Preview Round 1 v Hawks (team listed #982 p40)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee whiz Sicily is being pumped up. Far out done very little from my eyes to have any major attention put on him.

Since being moved into defense after Round 11 last year this is where he ranked amongst the AFL half backs

Ranked 2 in contested marks amongst defenders
Ranked 2 in disposals behind Docherty
Ranked 2nd in marks
Ranked 2nd in effective kicks
Ranked 1st in goals per game amongst the half back flankers

Since being moved into defense after Round 11 last year this is where he ranked amongst the AFL half backs

Ranked 2nd in marks
I see maybe I'll need to watch closely his stats seem elite now.

Ranked 2nd in marks

Impressive stats.. source? Apparently after 10 games in defence he's a star? Take it easy.

Ranked 2nd in marks
Where are you finding these very time specific, position specific stats?

Impressive stats.. source? Apparently after 10 games in defence he's a star? Take it easy.

He’s not a star yet, but considering who Hawthorn faced and the amount of senior defenders out last year, being moved from a half forward role where he was average in to the half back flank and playing well and beating his opponents wasn’t easy to do.

That’s fine if you don’t rate him. That’s you’re opinion and I respect that.

Hopefully the weather holds up on Saturday Night and it’s a good game.

If we don't put some forward-defensive pressure on Sicily he will carve us up, those that didn't watch any of his late season games wouldn't know how effective of a defender he has become after being switched there half way through last season, but it's the offensive side of his game that can really hurt you.

His disposal by foot is elite, rarely misses targets.

He’s not a star yet, but considering who Hawthorn faced and the amount of senior defenders out last year, being moved from a half forward role where he was average in to the half back flank and playing well and beating his opponents wasn’t easy to do.

That’s fine if you don’t rate him. That’s you’re opinion and I respect that.

Hopefully the weather holds up on Saturday Night and it’s a good game.

When did I say I don't rate him.. all I wrote was that he's not a star as yet. Obviously he played well in the spot.. now that the dust has settled we'll see his real value.

I like him a lot.. but he's come out of the blue.. Clarko surprised everyone with that move.. no surprises now.. he might turn out to be a star.. but it could also turn out the other way.

Wait until the bloke gets beaten a coupla times.. let's see if his discipline diminishes over time.. perhaps they didn't lock down on him enough. Must remember.. Clarko threw a spanner in the works.

I agree I think he is a good, competitive player, but a long way to go before being considered a star. It’s hreat throwing up stats, however, I would love to know who he played on each week.

Ranked 2nd in marks

Thank you for pointing out the stats.

As I said earlier, I really hope we put a lot of time into him.

To be honest, I'm not a huge Sicily fan. But if we allow him to play loose then he can have a big impact on the game. We need a plan for him. He has shown vulnerabilities when paid close attention.

I think most of the options we would have used are out. I think Goldsack would have taken the role, and if not him the Greenwood. Alternatively it may have been De Goey to get under his nose, or even Billy Elliott to hold him accountable. The fact all 4 of those are out is a huge concern for me.

So I think we may need to be creative with someone like Maynard who is a good size match for him, or even playing Crocker.

The other options are WHE or Stephenson, but both are too skinny for him.

He is a concern for me because we are known to bomb it long, and we are also known to allow our opposition a spare defender. Allowing Sicily this freedom is dangerous. As I said, I'm not his biggest fan, but I acknowledge that when allowed to roam free, he can be very damaging.

When did I say I don't rate him.. all I wrote was that he's not a star as yet. Obviously he played well in the spot.. now that the dust has settled we'll see his real value.

That’s fair enough. I’m sure there would’ve been some Collingwood fans who were sceptical about Moore playing as a defender during the off-season, but look at how well he’s performed so far and it looks like he’s found a new role.

Anyway both teams will likely field a vastly different line-up than the last time they faced. I think the wet weather may favour Collingwood.

We'll see the value of Sicily this yr.. it might have been a breath of fresh air for him last yr.. something new and exciting.. not new and exciting anymore.. hard work..

Perhaps, but the point is that if we let him play loose and on his terms, he can carve us up.

I agree that if we put time into him then his effectiveness can be diminished.

But we always play a forward short, and never seem to put work into the spare defender. I think this would be a recipe for disaster against hawthorn who are still a highly skilled side by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a highly skilled user of a ball playing under Clarko.. and a highly skilled user of the ball playing under Buckley.. are 2 different things all together. I don't buy into the whole Hawthorn has superior skills mentality. These players can play with their eyes closed under him and still hit targets not because they're highly skilled.

Well that's a different discussion altogether.

My only point here is that Sicily is dangerous if allowed to play on his terms. Unfortunately, the way we structure plays into Sicily's hands because it will allow Hawthorn loose numbers. I would like to see us play accountable on him.

Hi guys I know this is pretty random but i picked up Josh Smith in my fantasy draft team and was just wondering if he's in the best 22 for round 1? Thanks

Gee whiz Sicily is being pumped up. Far out done very little from my eyes to have any major attention put on him.

Found his niche at HB, very damaging with his intercepts and ball movement.

If we don't put some forward-defensive pressure on Sicily he will carve us up, those that didn't watch any of his late season games wouldn't know how effective of a defender he has become after being switched there half way through last season, but it's the offensive side of his game that can really hurt you.

His disposal by foot is elite, rarely misses targets.

Burton not far behind him.

Hi guys I know this is pretty random but i picked up Josh Smith in my fantasy draft team and was just wondering if he's in the best 22 for round 1? Thanks
Was outside the 22 but did ok in JLT and with injuries is 50:50 for a game this week

Very early forecast is for loads of rain.
It helps us I feel except for cox and Reid.
But t also takes Sicily and hawks good ball movement out of the way. We don't hit targets anyhow so can't see it effecting us

Very early forecast is for loads of rain.
It helps us I feel except for cox and Reid.
But t also takes Sicily and hawks good ball movement out of the way. We don't hit targets anyhow so can't see it effecting us

Why are we treating Hawthorn like they're ants pants.. they're not that good.. would rather a perfect night for football. Nice 20 degrees no rain or wind. I don't want a scrap fest for a win..

I agree there not that good and I have been confident all summer this is a win for us but if these players don't play I don't think we win.
Elliot
Fasolo
Aish
De goey
Greenwood
Wells
Goldsack

ok thanks, And Scharenberg?
Has slipped back behind a few during preseason and doesnt seem to be in contention for round 1. Looks like a VFL start to the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back