Game Day Round 13, Essendon vs GWS Giants, Sun 19th June, 4.40pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope you go on to win the flag this year.

That was an entertaining game, pity about the piss poor crowd and I suppose my view is coloured by how many floggings we've got this year, but it was a good hard fought game and I was glad to see that.
You'll beat the Lions. :(

That was the 2nd game I've seen at Etihad, I saw us beat Carlton there last year - I reckon our support behind the goals this year was easily twice as much as what was there last year for the Carlton game - and we made plenty of noise!

It wasn't the thrashing I was hoping for, but we found a way to stay in touch when the bombers were playing better footy for most of the day, and in the end, still managed a 4+ goal win, so you gotta take that.

Youre right. Really you are.

There were plenty not given to Giants when in scoring positions and also when trying to stop bomber goals.

Thanks for pointing it out. Umps were woeful and wearing black and red

Except for about 3 high tackles on Essendon in the last quarter which were not paid. I was surprised to see such an imbalance in free kicks. I watched the whole match and thought the numbers were similar, however the umpires missed numerous free's to both sides.

GWS saw a few frees in front of goal including a couple which were clearly not there.

All that said, was a close game and about all us Bomber faithful can rest our hats on at the moment.

Except for about 3 high tackles on Essendon in the last quarter which were not paid. I was surprised to see such an imbalance in free kicks. I watched the whole match and thought the numbers were similar, however the umpires missed numerous free's to both sides.

GWS saw a few frees in front of goal including a couple which were clearly not there.

All that said, was a close game and about all us Bomber faithful can rest our hats on at the moment.
They were just trying to even things up so they werent seen as blatant. Like the Geelong game.

Seen the essendon board? Has there ever been so many pissed off when the free kick count is so heavily in their favour? What campaigners.

It's because there were about 3 decisions late which you could argued changed the flavour of the game entirely. If a couple of those obviously high free's were paid to Essendon and the Tippa one, which wasn't there, was never paid then that brings a goal back from GWS and it's pretty much game on in to the final minutes.

All that said, you make your own luck and in a game of 120 minutes it's pretty crappy to hang on a couple decisions.

With such a big discrepancy I'd love it if I had time to run through the whole game and weigh where the free's were paid and which ones, for both sides, were contentious. But, it's last week's game now.... :p

They were just trying to even things up so they werent seen as blatant. Like the Geelong game.

There were a number around the middle of the ground that the umpires paid to Essendon that just were not there. Makes it then difficult to pay a few high ones inside 50 that were.

Conversely, a few to GWS that you could question inside 50. And, as you said, maybe because they've already paid a bunch of nothing free's the other way.

I really dislike that there's 3 umpires running around as each umpire will, naturally, interpret the rules marginally differently on the day.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have predicted the discrepancy and was surprised when I dug up the stats during the game. I didn't feel that there was systematic over-blowing of the whistle one way or the other, except the much mentioned (by me, anyway) "holding the man" free kicks. The letting go of high tackles was just disappointing, and it seems to be across the board on the weekend - probably as a reaction to people complaining about players forcing high contact.

I'd love it if I had time to run through the whole game and weigh where the free's were paid and which ones, for both sides, were contentious. But, it's last week's game now.... :p

Probably of greater benefit in hindsight to run through both teams inaccuracy in front of goal, rather than worry about free kick counts.

Giants inaccuracy in the first quarter let the Bombers into the game, Bombers inaccuracy after 1/4 time allowed the Giants back in!

Close to being a few smashed tvs from sundays game? Display was very reminiscent of the first few seasons and I agree we were lucky that the opposition was so undermanned and unable to fully exploit the turnovers and defensive vulnerability
The ruck contest was even except for contested marks and 4 goals (Jamar with an OOTF as well?) to the Essendon rucks, which for Downies first game of the season and the experience gulf between them
The good
Cogs continuing his good form
Greene sharpness around goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably of greater benefit in hindsight to run through both teams inaccuracy in front of goal, rather than worry about free kick counts.

Giants inaccuracy in the first quarter let the Bombers into the game, Bombers inaccuracy after 1/4 time allowed the Giants back in!

SPOT ON! You blokes could have buried the game in the first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back