Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love it if the club could find out who she was. Such a lovely touch.
So excited for our non Vic fans.

Adelaide fans two wins in 4 days against both Adelaide teams.
Qld fans, loud and proud and see us win by 9 goals to get us into finals.
2020 has been a campaigner of a year, but their have been some diamonds in the rough.

So excited for our non Vic fans.

Adelaide fans two wins in 4 days against both Adelaide teams.
Qld fans, loud and proud and see us win by 9 goals to get us into finals.
2020 has been a campaigner of a year, but their have been some diamonds in the rough.

Spot on.
So glad that the finals ( ours anyway) and GF will be played there.
Interstate supporters are true fans and hopefully it’ll translate into even more members.

Spot on.
So glad that the finals ( ours anyway) and GF will be played there.
Interstate supporters are true fans and hopefully it’ll translate into even more members.
Will it though. Could we Go to Adelaide and play. Would really piss off the other side. Won’t happen but would love it.

Should hang on surely?
I'm nervous, but Winx just kicked a goal after some great work from Ross again with the clearance and Butler and Billings, now Lones lays a great tackle for Ryder to goal.
Lones,two goals, two taken off him by Hill and Paddy.
Giants have fallen to pieces. Saints structure and pressure at the ball excellent.
Hill so involved this qtr.
Saints dominate 4th qtr, we could have kicked six, but after the first two quick goals, Marshall put on the ball and was taking possession and kicking over the stacked Giants midfield. Played in our forward half.

Great win, possibly best of the season.

Saint beaten

Both Adelaides in 4 days
Essendon
Carlton
Richmond (premier)
GWS ( grand finalist).

Very good season and hope going forward.

Rewatching the replay; potentially underrated moment was Howard running down the goal halfway through the 3rd.

If they kick that they get some confidence and it could have gone the other way

watching him outrun Carlisle to get the spoil says a lot about why we got him.
I like that we've got the confidence to let Doogs take kickouts as well. He's a good kick and gets good penetration.

Not sure what was going on in that preseason game when he kept kicking it OOF!

Treloar also butchers it by foot.

Adams is pretty good these days too. Treloar probably the technically best player they let go still even with his average disposal. Steele is starting to ask the question though for sure. I wouldn't swap him still, he's just starting to realise his potential and should be better than both on this trajectory.

The thing I’m probably happiest about tonight (besides the obvious of making finals) was I think we’ve finally found an answer to a big problem we’ve had for a few years now, namely, dealing with opposition tall intercept marking players.

I reckon it’s safe to say Haynes is in the top 3 intercepters in the game.

The absolute demolition job Josh Battle did on him tonight was something to behold.

We haven’t had an answer to the Haynes-type players that are running around at the moment.

But we have one now in Battle.

He has a massive tank. He has great height and a great leap. In short, he is every tall intercepting players worst nightmare.

Not only can Battle nullify this type of player, he can score himself and, this is the most important thing, he frees up so much space in the forward line for King and Membrey to work their magic and either mark it or bring the ball to ground for our smalls.

A round of applause to Ratts or whoever it was that suggested Josh play the role he played tonight. It was a big reason we are playing finals.

Hopefully from this point on, we will no longer be terrorized by the Haynes and McGovern-type players in the competition.
Huge post :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:,
The only other time we've tried a "tagging role" on an intercept defender was Marsh on Grimes against the Tiges when Marsh smashed it as well, if we can use Marsh in this role it gives us another option and still have Battle as a spare, just more flexibility to the game plan and the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steele - 10, yes 10 clearances to go along with seven tackles, 2 goals and 18 possies. Gun offensively and defensively.

Ryder - Wasn't so sure early on this year, even called him a witches hat but wowee he's the best of all our trades from last year. Going beautifully.

Butler - Our classiest player when in space. He is just brutal to the opposition if they let him get a crack at it.

Marshall - Our beast/tank/colossus. The tall version of Steele.

Hill - Finally liked what i saw last night and hopeful it continues. Providing a lot of run and more importantly running to the right positions.

Long - He's a mean, leaning bruising machine! Very reliable down back to provide a contest, a knock on or a knee to the oppositions ribs, face when needed.

Lonie - Butler gets off the leash when Lonie plays so they need each other. His constant pressure/harassing and bobbing up at opportune times is much required.

Paton - Takes the best mid sized and smaller defender every week and just gets it done. Never worried about him doing his job.

King - This was the King we needed against Melbourne. Mark it or bring it to ground and he does this better then anyone on our list and it's extremely important to our winning chances. When King plays like he did last night he gives the opposition no chance to take regulation intercept marks and rebound with ease. He really deserves a pat on the back.

Good morning all,
I cannot even describe how good I feel today because there are no words.
Over the last few years I despaired of seeing my club play finals again so last night's win was massive.
The singing of the club song and including all of the support staff, runners, coaches and anyone else in the room brought tears to my eyes.
I love this bloody football club.
My head tells me we might win next week or maybe not, my heart tells me we can win the Premiership Cup
And if we don't go all of the way, I intend on doing everthing I can to get to 2021 and the new football season
I dare to dream

Great waking up this morning knowing that we've booked our place for finals and not having to worry about other results, just a matter of who we play now.

Surprising how easy that win was in the end although it was always on the cards that GWS would drop off once they knew that finals was out of the question.

Give Lonie another contract.

Yeah I wouldn't be trading him after his performance last night, he was one of our best players and that was after copping a knee injury.

Lonie and Butler should be our first choice small forwards going forward.

Rewatching the replay; potentially underrated moment was Howard running down the goal halfway through the 3rd.

If they kick that they get some confidence and it could have gone the other way

watching him outrun Carlisle to get the spoil says a lot about why we got him.

It didn’t work out his way against the Dees the other week but a lot of nearly moments started to go our way this week. Maybe a little fortune or maybe we’re starting to click and make the right decisions of when to go. Very happy to go into finals off the back of that second half, I think a lot of confidence will come from the group from that.

fu** I drank some piss last night. Seedy as all fu**. Need a curry pie urgently.

Three beers and nearly half a bottle of whisky, I feel like I have Parkinson's this morning.

Kent was huge early, he pulled in some really strong marks. He faded out but looked like he was switched on when the game was in the balance still.
Kent's physical efforts earlier in the game did open it up for others- he faded, but should get another game. Hard to change a team that won one of our most important games in recent history. Jones might have to wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back