Preview Round 14, 2023: Richmond v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 17th June, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Tigers

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 79.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I don't see a round 14 preview around for some reason, so I'll get it going - if there is one, please delete this.

I've never done one of these, but never mind, I'm sure it'll be fine.

So
Tigers, eh?
The Battle For The Heart Of Mini McQualter

The Ongoing Grudge Match For The Infamous Trade Swap Of Ian Stewart And Billy Barrot

The Mighty Egyptian Tricolour Versus The Mustard Gash.

When they're up, we're down, when we're up, they're down. We're rising slowly. They're sinking slowly. They're day is done. Our window is starting to creak open.

But,
But But But
St Kilda is the team who loves to tease. We haven't had back to back wins since Rd 4. Can we get back?

On paper, this is a Saints win. Why? Cos the Tigers are roaring no more. They've been suddenly thrown out of Dimma's limo and now are standing by the highway, rubbing their eyes. Head-On Year Of Exploration. Ouch.

I'm in this for the couples play. Owens and Windy, Po and Hammer, Higgins and King, Wilkie and Battle, Nas and Hill, Stocker and Wood, Steele and Crouch. Partnerships aplenty.

I'm in this for consolidation. King is going to kick a bag one of these days. 3's and 4's are just a regular day at the office for our Joe Satriani doppelganger. He's just riffing. Wait til he starts his guitar solo. Call me crazy, but I'm convinced Byrnes is going find another level this season, he's building very nicely. And everyone's so hot on Michito they done forgot all about Marcus.

Maybe we'll see Windy on Dusty, and it'll be sunny smiles for all at Moorabbin as our Metal-named #17 blows the dust away with the storm he can create.

But mostly, I'm in this for the joy of watching young Saints players find their feet, find their voice, and learn how to win together, learning how to crush different oppositions inside the Lyon Cage.

Next stop: the protege - Mini McQualter, Ross's secret weapon as a player, Dimma's secret weapon as a coach...

...but will it be a case of taking a knife to a gun fight?

Hopefully, Lenny is off his sofa and has put away the Chocolate Royals and is back in the box to take on his old teammate at the MCG, just as it should be.

Box office Saturday night viewing. The Saints to announce to the AFL world that THIS year is gonna be different, and THIS year we are not going to crumble.

Saints by 35.

Last edited:
Can't believe Richmond are favourites with the bookies. Saints players should have a point to prove.

We match up well on them and their game style of surging the ball forward will suit our rebounding approach- as long as we can meet them at the coal face- win the contested possession count, win the game.

Saints by 28
Max King to kick 4

Watching the channel seven coverage of the Saints/Swans game the other night, at one point the Swans received a free kick on the back flank, but the Saints were so well set up that the Swans had to go sideways, and then back, and then sideways again until eventually there was a turnover. One of the commentators made a remark (I think it was the punch-drunk sounding Phil Davis) that the teams that have troubled us this year have tried to go through, rather than around, our defensive zone, and I think this (while oversimplified) actually sums it up pretty well. We've struggled when teams move the ball quickly, the zoning falling apart or not having enough time to set up properly, resulting in some of our players in no man's land.

While the Tiges haven't been going great guns, they've been in most of their games, had a few close losses. They still have great players all over the ground, and as we know, you only have to be a bit off on any given day to get beaten by anyone. I think Richmond's surge the ball forward at all costs gamestyle will suit playing the Saints, so I don't see this game as the gimme some might suggest. However their midfield, like ours, looks a bit one paced with the likes of Pickett, Prestia and Taranto, and seems to lack some real breakaway power with the exception of Bolton, so hopefully we'll be able to structure up and strangle any fast ball movement coming through the guts.

Will be a very different game on the wide open spaces of the MCG to what was witnessed in Sydney.

Did someone say Max King? 🤩

Agree the teams which have done well against us have been bold with the ball going through our zone.

Those teams though have done so more in the vein of the 2009 cats than the surge style the tigers exhibit.

I.e. take the game on with handball and precision kicking.

Tigers for mine, turn over the footy too often for their style to be successful against us.

I see the game being more like our game against North. They'll battle but won't be good enough.

I don't see a round 14 preview around for some reason, so I'll get it going - if there is one, please delete this.

So
Tigers, eh?

The Ongoing Grudge Match For The Infamous Trade Swap Of Ian Stewart And Billy Barrot

When they're up, we're down, when we're up, they're down. We're rising slowly. They're sinking slowly. They're day is done. Our window is starting to creak open.

But,
But But But
St Kilda is the team who loves to tease. We haven't had back to back wins since Rd 4. Can we get back?

On paper, this is a Saints win. Why? Cos the Tigers are roaring no more. They've been suddenly thrown out of Dimma's limo and now are standing by the highway, rubbing their eyes. Head-On Year Of Exploration. Ouch.

I'm in this for the couples play. Owens and Windy, Po and Hammer, Higgins and King, Wilkie and Battle, Nas and Hill, Stocker and Wood, Steele and Crouch. Partnerships aplenty.

I'm in this for consolidation. King is going to kick a bag one of these days. 3's and 4's are just a regular day at the office for our Joe Satriani doppelganger. He's just riffing. Wait til he starts his guitar solo. Call me crazy, but I'm convinced Byrnes is going find another level this season, he's building very nicely. And everyone's so hot on Michito they done forgot all about Marcus.

Maybe we'll see Windy on Dusty, and it'll be sunny smiles for all at Moorabbin as our Metal-named #17 blows the dust away with the storm he can create.

But mostly, I'm in this for the joy of watching young Saints players find their feet, find their voice, and learn how to win together, learning how to crush different oppositions inside the Lyon Cage.

Next stop: the protege - Mini McQualter, Ross's secret weapon as a player, Dimma's secret weapon as a coach...

Hopefully, Lenny is off his sofa and has put away the Chocolate Royals and is back in the box to take on his old teammate at the MCG, just as it should be.

Box office Saturday night viewing. The Saints to announce to the AFL world that THIS year is gonna be different, and THIS year we are not going to crumble.

Saints by 35.

You can start these threads more often imo. Quality.

So
Tigers, eh?

But,
But But But

Saints by 35.
Great write up mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taranto has been very effective for Richmond and is one of the top clearance players in the comp, so work needs to be put into him. The Tigers might be stretched a bit with King deep in the forward half, plus maybe Caminiti or Sharman contesting marks in the forward half. I presume Butler will get off the ludicrous 1 week penalty at appeal. We need to start kicking bigger scores at some stage, and need all the forwards firing as a unit.

Richmond coming back from Perth

Saints have an extra 2 days break

We are 5th ..... Tigers are 13th

Tigers are favorites at $1.70 ..... Saints are paying $2.15

o_O
Just the way I like it.

Membrey must have played a bit better in the last qtr but he was fairly average for the most part of the game that I watched yesterday.

Was his form in the last qtr enough to get him back into the side.

Caminiti has been a great story but really looking like he's starting to struggle. One thing he does bring is intensity, effort and pressure though. His tackle count is great for a big man.

Besides that I doubt we look at any other changes.

Membrey must have played a bit better in the last qtr but he was fairly average for the most part of the game that I watched yesterday.

Was his form in the last qtr enough to get him back into the side.

Caminiti has been a great story but really looking like he's starting to struggle. One thing he does bring is intensity, effort and pressure though. His tackle count is great for a big man.

Besides that I doubt we look at any other changes.

Caminiti did some great pressure acts up the field. I think he brings something completely different to the side than Membrey. It looked like our kicking inside 50 that hurt us not conversion or forward craft. Can't see members getting back in.

Defensively I reckon we match up fairly well (with no Lynch) - Doogs to Samson Ryan, Battle to Riewoldt and Wilkie free to float around and play on Dusty when he is forward.

We don't really have a match up for Bolton forward (Webster will get it by default unless Windy or someone follows him from the midfield) and that's a bit of a worry however Bolton definitely isn't in peak form this year. I think we can weather that.

I really rate their defensive topliners - Grimes, Balta, Broad & Vlasutin and I think that will be a challenge for us.

I hope Butler avoids suspension both for our structure and the good of the game; if he misses I'm quite nonplussed by all replacement options; might even give Leo a run at that HF defensive role, let him use his pace to chase and harass.

Only other change I wouldn't mind is Sharman for Hammer; I would like to see what Sharman can do in the same role but getting ~75 - 80ish % game time the way Hammer has. Membrey the sub.

Hard to pick a winner tbh.

So
Tigers, eh?

But,
But But But

Saints by 35.
Cheers mate! And a great write up too. Can do these all year if you want haha

Can’t wait to see us back on the G. Reckon it will bring back our best ball movement from earlier in the year. Tiges have good players and can’t be taken lightly but I’m excited for this one

Only changes I'd consider is maybe Sharman for Caminti, we looked a lot better with him yesterday in the last quarter but I can't fault 7 tackles from Hammer either. Tough one. Membrey could also be considered.

If Butler is out I don't know what we do - do we bring in Peris for a debut? Play two of Caminiti/Sharman/Membrey? Gresham forward more and a mid in (Bytel?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back