Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if its been mentioned in the thread, but couple of times against the bombers we let the fella taking the kick-out waltz all the way out of the 50m arc before he had to dispose of it. If we let Jayden Short do that the Tigers will be going end to end with 1 kick..

Breust is directly behind him. Not easy to to know exactly where and the opponent is a step or two away. By the time Ollie turns he could be tackled. All Breust had to do was stay in ollies eye line. I’m not saying the handball was impossible but it is risky when you can’t see the player and your opponent is close. Breust didn’t make it easy for him.

Should of given it up at that stage. Ollie struggles with set shots and he needs to be aware of this.

I feel like he doesn’t have the leg strength yet to drive through the ball and kick it with authority through the big sticks. Perhaps it’s confidence.

Fingers crossed he can develop this quick smart as you want to take your opportunities as a small forward when they come.

Out: Howe, Downie

In: Scrimshaw, Nash

Nash to be the super sub.

Lewis unlucky, but I just can’t see the need for another tall this weekend, and none of them deserve to be dropped.

Downie gets a run at Box Hill.

Does anyone else have the feeling Day might attract some extra physical attention this week. Especially if he has an impact early.

Dimma is a smart ruthless player/coach and will know how important Day was for us on the weekend.

The tigers are the current school yard bullies much like we were in our prime years. I'm interested to see just how highly rated Day is outside our club. If he is targeted it would be a huge compliment.

I don't think it will bother Will either.

They should, and I hope they do. Will be a good test for him.

Not a bad call, SYL.

Nash has potential to be an awkward match up. You kind of want to forget about him as an opponent given he's far from a world beater and has many flaws, but his pace and at his height means he could be a headache. From listening (reading) the track watchers (and one shot from outside 50 against North Melbourne) his kicking might be closer to average than poor now, which could be a game changer for him. Nash as sub an interesting suggestion, and am not against it.

And of course, people trot out the same, tired old 'but he works hard!' copouts. He's a key forward, he's there to kick goals, not be a 'workhorse'. Or at least, in the course of being a 'workhorse', he should be kicking goals. At this point he is averaging .79 of a goal a game. For 8 years. That's woeful in just about anyone's language.

He has a bad record for a player that's played that many games, there's no arguing it. He's not up to standard for a top team.

However I think he'll be in the team until Gunston returns. Lewis needs to replace Ceglar, which he should. Ideally neither TOB or Ceglar are in the team come the end of the season.

A couple people defending Hanrahan for burning teammates and him potentially not seeing them... he did it twice. Once ok yeah sure maaaayybe. Twice shows that he’s hungry and a bit selfish. Not a great team player imo

Interesting team selection discussion. My thoughts for what they are worth:
1. Ceglar stays. He is a more attacking ruckman than is McEvoy. McEvoy often aims to square the contest whereas Ceglar tries to palm to advantage. That is a well balanced team. Neither are dominant but they both enjoy periods when they are very effective. Both were serviceable against Essendon.
2. TOB stays. His stats against Essendon had him elite for goals, marks and goal accuracy and above average for tackles and kicks. No player gets dropped with those kinds of stats.
3. Downie or Scrimshaw comes in for Hanrahan. Howe offers physical presence, which is not a strong suit in this team with Sicily unavailable. You could make a case for Downie or Scrimshaw and I would be happy with either but my money would be on Scrimshaw. With Scrimshaw in, Burgoyne can replace Hanrahan in the forward half.
4. Nash as sub makes good sense. He can play small or tall and could be very dangerous late in the game when most players are struggling with fatigue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sold on the Nash renaissance. I want to see him dominate at BH for a stretch of games first.
Cannot trust the guy to deliver in a big game yet. Too many ahead of him in the order at present.

Agree completely. He offered absolutely nothing last season and should really need to earn another chance.

Agree completely. He offered absolutely nothing last season and should really need to earn another chance.
Thankfully team selection has nothing to do with carrying grudges from last year though.

We need players who can pressure tigers defence. See the Crows last week.

Nash is the perfect injury sub.

Breust is directly behind him. Not easy to to know exactly where and the opponent is a step or two away. By the time Ollie turns he could be tackled. All Breust had to do was stay in ollies eye line. I’m not saying the handball was impossible but it is risky when you can’t see the player and your opponent is close. Breust didn’t make it easy for him.
All comes back to a lack of awareness from Ollie
Thankfully team selection has nothing to do with carrying grudges from last year though.

We need players who can pressure tigers defence. See the Crows last week.

Nash is the perfect injury sub.
It’s an interesting suggestion, but I think the sub will always be a midfielder, a fresh mid for Q4 is a big advantage, I reckon. Charlie Constable for Geelong had a big impact coming on for only the last ten minutes. Downie, Cousins, Howe, Finn, Seamus... I think these are the players who will be subs throughout the year.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Nash starting 22 actually, Sammy was full of praise. He could be a nice disruption for the Grimes and Balta show. I think Lewis and Scrimshaw pull rank, though - reckon Clarko would be more desperate to make space for them.

All comes back to a lack of awareness from Ollie

It’s an interesting suggestion, but I think the sub will always be a midfielder, a fresh mid for Q4 is a big advantage, I reckon. Charlie Constable for Geelong had a big impact coming on for only the last ten minutes. Downie, Cousins, Howe, Finn, Seamus... I think these are the players who will be subs throughout the year.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Nash starting 22 actually, Sammy was full of praise. He could be a nice disruption for the Grimes and Balta show. I think Lewis and Scrimshaw pull rank, though - reckon Clarko would be more desperate to make space for them.
I like your comments initially as you are putting player's up who are fast and against Richmond its all about fast. I worry when u mention Lewis as he's all about slow. I'd be prepared against a geelong for him as they are slow. But horses or elephants for courses Richmond no, geelong ok, unless he starts dominating afl games. Box hill games with 2 goals ... yeah nah.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Worpel run with Martin when he’s in the midfield. Could be a great growth opportunity for him to go toe to toe and maybe look to hurt him the other way too. Martin at the peak of his powers and our young tyro... not bad!

Out: Howe, Downie

In: Scrimshaw, Nash

Nash to be the super sub.

Lewis unlucky, but I just can’t see the need for another tall this weekend, and none of them deserve to be dropped.

Downie gets a run at Box Hill.

That would be extremely harsh on Downie to get named as sub, not play and then get dropped. I'm not sure that's Clarko's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back