Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

You can not with a straight face have Stephenson in our team?, please explain…?
based on pre season and what I saw yesterday, should be cleaning the toilets for the next six weeks, so he can get the smell of farces into him…
My side wasn't necessarily about this week, just what I think is the start of us moving up the ladder in 2023

Yeah Ziebs is about cooked. Had a good career.
Young- yep
Scott- def yep
Corr- Haven't followed his career, hasn't played enough for us for me to have an opinion.
Lazz isn't ready but at least can run and cover ground.
If young had kicked that goal yesterday after that step ... honestly I've seen Jy do the same thing and miss worse than Young did, but he needed to kick it. I think that's the thing. If he'd kicked it then he has a future, cios he didn't he doesn't. The players we want will make sure of goals like that. Still think Scott may make it, but of the three 2018 boys he's the one I'm least confident about.

Corr was really good for us last year before he stubbed his toe and was out for the season.

WE should try Lazz as a small forward in or around the goal square. He has elite agility and pace off the mark and can kick, well he could last year.

If young had kicked that goal yesterday after that step ... honestly I've seen Jy do the same thing and miss worse than Young did, but he needed to kick it. I think that's the thing. If he'd kicked it then he has a future, cios he didn't he doesn't. The players we want will make sure of goals like that. Still think Scott may make it, but of the three 2018 boys he's the one I'm least confident about.

Corr was really good for us last year before he stubbed his toe and was out for the season.

WE should try Lazz as a small forward in or around the goal square. He has elite agility and pace off the mark and can kick, well he could last year.
I’m not seeing it with Lazz at the moment. I think for his development he needs a block of games in the VFL to work on his game. His deficiencies get majorly exposed at AFL level.

If we are going to bring in a small forward I would like us to go down the Paul Curtis path, who is a genuine small forward, not a midfielder disguised as one.

As for Young, was the least of our worries yesterday. Not sure he is part of the side long term, but for now there are a few on the chopping block before him.

When our players are kicking to Jyza's head in a 2 or 3 on 1 expecting him to mark the ball, there are clearly some major issues.

Another outstanding round 1 achievement from the blue and white. I jest. It was bloody painful.

Positives - some driven by blind optimism:
  • shades of round 1 last year where it looked like the players just met each other in the change room. Improvement ahead.
  • If Mackay stayed on the ground and found touch there is a chance we could have won this.
  • JHF - OMG squee. Probably going to be our best player since Carey assuming he doesn't break in half or spend his days reading Big Footy.
  • Goldie - still a huge asset
  • Simpkin - looks like he has permanently gone up a level.
  • Mahoney - if Jack was faster and we had two of him good things would ensue.
  • Lazarro - probably starting 22
  • Greenwood - a few signs, critical in Cunnington's absence.
  • Ziebell - still a role to play down back
  • Larkey & Zuhaar - will only get better. .
  • Noble smart enough to drop the three ruckmen idea immediately

Negatives
  • We don't have a back spine. Left unresolved this season will be worse than last year.
  • It is entirely possible that we are a slow starting team with a few huge losses ahead short term.
  • Thomas & Stevenson - concerning they did not impose themselves against mediocre oppo.

Probably a lot more but until Mackay gets proper support we're here through loyalty alone. A huge worry is that there are no clear options available.
One more positive - LDU. 9 tackles really stood out.

Positives:

I reckon some of our handballing backwards was more precise and trained than previously seen. It don’t work sometimes, but especially around the boundary, we seemed to be a lot sharper in that regard.

Yes there were a lot of technique issues, but that was as much to do with poor execution and slippery ball with a sweaty palm as it was lack of handballing talent.

My biggest question from yesterday isn't even about selection or skills - it is on what was it that we worked over the summer on?
There was no structure, no obvious game plan, no transition system that would indicate some practice. Just seemed like we just got together for the first time in a while.

Not a great sign of the coaching group being on the right track
Thought our centre square work early was brilliant. We just couldn’t keep it up.

Pretty damning that their 2 x best players were their intercept defenders.

Pretty much shows how poorly the forward line functioned.

2 intercept defenders

2 forwards who were able to be isolated on our undersized backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say our Big Footy commentary on the game is on par with the team’s performance - a bit all over the place. Right now, I’ll keep my powder dry until after the WC game. I fully expect bounce backs from TT, Stevo and Zurhaar. Hopefully, McKay gets up. He seemed strangely all at sea early anyway. Guaranteed, he’ll improve. CCJ is the real conundrum, though. However, our lack of decent ball use, most likely, emphasised his short comings. My sense is that Xerri cannot really make it unless Goldy leaves/retires. Larkey needs to hold the simple ones. He still managed his couple of goals, though. We really need Comben to “arrive” in order to make our forward line truly threatening.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
BMac be no chance under concussion protocol would he?

Big take away from the weekend.

All Most of the bottom sides from last year looked to have improved, except for one.

I will let you guess the one?

Collingwood - tick
Hawthorn - tick too early to tell
Adelaide - tick

I hope that North can put it together but really, on yesterday's effort it's hard to say where Hawthorn are at.

Some of our players thought yesterday was ok 😕Fk I know after any loss I don’t smile for hrs but that’s just me.View attachment 1350581
the scariest thing for Norths development would be creating a culture of losing.
The players should be upset at their performance not laughing it off and collecting another paycheck.
We cant afford to be this decades Carlton.

Just as an aside, and I think TAO has already mentioned, does anyone seriously think that if winning was the first priority Xerri would be rucking most of the first quarter over Goldy?
No but the win would have been nice.
Regardless of result or aim you play your best on field and a lot here are saying that we just didn't see that.

Yep those three would make a huge difference, partly due to them being more than capable of playing the modern game and partly cause it means three currently in the side make way.
Straight swap's for JZ, CCJ and Young if they play to their potential. If they do that by mid season we will look very different to yesterday. But the biggest issue is the forward coach and our transition inside 50. There is so little movement. Its like the players don't understand that running random leads without the expectation of getting the ball can actually start some movement on the forward line if you don't have any planned running lanes.

I think some of our forward line issues stem from our impotent half back line. Plenty of times yesterday the Hawks rebounded the ball quickly from defence into an open forward line. By comparison, we chipped sideways and inched forward giving them time to get back in numbers.

I think some of our forward line issues stem from our impotent half back line. Plenty of times yesterday the Hawks rebounded the ball quickly from defence into an open forward line. By comparison, we chipped sideways and inched forward giving them time to get back in numbers.
Ironically I think so of our impotent backline exits stem from the inertia of our forwards. We're probably both a bit right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back