Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is midfielders need time in the midfield

No value to us left in vfl

The crisp experiment success hbf means that others will be trialled in other positions when they can be replaced by others and gee who knows like crisp might turn out great

What happens when wells wills de goey greenwood come in

Our biggest weakness this season IMOo is back pocket

Is rather see Maynard up the ground and degoey in the guts with wills and sier

You're not saying we're Mid heavy are you Darky? Geez that'd be a turn up for the books!

When Wells De Goey come in two other players go out, C Brown or Aish for example.

I dont see Greenwood Wills as best 22. Or Sier just yet.

Reslly dont see what youre trying to say. Pressure on spots is good but at the end of the day theres not a lot of difference these days between flanks wings or midfield, especially with the 4 man bench. They cant all be in the guts but rotations allow plenty to run through there.

Adams is the best option for the position of back pocket

He is the best 1 on 1 competitor in the team BY A lonG WAY
Has the strength to play on deep forwards ( you know the guys who kill us every week)
Will give us a better options in the guts which need playing for us to improve

BACKLINES WIN FLAGS which is why we've been shite and have shite ball movement

But lets do the same old and expect a different result

This is a finals bound top 4 team and by the end of the year IMO the go

Adams Dunn Howe

Murray. Moore crisp

WHE de goey. Maynard

Sidey mcclarty wills

Elliott. Cox. Varcoe

Grundy pendels. At

Greenwood.(tag) Stephenson Langdon thomas

You're not saying we're Mid heavy are you Darky? Geez that'd be a turn up for the books!

We off course are but they need to play

2010 15 to 16 mids types if I remember , dash everywhere

Like crisp to hbf

Adams needs to move to back pocket

Lock down on the match winners ( no one else ATM)

Adams is the best option for the position of back pocket

He is the best 1 on 1 competitor in the team BY A lonG WAY
Has the strength to play on deep forwards ( you know the guys who kill us every week)
Will give us a better options in the guts which need playing for us to improve

BACKLINES WIN FLAGS which is why we've been shite and have shite ball movement

But lets do the same old and expect a different result

This is a finals bound top 4 team and by the end of the year IMO the go

Adams Dunn Howe

Murray. Moore crisp

WHE de goey. Maynard

Sidey mcclarty wills

Elliott. Cox. Varcoe

Grundy pendels. At

Greenwood.(tag) Stephenson Langdon thomas

I'm completely on board with this...love it.

Got a few out but still got a good enough side to knock the Hawks off. Would obviously be more confident with the likes of Elliott, Wells, DeGoey, Greenwood, Goldsack etc playing but I think a few of the younger blokes will step up. We still have an A grade midfield and that's where the game will need to be won.
Really like to see Sidey play up forward with a few of our forwards missing.

Crisp and Maynard alternating between the wing and half back.

Love to see Stephenson start round 1 - would love to have someone with electric pace in the forward pocket.

How I hope to see us line up:

B - Langdon Dunn Howe
HB - Murray Moore Maynard
C - WHE Pendlebury Crisp
HF - Thomas Reid Sidebottom
F - Varcoe Cox Stephenson
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Brown Phillips

Then any two of Blair, Sharenberg, Broomhead, Miohcheck, Daicos, Smith

Looking at Igniter's team just above we are really scraping the barrel when we get to 21 and 22 in the squad. Of the names he mentions none of them deserve a game on current form. Stephenson who Igniter included in the 18 may well get a game after all, simply because we are running out of names worthy of the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Usually my pre-game optimism kicks in by the time I start thinking about who might get selected, but no such joy this week. I just think that the absence of key players will really hamstring our ability to compete. Wells would be good, but the lack of JDG's grunt and Elliott's class up forward hurt the most.

But who knows how the team will gel on the day, and who knows what sort of Hawthorn will turn up.

B: Murray ~ Dunn ~ Langdon

HB: Adams ~ Moore ~ Howe

C: Varcoe ~ Treloar ~ Smith

HF:
WHE ~ Reid ~ Stephenson

F:
Sidebottom ~ Cox ~ Crocker

Foll:
Grundy ~ Pendlebury ~ Thomas

I/C: Crisp ~ Phillips ~ Maynard ~ Brown

* If Fasolo is ready to play, then he takes Crocker's spot.
* If Aish is ready to play, then he takes Smith's spot.
* I like the form of Josh Thomas. Looked decent last year, seems to be stepping it up.
* Neither Brown nor Phillips feel like solid inclusions, but they are ahead of Daicos and Broomhead in my opinion.
* Sier and Scharenberg should be in the wider frame, but otherwise have work to do to prove themselves at VFL.

EDIT: Final Score

Hawthorn: 11 12 78
Collingwood: 13 10 88

Last edited:
Looking at Igniter's team just above we are really scraping the barrel when we get to 21 and 22 in the squad. Of the names he mentions none of them deserve a game on current form. Stephenson who Igniter included in the 18 may well get a game after all, simply because we are running out of names worthy of the squad.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Blair selected as a small forward.

Usually my pre-game optimism kicks in by the time I start thinking about who might get selected, but no such joy this week. I just think that the absence of key players will really hamstring our ability to compete. Wells would be good, but the lack of JDG's grunt and Elliott's class up forward hurt the most.

But who knows how the team will gel on the day, and who knows what sort of Hawthorn will turn up.

B: Murray ~ Dunn ~ Langdon

HB: Adams ~ Moore ~ Howe

C: Varcoe ~ Treloar ~ Smith

HF:
WHE ~ Reid ~ Stephenson

F:
Sidebottom ~ Cox ~ Crocker

Foll:
Grundy ~ Pendlebury ~ Thomas

I/C: Crisp ~ Phillips ~ Maynard ~ Brown

* If Fasolo is ready to play, then he takes Crocker's spot.
* If Aish is ready to play, then he takes Smith's spot.
* I like the form of Josh Thomas. Looked decent last year, seems to be stepping it up.
* Neither Brown nor Phillips feel like solid inclusions, but they are ahead of Daicos and Broomhead in my opinion.
* Sier and Scharenberg should be in the wider frame, but otherwise have work to do to prove themselves at VFL.

Agree with most of that except your lack of confidence. Its a solid team despite a few absences and Hawthorn arent the team they used to be.

I wouldnt select Crocker personally. If Fasolo is not read then just select an extra midfielder (Broomhead, Aish, Sier)

Agree with most of that except your lack of confidence. Its a solid team despite a few absences and Hawthorn arent the team they used to be.

I wouldnt select Crocker personally. If Fasolo is not read then just select an extra midfielder (Broomhead, Aish, Sier)

The confidence might kick in after my second pre-game beer on Bridge Rd, but the team on paper doesn't get me thrilled at this point. I certainly acknowledge that the dynamics during the game could go our way.

Crocker has never been called an 'excitement machine', for good reason, but I wouldn't mind some more opportunities to see what he can do. A decent lead-up marking type would be handy, and Crocker does this quite well. Unfortunately he struggles when the ball hits the deck, but I still think he's developing his game.

I want Aish to play if he's fit, but I think that Sier will need to build himself through VFL first. I'd certainly love to see him given a shot soon, though.

Didn't Crocker kick goals against the Hawks (last year?)

Think it was the year before last, he kicked a couple.

His marking game is fine, but everything else is a bit wayward. I wouldn't mind seeing him given an opportunity to show improvement, but he's behind Fasolo if the Fas is fit.

Don't you believe in fate? I do. In choosing to have De Goey train with the VFL, the club have created for him an alternative set of life circumstances that have resulted in his strained hamstring. You can call it bollocks or whatever you like. I have chosen paths in my own life which have created their own outcomes. Had I acted differently, I would have trodden a different path and enjoyed a totally different set of outcomes. If it works for me, it does for the club.

You can dismiss my claim out of hand and call it whatever you like, but that doesn't alter my belief that De Goey would still have been available for selection round 1 if not for the club's punishment. Don't much appreciate your abrupt manner either. Just because you're incognito in cyber space doesn't mean you have to act like a dead set campaigner.

To assume De Goey got injured because hes training with the VFL is absolute nonsense. We have numerous injuries and I highly doubt life choices, or fate, or trodden paths have anything to do with any of them, or nothing that makes De Goeys situation different from the others anyway.

Except to say that De Goey was reported earlier in the season as not being fit enough. So perhaps his wake up call has resulted in him playing catchup in his training programme and adding injury risk by overdoing it in an effort to get to the required standard. Like Wells last year. Nothing to do with playing VFL though, more to do with a poor approach in the first place if this is the case.

Sorry, injury caused by being with the VFL list I s bollocks. No need to take it personally though. It wasn’t a personal insult.

Last edited:
The point is midfielders need time in the midfield

No value to us left in vfl

The crisp experiment success hbf means that others will be trialled in other positions when they can be replaced by others and gee who knows like crisp might turn out great

What happens when wells wills de goey greenwood come in

Our biggest weakness this season IMOo is back pocket

Is rather see Maynard up the ground and degoey in the guts with wills and sier
Wills and Greenwood shouldn't come in.

Clarkson said you need your best ball users and smartest players off half back. Any suggestion that Adams can play this roll goes against one of if not the best coach of the last 30+ years.

Adams is a turn over king. Half Back flank is the last place we want it turning over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back