Preview Round 13: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Blundstone Arena | Sunday, 13 June @ 15:20

Remove this Banner Ad

DunderHead

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Xerri in for Cambell this week. Much more mobile at ground level and suited to wet weather.

Taz hasn’t played at all this season. He will need support down back and rests. I reckon Walker will need to play down back at least at stages.

Caracas

Premium Gold
Apr 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Kildare
Robbie coming back in is the best news we’ve received all year. It doesn’t mean we’re going to win. We could get flogged, as he settles back in. However, it bolsters the team to a massive degree. It feels like we’re fielding a “proper” team for the first time this year. The selection panel can focus on working out the best mix up forward, happy in the knowledge that the defensive side of things is fairly sorted. We still have a stack of injuries. However, the replacements are perfectly viable - which is the way it always should be.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Merlin007

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Noble has shown he values minimal changes while the game plan develops (and provided people are playing to instruction), so with two "ins" back from injury, I'm guessing there won't be any other changes - if that's right, Taylor will miss, with a bench of Campbell, Mahony, Powell and Scott; Phillips the medical sub

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Campbell was playing over Xerri because his forward craft/ leading patterns are superior, and X was unable to play any forward minutes at VFL level. I reckon Walker forward changes that role's emphasis to more of a relief ruck, which would probably see X given the nod.

Otherwise, I reckon the bench will be Powell, Scott, and Mahoney/Taylor, with the other of those 2 sub.

Nutjob

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You do know we rarely go with 2 rucks in our last decade

Only the last few weeks since the cupboard has been bare

players coming back will see campbell demoted again

as Walker resumes his chf and ruck pinch hit role with Taz back
What we did 10 years ago is irrelevant. We have a coach in his first year and what we did under previous coaches holds no weight on how we setup now.

Were you aware Noble comes from a club that liked to play 2 ruckman more often than not? I would think that holds more weight than what Brad Scott did in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DERRINALPHIL

Club Legend
Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, Mercantile C
how many of those games has walker spent in the ruck?
Walker has played reasonable well for the Lions as a second ruck. He ain't a forward and has been failing as a forward for five years. Naming him at CHF and with Larkey at FF I have no confidence that we can score. I'm off the Larkey bandwagon

Campbell has played quite well and it would be unfair to see him dropped.

If it is wet Campbell goes and we go small,

Devington

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Walker has played reasonable well for the Lions as a second ruck. He ain't a forward and has been failing as a forward for five years. Naming him at CHF and with Larkey at FF I have no confidence that we can score. I'm off the Larkey bandwagon

Campbell has played quite well and it would be unfair to see him dropped.

If it is wet Campbell goes and we go small,
It's really odd that we have avoided using Walker as the relief ruck. He's far from awful at it and has done it successfully at Brisbane, but mostly Geelong. For some reason though they almost never try him there. Only 5 of his 270 hitouts have been during his 2 years here. He's even spoken about his ability to play in there, and willingness to do anything for the team. When he was forward but we had Larkey taking them my brain almost imploded.

Kangaroo Cat

All Australian
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's really odd that we have avoided using Walker as the relief ruck. He's far from awful at it and has done it successfully at Brisbane, but mostly Geelong. For some reason though they almost never try him there. Only 5 of his 270 hitouts have been during his 2 years here. He's even spoken about his ability to play in there, and willingness to do anything for the team. When he was forward but we had Larkey taking them my brain almost imploded.
That's fair but I don't mind them at least having a look to see if larkey could add that to his skills - the timing was strange but its that sort of season. If they keep persisting with that model after seeing it fail I'd be pretty sad for souva

Devington

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's fair but I don't mind them at least having a look to see if larkey could add that to his skills - the timing was strange but its that sort of season. If they keep persisting with that model after seeing it fail I'd be pretty sad for souva
Yep, timing was awful. He was one out in the forward line trying to establish himself there but for a few minutes every game he was forced up into the ruck. I'm a big fan of fostering versatility in players, but in this case it was just a bad call.

Kangaroo Cat

All Australian
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, timing was awful. He was one out in the forward line trying to establish himself there but for a few minutes every game he was forced up into the ruck. I'm a big fan of fostering versatility in players, but in this case it was just a bad call.
Especially after last year

Remove this Banner Ad