Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been a critic of Ross, after qtr time looks like he went to Conigilio and shut him down completely while getting his own ball.
After Steele our best midfielder and in the top five best

I guess after a BnF, and captaining the side much of last season, it probably threw him off his game for a bit, not being the primary focus.

I'm glad he's found some mojo and form on the eve of finals footy, because he's not a bad player at all when he's "on", and we desperately need players who are "on" now that we've made it ...

He's found a role, and he's starting to deliver bigtime.

Watched the replay today & couldn’t believe how ******* good Hunter Clark is, watching live you don’t seem to see him as much as you do when the pressure is off with a replay, that’s when you can see all the good things he does. He is very cool under pressure with an incredible football mind. Think I said it last season, he is a future Brownlow Medalist in the waiting.

The other thing is Marshal is a genuinely elite field kick, not just for a ruckman. Hits 45's, weihts his kicks, keeps them low, he has all the tools, I think we should just use him where ever we need him in th moment, whether its ruck/forwar/back

Ever think we train them all wrong. We need to dump them in a local footy side for a couple of years.

Now we know why Kane Cornes was spitting chips during the trade period period last year. Apart from being a fantastic KPD he’s also a natural leader.

I’d make Steele Captain and Howard Vice-Captain. Suddenly we have young and inspiring leadership.

I'd be happy with that choice - we're going to have one heck of a leadership group, that's for sure.

As for Howard, his last gasp efforts in the past two weeks are, dare I say it, the sort of thing that can turn a game in a heartbeat, and give you great pride that he's wearing your colours.

It was the most laconic 50m goal I've seen in quite a while ... made it look incredibly easy, but we all know it wasn't ... made it look like a crumbing snap from 10m out.

Really love what Battle brings to our team - he's got a bit of old school about him, with an elite modern-day tank.

Steele’s snap from 45m wasn’t too shabby either!

I guess after a BnF, and captaining the side much of last season, it probably threw him off his game for a bit, not being the primary focus.

I'm glad he's found some mojo and form on the eve of finals footy, because he's not a bad player at all when he's "on", and we desperately need players who are "on" now that we've made it ...

He's found a role, and he's starting to deliver bigtime.

Does anyone remember Ross the year after his first B&F? He failed to have anything close to the same effect as the year previous, and was injured a bit (from memory) but then burst back to form in the last few games of 2018.
I'm hoping it's the same deal this year. He can be solid contributer when he gets going.

Does anyone remember Ross the year after his first B&F? He failed to have anything close to the same effect as the year previous, and was injured a bit (from memory) but then burst back to form in the last few games of 2018.
I'm hoping it's the same deal this year. He can be solid contributer when he gets going.
Hes been building since coming back. His game on the weekend was decent even with the questionable up and under kicks

Jesus. Ryder has been insane for us this year, best tap ruckmen we've had that I can remember. Allows Marshall to play to his strengths as well, which is a very welcome suprise.
How long do people think he can go for? Could he Goldstein it and play another 3 or 4 quality years?

He looks fresh as. He still gets down low and picks up loose ball. I reckon Port not smashing him as a ruck might give him a couple of extra seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks fresh as. He still gets down low and picks up loose ball. I reckon Port not smashing him as a ruck might give him a couple of extra seasons.

Given his obvious influence around the place, a part of me hopes he can manage another 45 games (maybe across 3 seasons, as his trainee rucks get blooded) so we can have him tick off No.300 in the RWB.

He came to this club determined to offer far more than the league thought he would - dropped the weight, came in utterly ready to play, and has found a way to form an outstanding tandem with RoMa ...

Just quietly, while Butler (rightly) gets talked about as ‘recruit of the year’, how bloody good as Dougal Howard been?

The mad bast@rd just does.... not.... get.... beaten. Never gives up a chase. Hates losing, both individually and as a team. Makes good decisions. Quick, strong, agile and tough.

He’s already one of the best defenders in the AFL. He’ll be AA in the next few years.

One of the best recruits for any side in recent years. So, so good.

Just quietly, while Butler (rightly) gets talked about as ‘recruit of the year’, how bloody good as Dougal Howard been?

The mad bast@rd just does.... not.... get.... beaten. Never gives up a chase. Hates losing, both individually and as a team. Makes good decisions. Quick, strong, agile and tough.

He’s already one of the best defenders in the AFL. He’ll be AA in the next few years.

His sprint to the goal square to stop that goal was magnificent. And the fact it was the 2nd game in a row he had done that made it even better for me.

His sprint to the goal square to stop that goal was magnificent. And the fact it was the 2nd game in a row he had done that made it even better for me.
I like the way Riewoldt discusses effort from players. Everybody tries hard and puts in a lot of effort, but the assumption that all players are putting in the same effort it not accurate. It's not easy to give 100% effort every week and to give it absolutely everything. That's what I love about Howard. His effort is consistently very high. He clearly gives absolutely everything he's got each week. He's not the perfect player, but he's a fighter and hates to lose. Been a very good addition.

Given his obvious influence around the place, a part of me hopes he can manage another 45 games (maybe across 3 seasons, as his trainee rucks get blooded) so we can have him tick off No.300 in the RWB.

He came to this club determined to offer far more than the league thought he would - dropped the weight, came in utterly ready to play, and has found a way to form an outstanding tandem with RoMa ...

He seems to be a real wise calm old head too. He's a very zen character on and off field but just gets s**t done when games are on the line. He's like some old kung fu master. Sits there all spiritual then kicks your balls into your throat when you least expect it.

It is mental how we managed to get him last year, But what a great pick up

It is mental how we managed to get him last year, But what a great pick up

I can't believe Port let him go!! Did our trade team ply their guys with 25 year old single malt at the trade meeting???

"Here you go guys, have a drink on us...….just wanted to have a casual chat about that burnt out old Ruckman you want to get rid of....."

Was checking through our players stats and not only was Jack Steele our highest Clearance player and contested possession player, but also had the most amount of pressure acts. Not to mention a couple of snags!!

As well as the most tackles, and score involvements i think.
And not just ours...most in the game i think.

He seems to be a real wise calm old head too. He's a very zen character on and off field but just gets sh*t done when games are on the line. He's like some old kung fu master. Sits there all spiritual then kicks your balls into your throat when you least expect it.

That's a fantastic analogy ... He's definitely been a steadier for us, and has a strong killer instinct (like taking the advantage off the Lonie HTB and kicking it through) and is clearly influencing all of our bigs (King's tapdowns out of marking contests, and when he stands up for a ruck duel have his fingerprints on them, I reckon)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back