Preview Round 10 - Ins & Outs vs Sydney @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 10 - Ins & Outs vs Sydney @ MCG

I love my Hawks just as much as the next man on this board, but watching the weekends game 3 times is crazy. You either have plenty of time on your hands or you seriously need to get a life dude!:)
Not that hard really - twice on sunday & again over last couple of days while working :)

Well named team.

Ellis: Don't let him get too comfortable and keep him on the bench. Doing better, but still needs to improve.

Peterson: Improving week by week. Liking his x-factor.

Skipper: Great to have a second ruckman

Whitecross: Did alright and should keep his place, but still needs to do more. I'm not sold on him as yet, but if he keeps it up and improves by the game I'll jump on board shortly.

Missing should be: Beau Muston, Ryan Schoenmakers & Liam Shiels, but good to see the club is still thinking of them. Would like to see Dowler named on the extended bench soon, just to say the club is still interested. :thumbsu:

As for Murphy, being named on the park, well done!! :thumbsu: Quality game last week by the lad. What you'll find is that the majority of the posters paying out on him are newbies. They like to beat their chest and take the easiest move in the world and pick on Murphy. Makes 'em feel part of the forum. Though the ones having a crack at him this week are clearly idiots.

As for Murphy, being named on the park, well done!! :thumbsu: Quality game last week by the lad. What you'll find is that the majority of the posters paying out on him are newbies. They like to beat their chest and take the easiest move in the world and pick on Murphy. Makes 'em feel part of the forum. Though the ones having a crack at him this week are clearly idiots.

I like it :thumbsu:

Whitecross: Did alright and should keep his place, but still needs to do more. I'm not sold on him as yet, but if he keeps it up and improves by the game I'll jump on board shortly.

He's been good, no doubt about it. But I can't help but think that if Ladson plays anything more than a serviceable game for BHH this week, then he'll be back with Bateman for round 11. Squeezing out Whitecross and, dare I say it, probably Stratton.

Unless something seriously goes wrong this weekend Stratton will be in the side come Round 11. He has been one of the few bright spots in the back line.

Newbie or not, I have been a Hawthorn member for 25 years and only missed a handful of home games during that entire period of time. I have also seen enough of him to be just as qualified as you or anybody else on this board to suggest that he is the 'clanger king'.
Yes last week was his performance was quite admirable, in lieu of the fact that he only made two clangers which did not impact on the scoreboard for a change. As earlier pointed out somewhere, he is not a key position player, so playing on Betts suited him well; and in turn defined his position - a handy 3rd or 4th defender at best!

I hope Buddy plays with the same intensity as he has over the last couple of weeks. He was fired up against richmond, but then last week he really got on his bike....and look what happens.

C'mon hawks, lets get on a roll - 3 in a row!!!!!!!!!!!! Buddy to kick more than 5 for the first time since 2008!

......so playing on Betts suited him well; and in turn defined his position - a handy 3rd or 4th defender at best!

And that is precisely his position - a 3 or 4th defender that shouldn't be played on talls who is a very handy depth player - and IMO is in our best 25-30.

And generally when he plays like this he does quite well.

The problem is when is played out of position on the 1st of 2nd best fwd due to injuries with inexperienced support around him he can become exposed.

Those that criticise him should try to understand this - I don't think anybody at the club thinks he is in our best 22.

Sorry, my 2 cents on Tom Murphy's game last week.

People are looking at Bett's return as an indicator. Betts could easily have had 2-3 goals. Just unlucky on the day.

Murphy gets bumped off the ball way too easy!! He seems almost unco-ordinated.

I also don't like how a couple of times (at least) when an opponent was open and was waiting for a long uncontested mark Murphy ran toward the player, looking at the ball and worrying about the flight of the ball rather than making a contest of it.

Both times he slowed down in his chase and when he got to the player he made a token one handed leap at the ball to no avail whatsoever.

I have seen Guerra many times in the exact situation. He runs at the player, makes slight body contact then turns toward the ball and makes a legitimate attempt or spoil and this is very effective.

I haven't watched the full replay yet so I don't even know if this gets picked up but at the ground it was clear to me and it was very very disappointing.

Buddy would be spewing that Craig Bolton is missing. Possibly the Swans biggest omission...

The same way Gilham would be devastated that Bradshaw is out!

Two very big outs for the Swans & probably 2 of the keys they would have been hoping would get them over the line.

Will be a tough match but we should get up.

Buddy would be spewing that Craig Bolton is missing. Possibly the Swans biggest omission...
Don't disagree (though bradshaw and kennelly are pretty handy) - they have only won one game since he got injured & he is their best defender and AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At a guess Lewis Roberts-Thompson will now get Buddy & the returning Ted Richards will go to Roughy.

Down back for us the return of Jessie White will hurt... He is big & takes a very strong mark - Gilham seems to hate big bodied players & the high ball so this may be an issue. Thankfully though he (White) can be wayward with his set shots.

White is out of form at the moment fortunately although as the main focal point inside 50 (with Bradshaw out) he will probably thrive. As always against Sydney our biggest concern is Goodes. I've never seen a player turn it on against the same team so consistently as Goodes does against us.

Sunday 30​
th May Hawthorn vs Sydney Swans MCG 1:10pm

FIELD UMPIRES:
Michael Vozzo (2) Dean Margetts (6) Robert Findlay (23) EM: Stefan Grun (13)

Umpires will be wearing GREEN :eek:

Clarko is going to go nuts !!!!

Too close to the camoflage jumper we will be wearing.

Sunday 30​

FIELD UMPIRES:

Meh.

At least it doesn't say McLaren or Chamberlain...

Sunday 30​

FIELD UMPIRES:

I reckon they've done this on purpose coz Clarko went off last time. Ridiculous they wear green, unless it's fluro lime green.... morons

Amen. No notoriously pathetic umpires amongst that bunch.

Any game umpired by either McClaren, Chamberlain, McBurnie or Nicholls is usually ruined thanks to ridiculously over the top umpiring.

I went to the under 18 champs last weekend and a comment i made at the time in regards to the umpiring ( just afterwards) was that i barely noticed them out on the field. Now albeit a different level of football- i think the premise remains the same, that good umpiring should in essence go unnoticed. What i have noticed about afl ranks (and i dont know names, and cant associate behaviours with particular umpires) is the need to insert themselves into games. All human beings have egos- and the ego is something that can affect your interpretation of anything... so just as we, as the mass football public, are able to call certain players selfish, or that they need to play more team orientated football- i would say statistically speaking there are at the very least moments where we can fairly comment on umpires in the same manner. :D

Now, having said all that, i also firmly believe that if you focus on the umpiring- good or bad- you're setting yourself up for failure... (that and try complaining to someone with an ego and you only feed that ego)

In the end, just play footy...

I really Murphy plays a great game on Sunday but the fact is he is an emergency at best and believe he will be playing for De La Salle (his school) in the Amateurs next year possibly with Trent Croad.

Who agrees that we look so much better when we move the ball quickly with long kicking and just one or two handballs then bang?

I watched the replay of the Carlton game again yesterday and honestly believe that Franklin's treatment is a disgrace. There were three clear frees he should have been given and at least three that were given against him that were not frees! This makes my blood boil each week. Its like Buddy is singled out as a player who cannot bump and is not allowed to use body contact in a marking contest at all but opposition players are allowed to manhandle him when the ball is coming down including holding his jumper. A mate of mine who is a one eyed Collingwood supporter says that blind freddy can notice it so the question is why? Its just not fair and I reckon every Hawthorn member and supporter should petition to have a proper enquiry with a video montage of every single incident played to the Umpire Commission. I am serious and even the commentators are starting to realise the bias. Believe me I am not just whinging but it is simply obvious to me? Anyone else agree on this as would be interested to know? Cheers..

Not touching the Murphy stuff. I've made my thoughts clear in the past. Let's hope he, like all the Hawks, have a good game and see us to win number 4.

I'm heading down this week and I'm keen to watch us live. Last week was the first time I saw the intensity of rounds 1-3 back, and I want to see that level again. They were everywhere the Hawks. Eade reckons the toughest game this year for his doggies was against us, and I'm tipping that Ratten would say the same. This is the level we need to get too each and every week.

Also, memo to Buddy, you have improved your output since you got back on your bike and stopped wrestling. This is what made you a star in 2008. Keep it up.

Agreed Burnside....as does everyone here that Buddy gets hammered everyweek by 'the umps'........on another matter, where is Chance Bateman ? Does his omission dare I say it mean we have depth (of sorts) ? :footy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back