Preview Round 10 - Ins & Outs vs Sydney @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ted Richards struggles on key forwards, I would expect Reg Grundy to take Franklin, LRT to take Roughead.

This is not relevant but I am so pumped with Stratton. :D Great find Bucky.

HAWTHORN v SYDNEY SWANS
Hawthorn
B:
Brent Guerra, Stephen Gilham, Campbell Brown
HB: Grant Birchall, Ben Stratton, Thomas Murphy
C: Clinton Young, Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis
HF: Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Michael Osborne
F: Shaun Burgoyne, Jarryd Roughead, Rhan Hooper
Foll: Brent Renouf, Luke Hodge, Brad Sewell
I/C: Xavier Ellis, Carl Peterson, Wayde Skipper, Brendan Whitecross
Emg: Beau Muston, Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels

No change

Sydney Swans
B:
Rhyce Shaw, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
HB: Martin Mattner, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
C: Daniel Hannebery, Brett Kirk, Lewis Jetta
HF: Ryan O'Keefe, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Gary Rohan, Henry Playfair, Jarrad McVeigh
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Campbell Heath, Matt O'Dwyer, Mike Pyke, Jesse White
Emg: Paul Bevan, Trent Dennis-Lane, Ted Richards

In: Mumford, O'Dwyer, White
Out: Tadhg Kennelly (knee), Daniel Bradshaw (knee), Paul Bevan

Yep Stratton looks a real find in the back half and just what we need

Burgoyne looks even better than what I first thought and going to be an absolute gun

Peterson looks the exciting ex-factor player and will only improve each game

Gibson will be a very good acquisition in the back half also when he comes back

Hooper has really impressed me and will only get better with more fitness

Skipper will do his bit in the ruck...with Taylor to add depth when he comes back

Imagine a fully fit Burgoyne, Bateman, Rioli, Sewell, Mitchell with Sewell and Hodgey changing in the mid-field before long... awesome...

Young looks better every week along with Ossie..

Gillham starting to return to form

we can only improve and get better from here and fingers crossed no more injuries..

unfortunately made a bet with big mouth Carlton supporter for $1000 in pre-season that Hawthorn will finish top four so blown that one but happy if we make the eight as will do some damage if can get there no doubt...

Who do you guys think will line up on Goodes? Sewell had the job in the past but that was when Goodes was playing midfield? If Goodes starts off at CHF, would someone like Birchall or Murphy run around with him whereever he goes?

You've just articulated the Billy Bowden syndrome.

I went to the under 18 champs last weekend and a comment i made at the time in regards to the umpiring ( just afterwards) was that i barely noticed them out on the field. Now albeit a different level of football- i think the premise remains the same, that good umpiring should in essence go unnoticed. What i have noticed about afl ranks (and i dont know names, and cant associate behaviours with particular umpires) is the need to insert themselves into games. All human beings have egos- and the ego is something that can affect your interpretation of anything... so just as we, as the mass football public, are able to call certain players selfish, or that they need to play more team orientated football- i would say statistically speaking there are at the very least moments where we can fairly comment on umpires in the same manner. :D

Now, having said all that, i also firmly believe that if you focus on the umpiring- good or bad- you're setting yourself up for failure... (that and try complaining to someone with an ego and you only feed that ego)

In the end, just play footy...

Sydney are trying to stretch our backline with Goodes, Playfair and White. Would rather see Schoenmakers in for the extra height, even at the cost of a couple of poor disposals. If they start bombing the ball long and our backline panics we will be forced to put Hodge back.

Newbie or not, I have been a Hawthorn member for 25 years and only missed a handful of home games during that entire period of time. I have also seen enough of him to be just as qualified as you or anybody else on this board to suggest that he is the 'clanger king'.
Yes last week was his performance was quite admirable, in lieu of the fact that he only made two clangers which did not impact on the scoreboard for a change. As earlier pointed out somewhere, he is not a key position player, so playing on Betts suited him well; and in turn defined his position - a handy 3rd or 4th defender at best!

Qualified? He averages the least clangers on any player right now. So massive fail.

It's too easy not noticing the negating a player may do. Just like Judd is regarded as better than Hodge by most observers.

N.B. Most observers don't watch more than a game or two or week, and when they do their most likely drunk and not really paying attention too much of it. They may watch AFL winners and form an opinion based on that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bartos Report will finally return this week... Stay tuned.

Excellent - I'll have a gameday thread up tonight. Hopefully.

I'll put a placeholder post in if you, Nev.

Who do you guys think will line up on Goodes? Sewell had the job in the past but that was when Goodes was playing midfield? If Goodes starts off at CHF, would someone like Birchall or Murphy run around with him whereever he goes?

Can you please edit that bit out? :rolleyes: Some people around here may not survive the game if that happens. Birch would also get absolutely murdered in the air.

But, yes, I'd go with Sewell in the middle and either Stratton or Gilham down back with a chop-out from Browny. Another thought may be Hodge to go with him wherever - could be interesting?

Sorry, my 2 cents on Tom Murphy's game last week.

People are looking at Bett's return as an indicator. Betts could easily have had 2-3 goals. Just unlucky on the day.

Murphy gets bumped off the ball way too easy!! He seems almost unco-ordinated.

I also don't like how a couple of times (at least) when an opponent was open and was waiting for a long uncontested mark Murphy ran toward the player, looking at the ball and worrying about the flight of the ball rather than making a contest of it.

Both times he slowed down in his chase and when he got to the player he made a token one handed leap at the ball to no avail whatsoever.

I have seen Guerra many times in the exact situation. He runs at the player, makes slight body contact then turns toward the ball and makes a legitimate attempt or spoil and this is very effective.

I haven't watched the full replay yet so I don't even know if this gets picked up but at the ground it was clear to me and it was very very disappointing.

I am sick of people dizzing the Smurf. The two occassions he lapsed in the Carlton game simply weren't his fault. He was trying to cover Stratton's man (Henderson) after Stratton got lost. Yet Ben gets the love. Fact is Hawks backline is a bit under-sized and try to run off and that gets exposed sometimes.

Smurf: 60 + games experience
Stratosfear: less than 10

No substitute for experience.

Also sick of people dizzing X-Man. You should watch the games and see how he reads the play. It's amazing how often he is in just the right place. He's better than Lewis at that. Might not get a lot of stats but he knows just where to be.

Can you please edit that bit out? :rolleyes: Some people around here may not survive the game if that happens. Birch would also get absolutely murdered in the air.

But, yes, I'd go with Sewell in the middle and either Stratton or Gilham down back with a chop-out from Browny. Another thought may be Hodge to go with him wherever - could be interesting?

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I SWEAR Birch got his arms above his head for the first time at least once last week!

Changes are afoot at HFC ladies and gents, the future is bright--er...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back