Review Round 1 vs West Coast Eagles, Optus Stadium, Sunday March 20, 4:40pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Isolating at home COVID positive so had a chance to watch the replay. Commentators made so much of the Eagles outs losing 1449 games of experience, but interestingly, when I tallied up the respective teams average number of games and years in the AFL system it was -
Eagles - 92 games / 7.55 years
Suns - 78 games / 6.32 years

Eagles actually more experienced than we were!! Another year or two into this group and we could really be on the up and playing finals :)
AFL exchange actually mention a stat like this at the end of their podcast this week.

Good to see the other side of the narrative for the West Coast game and shows that we don’t have the depth of veterans other clubs have. We’re building good depth, but it’s mostly young depth.

Ainsworth obviously stuffed a few things up higher up the ground this week but seems more and more likely to be a reliable goal kicker this year.

practice match vs Port: 12 disposals, 1 mark, 0 goals.
practice match vs. Geelong: 19 disposals, 7 marks, 4 goals
Rd 1 vs. WCE: 18 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals, 2 goal assists

His career high is only 14 goals in a season. o_O

I reckon he'll go past 25 this year.

Ainsworth obviously stuffed a few things up higher up the ground this week but seems more and more likely to be a reliable goal kicker this year.

practice match vs Port: 12 disposals, 1 mark, 0 goals.
practice match vs. Geelong: 19 disposals, 7 marks, 4 goals
Rd 1 vs. WCE: 18 disposals, 5 marks, 2 goals, 2 goal assists

His career high is only 14 goals in a season. o_O

I reckon he'll go past 25 this year.
Has a lot of potential. Needs to tidy up his entries into forward 50, as he is often hovering around half-forward there. If he can kick relatively straight he should get around 1 or 2 a game at least, from the amount of shots he takes most weeks.

Whately and Robbo are flabbergasted! So am I to be honest.
Yeah, very strange ruling. Think it will be a hot topic for a few days now.

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 9.29.01 pm.png

Powell intercepts, hits up Macpherson 70m from goal.

He doesn't see or ignores these EASY 20m chip kicks to Holman or Lukosius? that lead to a certain shot on goal from 45m out straight in front and instead goes long to Casboult against 3 tall defenders - he's lucky enough to get a free kick and kicks his second goal.

You can hear Pavlich audibly groaning on the coverage as he is ignoring all these free players.

View attachment 1351797

He doesn't see or ignores these EASY 20m chip kicks to Holman or Lukosius? that lead to a certain shot on goal from 45m out straight in front and instead goes long to Casboult against 3 tall defenders - he's lucky enough to get a free kick and kicks his second goal.

You can hear Pavlich audibly groaning on the coverage as he is ignoring all these free players.
Did not make a single good decision all game. He is crap

View attachment 1351797

He's a dumbass footballer who has patented the AFL box kick of the back of a ruck

View attachment 1351797

Or at least handball to Davies. He would have hit the right target—I’ve got faith in our latest number 5. Number 44 though… not so much.

Happy Snoop Dogg GIF by Morphin

Rowell did say it was a fair bump after the game but in saying that if he wasn't as tough as nails and got knocked or injured Willie would of got a few weeks. If roles were reversed I can guarantee WCE supporters would be losing their minds.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1351797

A valuable defensive forward when he does not have the ball.
A clanger fest when he has the ball.
So a neutral player I guess?

If we had few options I could understand it, but Secco and Flanders are sitting right there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1351797

Absolutely, not a good game by Darcy. Personally, I would like to see Flanders in the line-up instead.

To be fair you could probably pick up 10+ similar situations with other players. Many times players missed/did not see better placed players with that final kick/handball or just blasted ball to nobody. Sometimes it's pressure but I would hope once players grow in confidence, get more experience we take these opportunities.

A valuable defensive forward when he does not have the ball.
A clanger fest when he has the ball.
So a neutral player I guess?

If we had few options I could understand it, but Secco and Flanders are sitting right there.
I know if I was an opposition coach I’d be much happier seeing DMAC in the Suns lineup than Secko or even young Flanders who isn’t far away from a breakout game IMO - gets better each time I see him but unfortunately we don’t get much of a chance to see him. Enough said.

Thought Darcy played well enough V. Geelong to keep his spot. Only Dew knows if he keeps it this week (he’s usually stuck unchanged with winning sides in the past), but if the club wants to live up to its new mantra of being ruthless then underperforming players need to pay a price. Another game like that from Darcy and surely he needs to be sent back to the twos to find some form.

My biggest gripe with Darcy is no matter how little pressure he is under, he always goes for a dump kick down the line or to space. He never stops and take a moment to look through options. There was a moment against the Eagles, were he received a handball in space and instantly snapped a ball over his head forward, without looking or seeing what was around him.
We need to move past that s**t. That's losing football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back