Preview Round 1 Preview : Hawthorn v Essendon, 7.40pm Sat 20th March, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If cousins is fit and Howe has been selected over him jeez. You’re not gonna reward cousins for last year averaging 20 touches 5 score involvements at 82%. Also scrimshaw has been left out of the team to start off the season for the 2nd year in a row. Hope it’s because both need match conditioning.
Yeah, Cousins and Scrimshaw were pretty good against the Roos.

On a positive note, looking forward to the debuts of Kosi and Brocky, if not Downie (but fingers crossed).

What if... just what if the team plays well enough to make it all too hard to fit the likes of a Scrimshaw, Gunners or Wingers coming back in. Now those are selection problems I'd like to see.
Gunners and wingard are best 18 without a doubt , they don’t need to fight for selection.

Gunners and wingard are best 18 without a doubt , they don’t need to fight for selection.
With any luck they'll have to fight for it- when our senior players are under pressure from the young brigade we'll know we're doing the right things.

Will clarko play T Mitchell after very limited prep?
Has locked fit as a fiddle on the track for months, just without full contact. Would be surprised if he pulled him.

With any luck they'll have to fight for it- when our senior players are under pressure from the young brigade we'll know we're doing the right things.
Not sure by they if you mean the kids. Gunston just came off a Coleman like season, wingard top 5 best and fairest. Gunston and wingard will never have have to worry about their spot.

Not sure by they if you mean the kids. Gunston just came off a Coleman like season, wingard top 5 best and fairest. Gunston and wingard will never have have to worry about their spot.
They're definitely safe for the minute, but we want our others to lift too. If someone has an absolute stinker one week, I'm hoping the boys playing in the reserves are putting on a heap of pressure to make them feel like their spot isn't safe. If T. Brockman comes out and kicks four, Hanrahan kicks three and Moore kicks three, I want the selectors to have to agonise over who comes out for Wingard.

Top ten players at our club and they ain't 6-10

Scrim not playing is a bit odd. I wonder if it's just match fitness, or if his defensive work is a bit sloppy? Typically when good, notable offensive players get left out its because their two way running/def awareness is poor. Think JJ at the dogs now.

The other thing is you have to reward form. Playing Scrim makes CJ miss, and he was close to BOG vs North. I like the selection headaches we have, and even if we lose a bit I hope we continue to have them throughout the year cos our young guns keep knocking on the door

I'm really happy Ollie got rewarded. He was fantastic both pre season games and I would've been sad to see him miss.

Very disappointing. Especially when average players like Howe are picked.

The whole "debut" video/excitement for Downie was a big let down.

Surprised with some attitudes. Brockman, Kosi, Hanrahan, CJ, and Moore playing plus Downie as a sub is a great crew of talent playing to sit back and watch. It's also ideal to have Downie be able to get a taste through the sub position. I don't get the lens of looking at through which any one player gets a game.

I think it's a little more complicated than picking young players we like as soon as possible... We need players who can carry out game plans and play key roles, which Howe clearly does, regardless if he isn't an exciting enough player for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top ten players at our club and they ain't 6-10

Scrim not playing is a bit odd. I wonder if it's just match fitness, or if his defensive work is a bit sloppy? Typically when good, notable offensive players get left out its because their two way running/def awareness is poor. Think JJ at the dogs now.

The other thing is you have to reward form. Playing Scrim makes CJ miss, and he was close to BOG vs North. I like the selection headaches we have, and even if we lose a bit I hope we continue to have them throughout the year cos our young guns keep knocking on the door

I'm really happy Ollie got rewarded. He was fantastic both pre season games and I would've been sad to see him miss.
Must be Match fitness for scrim, he went to another level playing the Sicily role. Yeah Ollie has looked the good in pre season hopefully it translates to the real stuff.

Is is though? He has played less than 30 career games (so not quite an "established player" despite finishing last year really strongly) and has a poor injury history. He didn't get to do any match conditioning in the two practice games and has only relatively recently got back into full training. There's plenty of good, fit options to play down back at the moment so why risk bringing him without any hitouts against actual opposition under his belt?

I'd suggest Lewis is missing this game for similar reasons.

Is is though? He has played less than 30 career games (so not quite an "established player" despite finishing last year really strongly) and has a poor injury history. He didn't get to do any match conditioning in the two practice games and has only relatively recently got back into full training. There's plenty of good, fit options to play down back at the moment so why risk bringing him without any hitouts against actual opposition under his belt?

Lewis was pretty good against the dogs, shame he missed the norf game. The way that game went he would of kicked 3-4 goals.

i more mean that when fit he's best 22, and he was declared fit. otherwise i agree

Is he in our best 22? Hell yes. He is arguably our most talented young player along with Worpel and Day.

In the context of a self-confessed rebuilding year, it would be a bit inconceivable to leave him out. Must be some concern around his fitness.

Surprised with some attitudes. Brockman, Kosi, Hanrahan, CJ, and Moore playing plus Downie as a sub is a great crew of talent playing to sit back and watch. It's also ideal to have Downie be able to get a taste through the sub position. I don't get the lens of looking at through which any one player gets a game.

I think it's a little more complicated than picking young players we like as soon as possible... We need players who can carry out game plans and play key roles, which Howe clearly does, regardless if he isn't an exciting enough player for some.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to seeing those guys get a go - as I'm sure we all are.

But I really wanted to see Downie out there. And the whole "debut" video seems like an absolute joke now. Unless of course there's a late out line Lickmesocks has suggested.

As for carrying out the game plan - why would Downie even be in consideration if he the coaches didn't believe he could do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back