Autopsy Round 15 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't find the full presser anywhere. That link is just a snippet. But it's enough to make your blood boil...

“Our conversion tonight was our biggest issue… that’s the thing stopping us making that next step…. For us it’s nothing more than conversion. Most of our other parts of our game are done pretty well. But it’s conversion. It’s finishing inside fifty. That’s what separates ya. Big moments. Kick the goals you need to kick… Hit the kicks you need to hit going forward inside fifty.”

KICKS DA FOOTIES STRAIGHT AND PORTS POWAZ PREMIERS 2017 FARKEN!!!

Listened to that on the long drive home.

Mind went numb.

Late Monday night have finally raised the wherewithal to get on FigBooty.

That awkward moment when you have 3 medium forwards/midfielders - White, Impey & Neade - who wouldnt get a game with any other team in the competition!
Afraid so.

After last week I accepted that I was wrong and that White could run fast and kick accurately. Nope, though he has probably been infected by now with Ken's fear.

Neade. Fancy having someone in the team purely as a defensive forward. Ken has destroyed Jake, changing him from an inventive deliverer and goal kicker who nowadays only has one thought in his mind - defend. Must be boring as all hell for Jake.

Impey. Has weapons. Could be useful. Doesn't seem to care. Does he even think proactively about improving his skills and composure?

How bored and repressed must these players be with timid Ken's defensive mindset.

ffec884dbc50601884333a0c3b66cab9.jpg

Cringe/10. Also had that nova announcer guy making reference to it at the ground. It's been 3 years ffs.

Have they put Power Pete on the payroll?

Can't find the full presser anywhere. That link is just a snippet. But it's enough to make your blood boil...

“Our conversion tonight was our biggest issue… that’s the thing stopping us making that next step…. For us it’s nothing more than conversion. Most of our other parts of our game are done pretty well. But it’s conversion. It’s finishing inside fifty. That’s what separates ya. Big moments. Kick the goals you need to kick… Hit the kicks you need to hit going forward inside fifty.”

KICKS DA FOOTIES STRAIGHT AND PORTS POWAZ PREMIERS 2017 FARKEN!!!

I see nothing wrong with that comment. Structural issues aside, its our inability to kick easy goals that we should kick which causes us losing games we shouldnt more often than not. Bringing in Eddy whos kicked a shitload of points in the SANFL isn't going to fix our goalkicking.

I see nothing wrong with that comment. Structural issues aside, its our inability to kick easy goals that we should kick which causes us losing games we shouldnt more often than not. Bringing in Eddy whos kicked a shitload of points in the SANFL isn't going to fix our goalkicking.

Really? Wow............

Eddy may or may not be the answer, he might even just be a part of the answer but one things for certain, Eddy is a forward who thinks like a forward, acts like a forward, reacts like a forward and generally kicks like a forward too.

That puts him easily in front of Trengove, Neade, S Gray and Impey to start with and that's good enough for me at this point in time.

Eddy is a lot better kick than any of the 4 guys I just mentioned to begin with.

Most of our forward line needs trashing. It's a forward line with next to zero forward nous and skill but supposedly good at pressure acts that don't really result in anything other than a statistic.

Got to start somewhere and he's as good a place to start as any.

That's the $64,000 question: what is gonna fix our goalkicking?
Can't see serial chokers converting lay down miseres any time soon.
The only immediate short-term solutions I can envisage are for Ken to:

1. Have an awesome trick up his sleeve.
2. Pull a rabbit out of a hat.
3. Find a magic wand.

Solution #3 is my preferred option coz it would look awesome under lights when he zaps Matty White running into an open goal or Robbie Gray taking a set-shot right in front...

Really? Wow............

Eddy may or may not be the answer, he might even just be a part of the answer but one things for certain, Eddy is a forward who thinks like a forward, acts like a forward, reacts like a forward and generally kicks like a forward too.

That puts him easily in front of Trengove, Neade, S Gray and Impey to start with and that's good enough for me at this point in time.

Eddy is a lot better kick than any of the 4 guys I just mentioned to begin with.

Most of our forward line needs trashing. It's a forward line with next to zero forward nous and skill but supposedly good at pressure acts that don't really result in anything other than a statistic.

Got to start somewhere and he's as good a place to start as any.

Eddy may be good for 10-15 goals for the rest of the year at AFL level, which would be nice. But, there has been numerous games this year, and in the pre season, and in the AFL, where he's kicked 2.4, or 3.4 for example.

Also, bringing in Eddy isn't going to fix Robbie's career long inability to slot set shots, nor is it going to fix Matty White screwing 3 easy set shots at goal, nor is it going to fix Sam Spray's shots at goal, nor Impeys inability to snap.

Our s**t goalkicking has been squad wide, even when we had a great forward structure through 2014 & 15.

So for that reason, I agree with Ken. Our inability to convert is our main issue and has been our main issue for 4 years. As we know, it cost us games and top 4 in 2014. It also cost us a grand final spot in 2014. It cost us a finals berth in 2015. Its cost us 2 games so far this year already.

Matty White kicks those goals, Sam Gray kicks those goals, Robbie Gray kicks those goals, we're 40 points up in the 2nd quarter, win the game and are bullish towards winning in Perth this week.

If, if, if...

Enjoyed reading Marvel's "What if... ?" comics as a kid.

But speculative fiction about what "could've been" for recent Port would do my head in...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddy may be good for 10-15 goals for the rest of the year at AFL level, which would be nice. But, there has been numerous games this year, and in the pre season, and in the AFL, where he's kicked 2.4, or 3.4 for example.

Also, bringing in Eddy isn't going to fix Robbie's career long inability to slot set shots, nor is it going to fix Matty White screwing 3 easy set shots at goal, nor is it going to fix Sam Spray's shots at goal, nor Impeys inability to snap.

Our s**t goalkicking has been squad wide, even when we had a great forward structure through 2014 & 15.

So for that reason, I agree with Ken. Our inability to convert is our main issue and has been our main issue for 4 years. As we know, it cost us games and top 4 in 2014. It also cost us a grand final spot in 2014. It cost us a finals berth in 2015. Its cost us 2 games so far this year already.

Matty White kicks those goals, Sam Gray kicks those goals, Robbie Gray kicks those goals, we're 40 points up in the 2nd quarter, win the game and are bullish towards winning in Perth this week.
I'd be more than happy with a forward kicking 3.4 week in , week out.

It's so weird. If it was one guy like Butcher or Casboult you wanted to fix it's relatively straightforward you would think. But we have mass hysteria. There are serial offenders like Sam Gray (I just don't expect him to ever nail a set shot) or Jakey Neade who won't even try from outside 30m. Justin Westhoff who nowadays has a pathological mistrust of the forward 50 and won't even enter it. He's like a vampire trying to get into a church.

Robbie Gray has always been questionable on the simple set shot, Charlie Dixon can occasionally completely forget the neural pathway between his brain and his foot (or the shot clock). Lately Ollie Wines seems to have been infected, I always thought he was a reliable kick for goal. Matt White missed three sitters on the weekend and he has a laser-like foot in general field play and kicking on the run. Chad Wingard's radar has gone wonky.

It's a lot to expect to work with every one of them individually and work out a routine. Is it just some form of general principle they need to apply? In some cases I get kicking could be affected due to fatigue, but we were missing them from the opening bounce on Saturday night. And this season apart from the Sydney game, the generally bad goalkicking has happened in games where there has been some perceived internal pressure to succeed.

I see the bigger goal posts at Alberton are doing their job. :drunk:

I'm usually on the same page as Macca 19, but I can't agree with his opinion on Eddy.

I suspect like a number of other fringe players he knows that it's one bad game, or in his case probably one bad qtr, and it's on your bike back to the Maggies, and that scenario has to effect any player's confidence.

He is one of the few players, (Howard is obviously another) vying for a key forward spot who could take a mark on or outside the forward 50 and be a chance to slot it, while given the same set of circumstances it's highly likely that Jacko wouldn't even make the distance.

The goals that Jacko scored earlier in the season came from scraps, ie boundary throw ins, or miss kicks from defenders, I can't recall many, if any, from actual forward craft, and now he has become so defensive he isn't even scoring them.

Regardless of how many easy shots were missed on Saturday night, a forward set up with two of the so called 6 forwards playing ultra defensive roles was a joke, but the only people laughing are oppo supporters. :(

I watched the Collingwood game with two other Port supporters and another who supports Carlton.

He couldn't believe how low out confidence was in our players nailing set shots. The thing was, we were predicting them correctly most of the time.

I agree we need to clean our kicking up but we've only had more scoring shots in losses twice this year: WCE (+5) and Richmond (+2).
Opposed to Crows (-2), Giants (-6), Cats (-2), Bombers (-15).

The bigger problem is still getting the ball inside 50, then converting those to a score at all.

We are averaging 65 i50s in wins but 57 in losses (-8), and our inside 50 efficiency (covert to score) drops from 50% to 43%. So both the quantity and quality of our inside 50s are dropping in losses.

No doubt our goalkicking is woeful but on Friday night Sydney were 1.11 to Melbourne 4.0 in the second quarter but they kept going for 4 quarters and when Melbourne made a run at them in the 3rd quarter their leaders stood up !
Our biggest issue is lack of leadership and resistance once a team steps up a gear we just stop , it is all too predictable week after week, year after year.
Unfortunately the next home game will be the lowest crowd for a very long time.

No doubt our goalkicking is woeful but on Friday night Sydney were 1.11 to Melbourne 4.0 in the second quarter but they kept going for 4 quarters and when Melbourne made a run at them in the 3rd quarter their leaders stood up !
Our biggest issue is lack of leadership and resistance once a team steps up a gear we just stop , it is all too predictable week after week, year after year.
Unfortunately the next home game will be the lowest crowd for a very long time.

Almost agree - I wouldn't say we stop but that we are completely unable to step up with them.

In all games bar the Essendon game (and maybe 2 other quarters) we've been cruising relatively well in 3rd gear. Enough to roll over the weak sides. However all the best sides can switch into 4th gear, even if only for patches, and we simply have never hit 4th gear this year, or probably last year either.

It's so weird. If it was one guy like Butcher or Casboult you wanted to fix it's relatively straightforward you would think. But we have mass hysteria. There are serial offenders like Sam Gray (I just don't expect him to ever nail a set shot) or Jakey Neade who won't even try from outside 30m. Justin Westhoff who nowadays has a pathological mistrust of the forward 50 and won't even enter it. He's like a vampire trying to get into a church.

Robbie Gray has always been questionable on the simple set shot, Charlie Dixon can occasionally completely forget the neural pathway between his brain and his foot (or the shot clock). Lately Ollie Wines seems to have been infected, I always thought he was a reliable kick for goal. Matt White missed three sitters on the weekend and he has a laser-like foot in general field play and kicking on the run. Chad Wingard's radar has gone wonky.

It's a lot to expect to work with every one of them individually and work out a routine. Is it just some form of general principle they need to apply? In some cases I get kicking could be affected due to fatigue, but we were missing them from the opening bounce on Saturday night. And this season apart from the Sydney game, the generally bad goalkicking has happened in games where there has been some perceived internal pressure to succeed.
Yeah that's it:generally bad goalkicking has happened in games where there has been some perceived internal pressure to succeed. Players seem to be rushing things and I found it quit interesting when I saw the replay of the Richmond game when Voss said at one the breaks (1/4 time, Half time?) words to the effect that we have to do things "quicker".

The players look to have the weight of the world on their shoulders when they are kicking for goal and most alarmingly, some don't even want to be the ones having a shot at goal! Who ever heard of such a thing? A player not wanting to kick for goal!

They seem not to be in love with the ball, with kicking goals and they are just so nervous and uptight. Just f****ng relax! It's the easy part of footy!! Maybe one of our players should stand behind the goal in direct line with the player kicking for goal with his hands up in the air. It gives the shot taker something to aim at. They used to do that once upon a time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back