Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put Nash on Grimes. Can't read the play that well and will get towelled up. I think he's better suited to a role where he can run, so playing med/small and moving up onto a wing. He has a surprisingly good field kick.

I'm torn between Kosi/TOB on Grimes. I think Tim's aerial ability and the way he consistently gets to contests would worry Grimes, however I think his offensive impact (if you look solely at last game) might be superior to Kosis. TOB has played the selfless role all of last year and didn't have the best year, whereas Kosi excelled doing something similar last week. If Kosi's inexperience gets exposed, then we can always switch them, but I think his development as a defender means he will have a reading of the ball that belies his lack of gametime in the 1s.

Can't really put anyone on Grimes, he'll go to whoever he goes to when they rotate. I'd be bringing Nash in with a remit to go straight to wherever Jayden Short is and make him earn every kick, he's 100% their prime mover out of defense and is starting to get that Caleb Daniel shiftiness and game breaking ability about him. Play through whoever is lined up on him.

Just a heads up for anyone going to the game on Sunday
You must download the “Services Victoria” app to be able to scan at the turnstiles (if going in a group only 1 of you needs the app)
If you don’t you cannot enter the ground until you do
Also get there earlier as it will take longer to get in
Stuart Fox on SEN just now

I assume this is for all games
At least it’s not the covid safe one (used at marvel)

Every time I see Martin doing the don’t argue it makes me want to spew up. The problem is that players use the wrong approach as they try to meet his force with their force coming from the opposite direction which doesn’t work as he is as strong as an Ox.

Using the laws of physics, the right technique a simple deflection using chudan uke ..... even a player like Hanrahan could break through it! If Clarko or Sammy want to talk just txt me 😄
Or just do what Cyril always did... accept the offering of his extended arm as a lever to pull him to ground.

Can't really put anyone on Grimes, he'll go to whoever he goes to when they rotate. I'd be bringing Nash in with a remit to go straight to wherever Jayden Short is and make him earn every kick, he's 100% their prime mover out of defense and is starting to get that Caleb Daniel shiftiness and game breaking ability about him. Play through whoever is lined up on him.

i have him in my fantasy so nah, let's not do that to short

Fully agree, I don't understand why they don't just grab his arm and however then be accused of applying a chicken wing tackle by the media nuffies!
More likely to misrepresented as a sling tackle if they can bring him down quick enough and hard enough. Chicken wing is only when they're pinned on the ground and the arm is being pulled back up.

Talking Hawks podcast had a section on how to cover Dusty and I think it's an interesting conversation.

In the midfield:
I would have Howe or Shiels moving with him- Howe is a great disrupter and can play the niggle role to help nullify Dusty getting clean first possession,if he were to win that battle he would win by denial and by preventing Dusty from getting the ball. I think if we were to send Shiels to him he'd be there to mitigate impact- let Dusty get the ball but rely on being able to put immediate pressure on.

When he goes forward:
I would put Hardwick on him, and have him wear him like a glove. People had floated the idea of Greaves coming in to play on him, or having another youngster in Cj or Day play on him but I think that mitigates what they do best; intercept.
Frost needs to take a KPF, as does Hartigan, which leaves Hardwick as our last 'one to one' defender. I think we forget how strong Hardwick is, and we know he's someone who likes to deal with the biff and that's definitely something Dusty brings. I view his role as more of a physical engager to make it harder for him to lead and to make it harder for him to find space inside 50, with Day, Cj and Scrimshaw to fly across and hopefully move the ball out of his area.

Ultimately I think if we fixate on him too much we're in strife as the depth of Richmond will kill us- keeping it simple with "Shiels, you run with him in the middle, Dimma when he goes forward you keep touch on him until he leaves"

I think my updated team this week:
in: Scrimshaw.
out:Howe (om.)
Burgers moves to 23rd man to play a coaching role on the bench and to fill any gaps should an injury occur.
Downie starts on the IC and gets some good experience playing at the G in front of 60k+.

Howe I think is quite unlucky but I think Scrim comes into the backline and I think Downie potentially offers more on a wing on a wider, less defensively minded ground.

Isn't Nash or for matter any other player allowed to improve over the summer? Or is it only the ones we prefer that can improve?
Some people are angry that their usual punching bags have improved- they'd hate to lose another!
They'd rather feel vindicated in their disdain for a player than see them go on to be a best 22 performer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people are angry that their usual punching bags have improved- they'd hate to lose another!
They'd rather feel vindicated in their disdain for a player than see them go on to be a best 22 performer.
Its definitely a bias related to writing a player off

Isn't Nash or for matter any other player allowed to improve over the summer? Or is it only the ones we prefer that can improve?
Absolutely they are. And I'm a Nash fan, but one good showing isn't enough for him to come straight back in in my mind. Give him 2-3 more games at BHH first to really beat the door down. There are other proven performers who also played well on the weekend who deserve a run, and no immediate need for him to come in as I think the position he plays has some performining players in it. The one scenario I see that could make sense is to drop Ollie and bring him in, but I would prefer to bring in Scrimshaw and reshuffle the team if we do drop Ollie.

Yeh don’t know about this. I was pretty unhappy with Morrison and ceglar last year. Have already said that I’m glad that Morrison is proving me wrong so far this year. Not sold on Ceglar just yet, but again hope he also proves me wrong ( particularly looking at the opposition ruckman at centre bounces)

Absolutely they are. And I'm a Nash fan, but one good showing isn't enough for him to come straight back in in my mind. Give him 2-3 more games at BHH first to really beat the door down. There are other proven performers who also played well on the weekend who deserve a run, and no immediate need for him to come in as I think the position he plays has some performining players in it. The one scenario I see that could make sense is to drop Ollie and bring him in, but I would prefer to bring in Scrimshaw and reshuffle the team if we do drop Ollie.
Yep i dont have Nash in this week

Just a heads up for anyone going to the game on Sunday
You must download the “Services Victoria” app to be able to scan at the turnstiles (if going in a group only 1 of you needs the app)
If you don’t you cannot enter the ground until you do
Also get there earlier as it will take longer to get in
Stuart Fox on SEN just now

I assume this is for all games

Oh oh, seems like it'll be a nightmare getting into the G then, wasn't too bad getting into Marvel last Saturday night.

So basically these days anyone without a smart phone or a phone that dies can't go to the footy anymore, which is a shame as not all elderly have a smart phone.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but Jars had a cast on his hand in the video welcoming back Andy , might be in a bit of doubt
Isnt that just a support?

it’s not a cast like I expected after reading your post.

Okie doke - here's what I think will happen:

1. In - Scrimshaw Out - Hanrahan.
2. We won't play as attacking, at least in the first half.
3. Timbo will kick 3
4. Lynch/Riewoldt combo will kick 4
5. Richmond smalls won't get free riegn like they used to
6. Dusty will get 30+ and kick a bag - let's accept it now. He's amazing.
7. Mitchell will get 30+
8. Richmond will target CJ and Jars.
9. Hawks will attack LONG and deep. Goalsquare bombs. It definitely won't work as well this week.
10. Richmond will sweat on us making mistakes and get most of their scores from turnovers.
11. Hawks will win by 23 points (Put the house on it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back