Preview Round 17, 2021 vs Melbourne @ Adelaide Oval 09/07/21

Remove this Banner Ad

* yeah prime time.

Have a real soft spot for you guys, road tripped to the Port v Dees game at AO in 2016 and had a blast. (Admittedly we won)

In:
Butters
Duursma
Fantasia
Clurey

bea8ef2bf888b8cd0d957cf33168c2a1.gif

The fixturing the AFL does on these things can be so detrimental to clubs.

We win this week we're 11-4 in 4th playing 1st, in a season defining game. Pop that on a Friday night pre-COVID and you get a sellout. There's no doubt that the club will get far less people and make far less money with the game being on a Thursday. Of course it is good for ratings and probably our sponsors, but our bottom line is hit by scheduling a huge game which should be hosted in prime time on Friday.

Just a big shame really. I don't mind Thursdays personally, they're not that bad, but it is obviously no where near as good as the premium Friday night timeslot.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate Thursday and Sunday games.
Means I have to surreptitiously watch or listen while at work…….
Don’t have sufficient willpower to avoid the scores and watch later.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The thing that especially annoys me about this fixturing is that if we knew that we were going to play off a 5 day break then that probably would've changed our selections this week (and still might I guess). Would you rather play Rozee against Hawks or Melbourne? Because if he is under an injury then it is doubtful he can play both. Probably the same as McKenzie.

fu** yeah prime time.

Have a real soft spot for you guys, road tripped to the Port v Dees game at AO in 2016 and had a blast. (Admittedly we won)

You may not be old enough to remember him but I gave Ross Dillon a bit of a spray when he turned it on to the tune of 3 or 4 goals in the last qtr of a trial match against the Maggies at Alberton back in the 70's that got the Dees over the line.
He transferred to Norwood a few years later and ended up being a client of my then employer, he was a sensational bloke to deal with and I believe is still operating the business that club had set up to get him.

Another high quality Melbourne key position player (Gary Hardeman) lobbed at Sturt at about the same time, and he was the then Vic state team chb.

Those were the days when a number of SANFL clubs could offer some very profitable financial incentives to get players to cross the border.

In:
Butters
Duursma
Fantasia
Clurey

I doubt after 12 weeks off with leg injuries we play Duursma and Butters on a Saturday in the SANFL and then on a Thursday night

Here's hoping Spurrier, Marshall and Stevens allow for a crowd bigger than 25k next week, though I'm not exactly holding much hope.
But surely if we continue to get zero cases, they'll be obliged to ease restrictions sooner, rather than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back