Toast Round 10 = Collingwood 78-74 Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

'It's an Adelaide free, Adelaide free!' which he was yelling during the infamous Rankine kick I50 which he was basing off nothing other than what he was cheering for.
No he thought it was, they clarified that in the call. I mean… I don’t want to be a Lyon apologist but I just felt they were being neutral enough today. If you want biased you should’ve heard us in the Ponnie today!

When the whistle went I thought we infringed in the marking contest - couldn’t believe when it went our way
This indicates that watching live I didn’t think it was too far
Players regularly run that far or further (esp from kick outs) and in the context of the game I have no prob with it

Replay hindsight. Every time Billy or some player takes a huge grab by placing their hands on the back of their opponent, are you wanting the mark disallowed?
What? Placing hands on the back while taking a high mark is not a free kick. Never has been. So incomparable situations

The fact is that Rankine breached the rules. The umpire made the right call. Similar with kicks going 15m umpires often get it wrong or miss them, this time they got it right. The mistake from Rankine was one of the more obvious ones, just count the steps, if the umpire didn't make the call it would have been a poor mistake.

If this happened to us it'd be annoying (although even if the ump didn't call it, the win was still unlikely), but I'd accept it as the call is correct. I'd be annoyed at the player, not the umpire.

Were you at the game today? I agree when you say Coxy's judgement was poor today but for every ball he ran under or double grabbed he made a strong contest and forced the ball to ground or worked his arse off in ruck duels. He ran up and down the ground trying to be a target when we went forward and then ran hard and deep into defense to help out our backs. That huge spoil late in the game at the Punt Road end was magnificent. Putrid is a nasty word to use for a bloke who gave everything he had all day. He is just a good clunk or two away from regaining that strut and presence.

No Cox today- we don't win. Cameron needs a break and support. Krueger could not give anywhere near the support Cox does and as you say, his body is far less trustworthy.

Cox also lay some excellent tackles and chased hard to apply pressure. He moves incredibly well for a 7 footer.
How many times does Coxy get held? &/or one of his arms? It happens at nearly every single marking contest.

I don't ever remember the umps giving him a free. It's infuriating.

Were you at the game today? I agree when you say Coxy's judgement was poor today but for every ball he ran under or double grabbed he made a strong contest and forced the ball to ground or worked his arse off in ruck duels. He ran up and down the ground trying to be a target when we went forward and then ran hard and deep into defense to help out our backs. That huge spoil late in the game at the Punt Road end was magnificent. Putrid is a nasty word to use for a bloke who gave everything he had all day. He is just a good clunk or two away from regaining that strut and presence.

No Cox today- we don't win. Cameron needs a break and support. Krueger could not give anywhere near the support Cox does and as you say, his body is far less trustworthy.

Cox also lay some excellent tackles and chased hard to apply pressure. He moves incredibly well for a 7 footer.

His judgement has been poor for a long long time, its not exactly a recent thing or ground breaking. Opposition teams even put mid sized defenders on him now knowing he ain't going to mark it. For an almost 7 footer who has a huge advantage over his opponent, he is without a doubt the worst mark in the comp.

If you wanted someone who can just bring the ball to ground, you could get a mid sized forward to do that. That bronx cheer he copped when he took that uncontested mark in the backline said it all.

That spoil was the his best moment of the day no doubt, I give him credit for that but it was his only moment.

That 1 effective disposal for his 1 metre gain really made the difference today hey? You don't think Kreuger could match that and give a chop out to Cameron?

lolwut

We have been lionised as a Club over the last 24 months. Column inch after column inch about how good we are in close games. Every bloody tv show. Every bloody newspaper. Every bloody radio station. Even today - as just mentioned above - the commentary was regarding how Collingwood will find a way. And we did. And haven't we all lapped it up? We've loved it. Deservedly so. And it continues.

I mean, seriously...
It’s our system that helps us win. Even with key personnel out. Same as last year. Not as many soldiers out but key players at given times and some for lengthy periods.

Have a listen on SEN on Tuesday evenings. Interesting stats from Daniel Hoyne (Champion Data).

Talked about our game a few weeks ago and he was saying what we do when we don’t have the ball put us 6th in the league at the time.

This week, data shows apparently our game is better than last year.

His judgement has been poor for a long long time, its not exactly a recent thing or ground breaking. Opposition teams even put mid sized defenders on him now knowing he ain't going to mark it. For an almost 7 footer who has a huge advantage over his opponent, he is without a doubt the worst mark in the comp.

If you wanted someone who can just bring the ball to ground, you could get a mid sized forward to do that. That bronx cheer he copped when he took that uncontested mark in the backline said it all.

That spoil was the his best moment of the day no doubt, I give him credit for that but it was his only moment.

That 1 effective disposal for his 1 metre gain really made the difference today hey? You don't think Kreuger could match that and give a chop out to Cameron?
No. You don't get footy. Stuff stats. They are a laughable representation of a player's worth and out put so often. The eye test is the one that counts. The fact that Cox gets selected week in and week out under the legendary Fly's insightful eye says it all. The Bronx cheer says a lot about the Collingwood crowd, not Cox.

Cox was the second best contested mark in the comp in 2018. He equaled the record for most contested marks in a preliminary final. He has played around 120 games which places him in the top 15 % of players who have ever played the game. Those are stats which count. Contested marks are gold in our game. Games played is another stat which tells us about a player's value. Not bad for a gangly yank who had never heard of the game a few years ago. The worst mark in the comp? What an embarrassingly silly comment.

He is a premiership player who featured in one of the most iconic moments in our illustrious club's history. That centre bounce after Cameron put the Lions in front with five minutes remaining in the grand final saw Coxy get the vital tap which set the Degoey goal up. He won all of the final seven ruck contests with the Big O in the last ten minutes of that Grannie. Maybe Freddie would have done better.. How quickly we forget and how bitter we become even after another miraculous win by an undermanned team.

What? Placing hands on the back while taking a high mark is not a free kick. Never has been.

“Confusion over the rule emerged over the weekend when two spectacular marks - one by Melbourne's Ricky Petterd and the other by Adelaide's Jason Porplyzia - were allowed by the umpires despite the pair using their hands on the shoulders of their opponents as they leapt.”

Historically, players were penalised for high contact if they used their hands to balance themselves on an opponent.

Unless we’re going to argue semantics over back / shoulders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some things in life are inevitable. Death, taxes, and domus racing to the defence of Cox after someone dares to criticise him.
I thought he looked really awkward and ineffectual playing a tall forward role today. He gets away with more playing in the ruck, but Cameron is having such a consistent year that a back up ruck like Kreuger who essentially plays as a key forward seems more logical.

“Confusion over the rule emerged over the weekend when two spectacular marks - one by Melbourne's Ricky Petterd and the other by Adelaide's Jason Porplyzia - were allowed by the umpires despite the pair using their hands on the shoulders of their opponents as they leapt.”

Historically, players were penalised for high contact if they used their hands to balance themselves on an opponent.

Unless we’re going to argue semantics over back / shoulders.
Hardly semantics. Back is not high.

Either way, I have no problem with an umpire making a correct call. High marks have always been treated a little different. You're allowed to put knees on shoulders or even make high contact with a knee, hands are also usually allowed, Ablett Snr wouldnt have had a career if they weren't.

Running too far however has never been allowed. It's not always called because it can be difficult to judge. On obvious ones like Rankine's today though the umpires can't just let it go if they notice it. The right call was made, that's all there is to it. Rankine's unlucky the umpire noticed, but it was his mistake, not the umpire's.

Would I be correct in assuming today was the first time Pendles kicked 2 goals in an opening quarter since the epic 2010 Pendlebury, Bang, Goal prelim?
2007 - Rd 22 v Adelaide
2010 - PF v Geelong
2012 - Rd 8 v Geelong
2014 - Rd 15 v Carlton
2015 - Rd 8 v Gold Coast

Would I be correct in assuming today was the first time Pendles kicked 2 goals in an opening quarter since the epic 2010 Pendlebury, Bang, Goal prelim?
Not sure but what I do know is the last 3 weeks since weve copped injuries and Pendlebury has been made to play full midfield minutes he is playing like he's 2010 Pendlebury

Some things in life are inevitable. Death, taxes, and domus racing to the defence of Cox after someone dares to criticise him.
You bet. Only when they make ridiculous comments like "Cox is the worst mark in the AFL." Or "Cox was putrid."
Dumb comments. He is a workhorse. We are in all sorts if he goes down. Some have no idea about role players and how essential they are in freeing up the guns or giving them support. Beau often gets 8 touches or less but Fly would never think about dropping him for the same reason Cox is picked every week. The same applies to Schultz.

He was poor in the air today. I have no problem with fair criticism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back