Preview Round 10: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Friday 07/08/2020 @ 7:50 PM

Who's Aggregate will be higher?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT: T Bell, Ham, Zaka, Cahill, Townsend.

IN: Smack, Langford, Mozzie, McKenna, Hibberd.

The 5 omissions are completely necessary.

T Bell - Offered nothing around the ground or up forward. So insipid! Smack can chop out Draper & can support Stewart.

Zaka - enoughs enough! As a senior player he was embarrassing last night when we needed leadership!

Towner - Offers nothing. Is there an upside to him? Doesn’t chase, doesn’t touch the ball & has bad conversion on goal when he does.

Ham - Spectates too much & is scared to tackle. Just doesn’t get enough if it for a midfielder.

Cahill - struggling to pick up pace of the game. Looks lost. 2 disposals doesn’t cut it.

We won't get close.

OUT: TBC, Zaharakis, Gleeson, Cahill, Ham, Townsend
In: McKernan, Langford, McKenna, Hibberd, D.Clarke, Phillips

Langford has to play permanently forward. TBC and Zaharakis out for the rest of the season unless we literally cannot field a side.
You can pick either Redman or Gleeson to be dropped, but Redman has more upside. Gleeson to be depth from here.
Needs to happen. Cahill, Ham have had a taste, not quite there. Zakka/TBC cooked. Townsend plodder. Gleeson so out of form & opposition just stop him too easily.

Also, Langford is a FORWARD period. One of the few who can nail a set shot.

Let’s be honest. Zaharakis, Townsend, Ham and even bellchambers won’t be dropped. Yet the club wonders why they’ve become mediocre, no integrity at selection.

Whats really going to bake everyones noodle, is when we win easy next week.

IN:
Hibberd: straight back in, should never have been dropped in the first place. Missed his tackling and strength over the ball.
Langford: returns to the team
McKernan: let's see how he goes alongside Stewart.
McKenna: ? if fit.

OUT:
Ham: You could make a case for some of the forwards. Ham simply didn't do enough on his wing.
TBC: was only in the team to take hit-outs, now he isn't even doing much of that. Has been overtaken with one game from Draper.
Gleeson: makes way for McKenna.
Cahill: hard work last week as a forward.

I could keep going with the outs, but I've run out of players to bring in.

Would like to see Bellch, Zaka, Cahill and Ham out for Smack, Langford, Begley and Clarke

TBC - Love the bloke but last night was one of his worst ever performances. If Draper is to be playing the #1 ruck from now on, McKernan is the better forward so he should be taking the 2nd ruck spot in the team.

Zaka - The half forward role does not work for him, his 3 goal game against the Kangaroos is looking more and more like an aberration against a piss poor opponent than a genuine insight into his capabilities in that part of the ground. If we aren't going to play him on the wing then we shouldn't be playing him. He's just not a small forward, it's painfully obvious to everyone watching the game but the club doesn't see this for some reason.

Cahill/Ham - Nothing really personal but they're green, they're of slight build, Cahill in particular is playing a role that is sort of surplus and they both need to do a few weeks in the scratch matches. Feel sorry for them that the VFL isn't happening because I doubt they're getting the same benefit from playing 10 a side game, but they're definitely not getting LEARNINGS from single digit touches at the top level.

Smack - He's better forward than TBC therefore he should be playing forward at the expense of TBC, very simple selection.

Langford - Pls

Begley - The four small half forwards game plan just does not work. Begley is good enough overhead to add something down the line for us and if he's actually going to make it as an inside midfielder, let alone keep his spot on the list next year, he should be doing rotations in the midfield as well. Begley in at half forward.

Clarke - We really need a midfielder who understands how to play defensively and lay a tackle; only one midfielder last night laid more than five tackles and that was Snelling. Please let Clarke be in this week. He can run, he can chase, he has a big tank, he can cover the ground. God damn please let Clarke be in this week. Wouldn't mind if Hibberd comes in instead, just play the campaigner on ball.

I'd tempted to give Towner the ass after a lean few weeks, but I have no idea who would replace him either with Lav and Stringer still a while away. Might be time for him to start playing for his own goals instead of always contesting packs against much taller opponents. Gleeson and Redman had ugly nights but so did McKenna the week before, what can you do?

Whats really going to bake everyones noodle, is when we win easy next week.
Oh that ain't happening. We rarely ever respond after a bad loss. This was very reminiscent of the Port game last year. Funnily enough, we also scraped past the 18th side the week before.

Ins: Langford, McKenna, Mozzie, D.Clarke, Hibberd, Guelfi
Outs: TBC, Gleeson, Cahill, Ham, Zaka, Townsend

Pretty powerful side is that GWS one and I can't see us getting within 10 goals. Really demoralising looking at trying to bring in players to compete but there is nothing in the well.

Clarke, hibberd, langford, mckernan, mckenna in
Zaka, snelling, townsend, tbc, gleeson out.

Clarke and hibberd may not be guns but we need some defensive mids.
Mckennas brain fades are far less damaging than 4 qtrs of gleeson
Draper can ruck. Seeya belly. Smack as 2nd option/better fwd

Langford can kick on goal.

Ridley BZT Francis
Saad Hurley Mckenna
Merrett Hibberd McGrath
Smith McKernan Langford
Cahill Stewart Tippa
Draper Parish Shiel
Clarke Ham Redman Cutler

Last edited:
Hopefully Draper being in our top few players has convinced us to give a few other kids a go.

Zakka and Gleeson clearly don’t care and are just there for a paycheck. Ham needs a spell. I love Bellch, but he’s past it.

Zakka and Gleeson are the main two though - no team is ever going to win a final playing guys who don’t want to be there.

Just found an interesting stat that there’s 2 players that haven’t played in a losing side this year , ones injured now and the other who seemed to be getting a regular game but seems to be out of favour , give you a hint played first 2 games , 1st game about his average 16 pos then game 2 after the first COVID break and only 5 pos , not great but at 100% but was doing that crappy defensive role again , like ham last night , like Gleeson and a few others have done with low numbers , only difference is they didn’t win , some players make teams better by being in , rutten and cara obviously don’t rate him , I like him playing and watching your bombers win , anyone Guest who the player is , no I’m not mr

In: McKernan, McKenna, Hibberd, Langford
Out: Bellchambers, Redman, Cahill, Zaharakis

B: Saad - Hurley - Francis
HB: Ridley - BZT - McKenna
C: Parish - McGrath - Ham
HF: AMT - Stewart - Smith
F: Langford - McKernan - Townsend
R: Draper - Shiel - Merrett
I: Snelling - Cutler - Gleeson - Hibberd

Langford bank in. McKernan, McKenna and Hibberd should never have been dropped unless they had injury issues.

I don't think Cutler adds much but I'm not big on dropping blokes after one game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just found an interesting stat that there’s 2 players that haven’t played in a losing side this year , ones injured now and the other who seemed to be getting a regular game but seems to be out of favour , give you a hint played first 2 games , 1st game about his average 16 pos then game 2 after the first COVID break and only 5 pos , not great but at 100% but was doing that crappy defensive role again , like ham last night , like Gleeson and a few others have done with low numbers , only difference is they didn’t win , some players make teams better by being in , rutten and cara obviously don’t rate him , I like him playing and watching your bombers win , anyone Guest who the player is , no I’m not mr

Gotta be Guelfi given his family and friends seem to be regularly on here.

You're gonna have to contact Woosh and Truck via the club, they don't read this board.

Guelfi and Heppell?

Gotta be Guelfi given his family and friends seem to be regularly on here.

You're gonna have to contact Woosh and Truck via the club, they don't read this board.
I wish they would read this board , I don’t agree with a lot of stuff in here about just sacking players , for me it’s more about who’s playing and where there playing , eg cahill and Snelling can’t be in the same side as they are both very good crumbing goal kicking types but only room for one especially when you get your talls soughted , if you move him on ball he becomes smelling , gets his numbers up but not great

How is Guelfi not in the line up as a small defender at least. One of our only players who you know is going to have a crack and play a lockdown role.

changes I would make
In Mckernan Mosquito Clarke Guelfi McKenna langford

out Bellchambers Zaharakis Cahill Redman Gleeson Ham (Smith Townsend lucky)

What will happen:

In Langford
Out Draper

Always leave out the promising kids and rewarding out of form veterans

Gleeson BZT Ridley
Tippa Hurley Saad
Langford Shiel Redman
Smith Stewart McKenna
Townsend McKernan Mozzie
Draper Parish McGrath
Snelling Clarke Francis Merrett

Emerg: Begley, Gleeson, Guelfi, Phillips

OUT: Zaka, Cutler, Ham, Cahill,
IN: Langford, McKenna, McKernan, Mozzie, Clarke, TBC

One last chance for Francis

Last edited:
How is Guelfi not in the line up as a small defender at least. One of our only players who you know is going to have a crack and play a lockdown role.

changes I would make
In Mckernan Mosquito Clarke Guelfi McKenna langford

out Bellchambers Zaharakis Cahill Redman Gleeson Ham (Smith Townsend lucky)

What will happen:

In Langford
Out Draper

Always leave out the promising kids and rewarding out of form veterans
..... you mean, there’s an alternative??? 🧐

In the side R9
James Stewart
Jacob Townsend
David Zaharakis
Ned Cahill
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Sam Draper
Tom Bellchambers
Tom Cutler
Dylan Shiel
Darcy Parish
Brayden Ham
Zach Merrett
Andrew McGrath
Will Snelling
Devon Smith
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
Michael Hurley
Jordan Ridley
Aaron Francis
Martin Gleeson
Mason Redman
Adam Saad

Available
Kyle Langford - Suspended in round 9
Shaun McKernan? - Managed in round 9
Conor McKenna? - Managed in round 9
Andrew Phillips – played 3 games, emergency for 4 more
Mitchell Hibberd – played 4 games, emergency for 1 more

Matt Guelfi – played 2 games, emergency for 4 more
Dylan Clarke – played 0 games, emergency for 4 more
Josh Begley – coming back from ACL injury, scratch matches in rounds 4 and 5, emergency in round 6, another scratch in round 7
Noah Gown – coming back from foot injuries, scratch matches in rounds 5-7
Kobe Mutch – coming back from concussion/wrist injuries, scratch matches in rounds 7 and 8
Irving Mosquito – hasn't debuted, not named as emergency
Henry Crauford – hasn't debuted, not named as emergency (Ruck)
Nick Bryan – hasn't debuted, not named as emergency (Ruck)
Cian McBride – hasn't debuted, not named as emergency (Irish)
Ross McQuillan – hasn't debuted, not named as emergency (Irish)

Unavailable
Joe Daniher - Groin/calf, indefinite
Tom Hird - Navicular (foot), indefinite
Lachlan Johnson - ACL, indefinite

Patrick Ambrose - Foot, indefinite
Dyson Heppell - Ankle, indefinite
Jayden Laverde - Syndesmosis, 5-7 weeks
Jake Stringer - Syndesmosis, 2-3 weeks
Orazio Fantasia - Calf, 2-3 weeks
Cale Hooker - Calf, 2 weeks
Harrison Jones - Foot, 1-2 weeks

Acquired 2019 off-season

Our emergencies last week were Phillips, Hibberd, Clarke and Guelfi, so we did not name a forward as emergency. If one of them had been injured we would have ended up with three rucks, a midfielder pushed forward, or Guelfi playing forward. The week before that we didn't name an emergency ruckman, so if Bellchambers went down I guess McKernan would've been thrown in there and Stewart would come into the forward line.

Tends to suggest that the available forwards on our list atm are not close, and looking at them that's Mosquito, Gown, Begley, and potentially the Irishmen. The Irishmen have been playing Aussie rules for like five minutes and are I think playing in defence in scratch matches, Begley is coming off an ACL and playing midfield in the scratch matches, Gown is coming off two consecutive broken bones in his foot and has played 2-3 scratch matches. They do seem to prefer 2-3 scratch matches before naming them as an emergency, so it stands to reason they would not have been available much, or perhaps not in form after a long lay off.

Mozzie has no known excuse though – he was last known to be injured with a serious hamstring last year, but that was healed up before the season was over. Being small probably doesn't help, as it's our talls that have been decimated, but to not even be named as an emergency once yet this year makes me wonder what the deal is.

To be fair I don’t think saad is a great match up for greene, would rather see Ridley or Hurley.
Greene would take Hurley to the cleaners. Ridley possibly, but I think he is too tall/inexperienced for essentially the best small forward in the comp. Saad is easily our best small/medium sized defender and I would trust him to do a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back