Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Early seasons Simpson is outrageously good.

It's not 1 round. It's a pattern of behaviour. Literally the last game of the season was exactly the same.
OK, knock the players and the club after a round 1 loss. Let's hear it...

After one round, I won'r.

The wings and forwardline are still our biggest weakness. There were a handful of players out there today that aren't up to the level. Replace them this week, no ******* about.

Amiss for Tabs
NOD for Hughes
Johnson for Fyfe
Erasmus for Banfield
Sturt for Treacy
Walters for Henry
Yes ... and no. NOD in, Sturt in, Walters in but not for Henry, Erasmus / Banfield 50-50.

Not convinced about Amiss for Tabs or Johnson for Fyfe. Fyfe is better than he showed today but he wasn't the only abject disappointment.

Slow movement against a Lyon team is dumb planning. All that does is give them time to flood back and we never learned the whole game. 5 minutes to go and 3 goals down and we still held the ball up. F*** knows why. Even I could see that was just playing into their hands and I'm not ever going to coach at that level.

Theoretically, if you can move at the speed of light, you won't experience time so you could just run over to the next universe and wouldn't have aged a second. Before you leave though, you'll need to reverse the expansion of the universe otherwise you can't travel fast enough to get to the edge anyway.

Also go on a big diet before you leave since you can't go at the speed of light because it requires infinite energy if you have a non-zero mass.

So probably not.

Err ….. so there’s not just like an app or something then ?

Worst coaching performance I've seen in a quite a while. Gameplan today was putrid, predictable and lazy.

I've seen us have a bad loss in round 2 last year and bounce back, so I'm trying to prevent myself from venting too much, but the issues we have haven't beek fixed and that is one million percent on JL

Last edited:
Worst coaching performance I've seen in a quite a while. Gameplan today was putrid, predictable and lazy.

I've seen us have a bad loss in round 2 last year and bounce back, but the issues we have haven't beek fixed and that is one million percent on JL
This is it.
The players aren’t particularly the problem. The gameplan today was poor. Can back the same players next week with faster ball movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow
Could really just copy and paste critique from the last three years.

Worse bits:
Psychology: boring, safe, non imaginative, dull, defensive, fearful, flairless non purple.
Coaching: catatonic, paralytic, blank denialism.
Mids: need more speed in there.
Wings: need our elite disposers into the wings.
Tall Forwards: all lead to the pockets, all lead to the same spot, never have a crumber.

When u keep doing the same thing with the same poor result and u dont change …thats coaching. JLo keeps on about not knee jerking and making rational decisions but its time to make some big decisions.

Our backline is great, time to move our better players up the ground to the wings and forward and backfill with our reserve defenders like Walker etc.

Chapman/Clark and or Young need to be at least one more line forward.

See Young when he got it on the wing and nailed the kick into the forward line?

I fear the brains of the outfit may have gone to Port Power
Not sure this is the sole reason even if it is a factor. It’s not like they forget everything he taught them the day he leaves.
Brodie was so poor today. He needs to rediscover his touch from last year and fast, because that there performance today is a one way ticket to Peel Thunder if you ask me. Mundys 25 disposals of class and elite ball use a game last year are not being replaced by JOM either, that’s also evident.

Wow
Could really just copy and paste critique from the last three years.

Worse bits:
Psychology: boring, safe, non imaginative, dull, defensive, fearful, flairless non purple.
Coaching: catatonic, paralytic, blank denialism.
Mids: need more speed in there.
Wings: need our elite disposers into the wings.
Tall Forwards: all lead to the pockets, all lead to the same spot, never have a crumber.

When u keep doing the same thing with the same poor result and u dont change …thats coaching. JLo keeps on about not knee jerking and making rational decisions but its time to make some big decisions.

Our backline is great, time to move our better players up the ground to the wings and forward and backfill with our reserve defenders like Walker etc.

Chapman/Clark and or Young need to be at least one more line forward.

See Young when he got it on the wing and nailed the kick into the forward line?
Couldn’t agree more. It’s up to the coaches to find a way to get all of Clark, Walker, Chapman, Young and Wilson into the team if they like Wilson (I didn’t mind him today).
What about Chapman to the midfield? Or maybe Clark up to a wing?
Slot Walker in at half back to replace Clark.
If there’s a wing vacant, surely you move a few magnets to get the most talented players into the side instead of saying, “no, that wing position is off limits for all the halfbacks” and instead heading down to peel to find a player that couldn’t get a look in all last year in Hughes?
Where are these mature age draftees anyway? Wagner and Emmet?
You shouldnt be hanging around at peel if you are mature ager, should be pushing to play AFL immediately otherwise why draft them?
Lachie Schultz played R1 2019 after being drafted as a 20 year old. Ballantyne the same before him.

Just got home, random thoughts before I brace myself to go back and read this thread from the start...

- dropped forward line marks killed us. Just killed us. We should have had at least another 4 goals or so from set shots if our forwards could hold an easy mark. Off the top of my head, Tabs, Treacy and Darcy all dropped relatively uncontested sitters in front of goals.

- there was no dash or dare, we must have only broken the lines a handful of times. It was all stop, slow, banging it in long on top of heads

- speaking of, I didn't rate Ryan's game as highly as the stats would suggest. Does he create anything with his disposal? All I saw today was aimless Acre-esque bombs that went as high as they did long. Perhaps I'm underrating his defensive game but he didn't stand out to me in that sense like Cox and Young did either. And I'm certainly not rewatching that shower of shite to find out

- I was amazed to see Serong had 29 touches, I barely noticed him

- Tbh, we had a pretty dream run from the umps in terms of them handing us goals and we could still barely kick a score. Depressing as f**k

Honestly, after listening to JLo's presser, I think this one is on the players. He said they knew what they were going to get from St Kilda and had planned for it. Reading between the lines he is putting this solely on the players. He mentioned the same issues we have been mentioning so it isn't like they hadn't planned for how to counter what St Kilda were doing.

Could he have done more to try and change things? Probably but with the performance of the 22 on the field there isn't much that could be done.

Honestly, after listening to JLo's presser, I think this one is on the players. He said they knew what they were going to get from St Kilda and had planned for it. Reading between the lines he is putting this solely on the players. He mentioned the same issues we have been mentioning so it isn't like they hadn't planned for how to counter what St Kilda were doing.

Could he have done more to try and change things? Probably but with the performance of the 22 on the field there isn't much that could be done.
Yeah not buying that

How good was Brad Hill? Best game I’ve seen him play since he left us.
Sinclair was the best player on the field by a country mile in my opinion. He’s absolutely class, and came from the rookie list too.

Yeah not buying that

Watching him you could tell he was seething inside and not just disappointed. That to me shows he is telling the truth. He was trying so hard not to bash the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back