonstrates the games played by every player, categorised by age:

1678675274427.png

2. Culley

The dreadlocked dynamo has arrived at our club with a reputation for inside grunt, hard work, and smokey poultry. He has not put a foot wrong since coming here, aside from shoving Kelly in the intraclub.

According to insiders he has had a breakout pre-season. Hopefully he can direct his passion, rage and power to opposition players and not to Kelly.

3. Lots of Practise for Defence

Our backline saw a lot of the ball last season so they should be the most hardened warriors in the league.

4. Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Baker and Dewar

Sure, this is way, wwaaaaaayyy too early, but I think this may be one of our best drafts yet. All of these players have tremendous talent and potential. The future looks bright in their hands.

Predicted WCE Line up

Well, that brings us to round 1 baby!

Here is my predicted rd 1 line up.

1678675917145.png

I'm tipping Darling and B. Williams to recover in time. This pushes Waterman to be the sub.

Also, I have heard a rumour that Ginbey is out with a sore toe and that Longy will get some minutes, but I am yet to have that confirmed.

Game Plan

This will be ugly early days Eagles fans, make no mistake. After many seasons of kick-mark, of over-possessing, of switch to switch to switch, the team will be trying to move the ball with speed at every opportunity. This will result in mistakes. Someone, probably Witherden (even though I love him) will kick the ball straight to a Roos player on his own in the d50. This will happen in the first ten minutes. Players will kick the ball to where team-mates are not running. But, as the game progresses, this will get better and lead to more scoring opportunities. When it works it will look beautiful, when it doesn't, it will look ugly.

Predicted Result

WCE by 20 Ginbeys

It has been an off-season of introspection for West Coast players, staff, and supporters. Many an evening was spent gazing into a mirror asking:

who am i personality GIF

Well, it's time to find out.

Bring it on!!!!

Announced team

1678952300315.png

Last edited:

So what do we make of Simpson's curious comment about NicNat the other day? "If it was Round 15 he'd play". WTF does that mean? Is he fit or isn't he?

I'm probably leaning towards playing it safe and have him missing in Round 1 but if BWilliams can't get up I think he has to play. We cannot go into a game with just Jamieson in the ruck and no viable back up.

After all the preseason hype that we're harder, better, faster, stronger and then the reality check against the crows, we finally get to see where we are at in a real game.
Can't wait for footy to be back! Carn the Eagles

I'd give a predication but I have no F clue how this one is going to turn out

I along with plenty of others I'm sure am looking to the coming season with some trepidation.
I know there likely will be more losses than wins and I know we have to go through some things for a couple of years before we get better.
I know I just have to accept it but I DON'T WANNA DAMMIT.

WC by 5 jubilant Masto's (points)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do we make of Simpson's curious comment about NicNat the other day? "If it was Round 15 he'd play". WTF does that mean? Is he fit or isn't he?

I assume he means that he is fit but not match fit. At round 15 you risk 7 games, at round 1 there a lot more games at risk if he breaks down from bringing him in before he is ready.

I could be wrong though.

I assume he means that he is fit but not match fit. At round 15 you risk 7 games, at round 1 there a lot more games at risk if he breaks down from bringing him in before he is ready.

I could be wrong though.
Might just be a North Melbourne thing where you can understand Simmo, but no one at WC has any idea what he’s trying to do.

I'm probably leaning towards playing it safe and have him missing in Round 1 but if BWilliams can't get up I think he has to play. We cannot go into a game with just Jamieson in the ruck and no viable back up.
It means he's not fit. I don't see him playing rnd 1 and it might be a few weeks until he's back.

I think what he means by "rnd 15" is by that time of year most players have niggles but you just have to push through. If you start a guy off with a problem in rnd 1, it's very likely he'll breakdown before the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back