Review Round 12 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the game on TV, to me it felt like Richmond started flooding to stop our offense and tried to play pure counter attack. Hence our goals drying up.

I haven't watched the game but I bet you're right. Hawthorn did it, and it worked for them. Geelong did it, and it worked for them. Richmond had to do it after that second quarter but couldn't generate enough scoring for it to work for them.

He says that because for 95% of the game you don’t have the ball in your hands, and for 50% of it you are playing defence. If you are having a crap day and you defend well it’s a hell of a lot better than otherwise.

It’s equivalent to, “get the fundamentals right and the rest will come”. Defense IS the most important aspect of our game, and in fact most sports, because it’s something that doesn’t rely nearly as much on luck as scoring does.

We actually play very aggressive when we have the ball, and particularly at centre bounces.

I mean honestly do people want us to start playing like Melbourne or Essendon or something? Teams that rely purely on winning the ball more than their opponent and attacking, also teams that have achieved nothing.

Geelong have been one of the most defensive teams in the competition for the last 10 years, same for Hawthorn and Sydney. Geelong are also extremely aggressive when they have the ball unlike Hawthorn and Sydney.

That is clearly the gameplan we are trying to replicate. Defensive without the ball, aggressive with the ball, which is why our opponents flood the crap out of the middle of the ground against us.
I don't have any problem with defence being the most important part of the game, though sometimes attack seems to be the best form of defence, to be cliche man again

However, notwithstanding the excellent defence structure and operation against Richmond, these super negative coaches seem to show little understanding of forward play.

Wouldn't you like to see more goals from leading forwards, as one simple example?

Again, I'm going to say that no coach, in ANY sport, would instruct their players to hold up the play when there is an opportunity to attack quickly.

It's like the the entire Port Adelaide AFL era hasn't happened, bar about half a dozen seasons.

Sent from mTalk

Seriously think one of the reasons we played slow was because the umpires stopped paying holding the ball?
I've heard it all now.

I don't have any problem with defence being the most important part of the game, though sometimes attack seems to be the best form of defence, to be cliche man again

However, notwithstanding the excellent defence structure and operation against Richmond, these super negative coaches seem to show little understanding of forward play.

Wouldn't you like to see more goals from leading forwards, as one simple example?
We kicked 1.7 in the second half ..
Would have been nice if a few of those points were goals .. but not to be ..

Seriously think one of the reasons we played slow was because the umpires stopped paying holding the ball?
I've heard it all now.

Maybe open up your ears and actually listen, because the point was that when you aren’t rewarded for tackles it allows the opposition to drive the ball deeper into your defensive 50.

Even though we got shut down in the second half from a scoreboard perspective, we had plenty of opportunities to score goals, just didn't convert them. In the 2nd quarter when everything was clicking, the main thing was that we were kicking it right through the big sticks. Just off the top of my head in the 2nd half there was easy shots missed from Robbie, Dixon, Ryder and Rockliff.

Our poor kicking (and subsequent poor kicking for goal) is really separating us from the best sides. Our effort for the most part is rarely questioned, but we make it look so bloody difficult to kick a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though we got shut down in the second half from a scoreboard perspective, we had plenty of opportunities to score goals, just didn't convert them. In the 2nd quarter when everything was clicking, the main thing was that we were kicking it right through the big sticks. Just off the top of my head in the 2nd half there was easy shots missed from Robbie, Dixon, Ryder and Rockliff.

Our poor kicking (and subsequent poor kicking for goal) is really separating us from the best sides. Our effort for the most part is rarely questioned, but we make it look so bloody difficult to kick a goal.
I just hope that one day we'll go bang and remember how to kick goals quickly and accurately.

I'm a little concerned with the congestion that we allow to form in our forward line. Our forwards just don't move around enough and far too often play from behind.

I just hope that one day we'll go bang and remember how to kick goals quickly and accurately.

I'm a little concerned with the congestion that we allow to form in our forward line. Our forwards just don't move around enough and far too often play from behind.

Some of it stems from playing the "front half footy" style in which the entire 50 just gets flooded, making it very difficult to penetrate effectively. That being said, a lot of our inside 50 setups are horrific. When Lade mentioned the "double threat" move early this year as a prime ingredient of the forward line, it was obvious that we were going to be dreadful in this area. A game style that relies on your forwards getting in behind the defense to walk the ball in is a recipe for disaster. I also can't stand it when they try to get cute lining up for a set shot 55 out and then chip it to a target around 30 metres out. For starters the kick is too shallow, and some of the targets have been the Grays. I get that Robbie Gray is a good mark for his size, but when the game is congested, you need to be targeting taller targets who can bring the smalls like Robbie further into the game.

A competent forward line structure is in dire need.

we are still a very sloppy team and that is partly because of the contested style we are employing but also because of bad skills, i dont mind it to be honest because that is generally how finals are played but we still seem to butcher the ball by foot into the forwards 50 and that is highlighted by how many entries we get but dont convert as much as we should, you get the feeling against the best teams it will come back to bite you

A game style that relies on your forwards getting in behind the defense to walk the ball in is a recipe for disaster. I also can't stand it when they try to get cute lining up for a set shot 55 out and then chip it to a target around 30 metres out. For starters the kick is too shallow, and some of the targets have been the Grays. I get that Robbie Gray is a good mark for his size, but when the game is congested, you need to be targeting taller targets who can bring the smalls like Robbie further into the game.

Watched some again last night and at least twice in the third q we went to Neade v Rance and 1 or 2 others, in the pocket.

Port Adelaide (72) v Richmond (58)

No MCG, no Richmond. At least that’s what the lazy AFL commentators will say, of which I am one.

Richmond learnt that Dusty’s best position isn’t in New Zealand and have already whisked him back.

The Power proved all the doubters, so everyone, wrong in this one. They played the way you think they should be able to but often don’t.

All it took was a burst in the second quarter for Port, when they kicked seven goals to Richmond’s two to secure the victory.

It was a strange quarter, as the game seemed to be very tight if anything Richmond played better for the rest of the game, but Ollie Wines went nuts with 13 possessions and Justin Westhoff had one of his games that makes you think ‘hey this guy is really good’.

The Tigers then worked hard to get back into it, but like someone who ate too much bread before a big meal, they couldn’t come back from their earlier tactical missteps.

https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/tuesday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-twelve-0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back