Prediction Round 1 Hyped Up Dees V The Land of Giants Dogs 18/3/23 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a fully fit Melb as the best team ib the league. A demons side missing May brings thwm back to the pack a bit though. Hopefully we can start the year with an upset

Talk of Gawn being miles ahead of English isn’t fair on Tim, and I’m one of Tim’s harshest critics. Tim is still a baby in the ruck world, giving Max the edge because of leadership and impact is to be expected, he is 7 years his senior. Both games last year Tim did more than enough against Max, both had massive games.

Isn't Gawn playing mainly as a forward this year though, so really we should be comparing English to Grundy. Which I think isn't that far apart based off last year.

Gawn and Grundy are individually great but I have big reservations of it working as a duo. They are both number 1 type ruckman and neither have shown they have much forward craft besides resting there occasionally. Plonking Gawn in the 50 for majority of the game means the best ruckman in the league isn't rucking much.

For all the talk about how good Petracca is, he’s had one outstanding year of footy in his whole career. Didn’t really back it up last season, was really good without being great - pretty inconsistent for the most part and a bit wasteful, not saying he had a poor year but wasn’t in the same class as the top handful of mids in the comp.

2021 he was insanely good sure but until he can show it wasn’t a fluke and do it consistently year after year he’s not fit to tie Bonts shoelaces.

So is Schache likely to be lining up in the backs for the Dees?

I hope so. He'll likely rev himself up a bit too much to prove a point, then lose the plot if we get a run of goals on him. He's not the sort you'd want on the bridge when the ship is leaking.

Sorry Schache, I feel bad writing this. But you are one spotty leopard.

Don’t remember if you or someone else suggested but I like the idea of Naughton as a spare behind the ball in red-time each quarter.
I noted that it had happened, certainly not me being original. I suspect Darcy goes back at times (especially late in quarters) as Gawn will try and sneak down there, with Grundy in the ruck, and take the 3rd defender.

One thing in our favor is that Marra, Darcy and English are excellent by foot so if they take a shallow mark they can still be dangerous taking that last kick inside 50. There aren't too many talls you could say that about

For all the talk about how good Petracca is, he’s had one outstanding year of footy in his whole career. Didn’t really back it up last season, was really good without being great - pretty inconsistent for the most part and a bit wasteful, not saying he had a poor year but wasn’t in the same class as the top handful of mids in the comp.

2021 he was insanely good sure but until he can show it wasn’t a fluke and do it consistently year after year he’s not fit to tie Bonts shoelaces.
Petracca was also extremely good in 2020. He was named as a follower in the All Australian side and finished 3rd in the Brownlow and AFLPA MVP and 2nd in the AFLCA Player of the Year award. 2021 was undoubtedly his best season and he was not at that same standard in 2022 (despite still being named All Australian for the 3rd year running), but he's far from a one-season wonder.

In saying that, Bontempelli has clearly been more consistently elite across his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca was also extremely good in 2020. He was named as a follower in the All Australian side and finished 3rd in the Brownlow and AFLPA MVP and 2nd in the AFLCA Player of the Year award. 2021 was undoubtedly his best season and he was not at that same standard in 2022 (despite still being named All Australian for the 3rd year running), but he's far from a one-season wonder.

In saying that, Bontempelli has clearly been more consistently elite across his career.
Fair, to be honest I’ve erased 2020 from my memory as a shitshow of a season that doesn’t really count 🤪

But yeah fair, fluke probably wasn’t the correct word to use - just would like to see him perform at that level year in year out before I’d have him in my top handful of mids of the current generation.

Tim better on Marks (5.4 vs 4.1), ~ equiv. on marks inside 50 (0.9 vs. 1), much better on inside 50s (3.2 vs 1.5)

Thanks.

How bout contested Marks?

Watching both play, coupled with the stats provided, English clearly better around the ground. Gawn quiet a way ahead on ruck contests.

I think Gawn’s current form/ability is overrated on reputation. I think English is approaching the point of being the better player, if not already doing so.

I think those claiming he’s a mile behind Gawn are a mile off the mark.

If there’s one thing I know about AFL it’s that good teams beat amazing individuals. You don’t have to look beyond Richmond’s success to find a club where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts. Every team has some jets and we are no exception. I just hope Bevo has them all purring.

As an aside, I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited about a season. The Dogs are a huge part of that obviously…but I am just s**tting myself with excitement to have the footy back.

absolutely. dont forget we were up and playing well in the third quarter of the GF before the wheels fell off. same same for a lot of key games including our last game against freo. Feels like we were performing less than the sum of our parts for the last couple of years and only herculean efforts by certain individuals papering over the cracks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back