Autopsy Round 20, 2021 v Essendon - first win against Bombers at the MCG in 98 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest issue at centre bounces is converting first possession into effective clearances. The dead give away is how many of Essendon's whiz-bang centre clearances actually started as Swans possessions. Horse needs to get serious about changing the midfield as we are where we were 4 years ago and compared to the rest of the team where you can really see the evolution and changes that have been made for the betterment of the team, the midfield is lagging big time.

I will get in trouble for this but oh well. Just my view.

So I take it McRobie ventured over to the Bombers board judging by his day off.

I don't like it. Hate Essendon and their supporters but they are people and they've just had a loss that would hurt. I wouldn't want someone coming into this board carrying on after we'd lost a match.

Still think we need that classy inside outsider and don’t say Stephens

And maybe someone besides cox takes the mid group

How about stephe…. Oh sorry yeah we do

We need to stop teams waltzing out of the centre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our biggest issue at centre bounces is converting first possession into effective clearances. The dead give away is how many of Essendon's whiz-bang centre clearances actually started as Swans possessions. Horse needs to get serious about changing the midfield as we are where we were 4 years ago and compared to the rest of the team where you can really see the evolution and changes that have been made for the betterment of the team, the midfield is lagging big time.

I will get in trouble for this but oh well. Just my view.

Its a fair point - and something that I think will improve in time. The issue is the development in other parts of the team has been so rapid this year, that the 'flaws' that are there are being more highlighted then before - this being one of them. In many ways, getting the midfield right is a whole let easier then a lot of other issues around the park - but no doubt we need to improve in there and get a better mix - but father time is going to make that happen to some degree over the next year or two anyway with Joey, and its clear we are open to trying new things - JM had some promising signs again in there today I thought.

Strange game that one.

Awesome win, took a lot of Steele and composure to get across the line. High pressure all game. But the way we conceded quick goals was very concerning, we are better than that.

Still a win is a win and after everything the players have been through these past 2 months, it’s hard to fault anyone.

Very even contribution from the the 22. Alot to work on from that win, but we got the 4 points nonetheless

Not a kill joy but when we get beaten in the middle like we do and when finals get cracking I think that will be a key indicator for winning and loosing

Cats number 1 atm

Yer finals is different not much space and flow much more congested stuff, good signs tho! as Parker and Kennedy are in great form.

Not a kill joy but when we get beaten in the middle like we do and when finals get cracking I think that will be a key indicator for winning and loosing

Cats number 1 atm
I agree.

It's not a huge worry that we lose clearances around the ground so much as I think we set up in a way where we focus on winning possession at half back the way richmond did so you concede a few.

The real worry is the way teams just waltz out of centre clearances against us with no pressure at all. We look way too slow.

I agree.

It's not a huge worry that we lose clearances around the ground so much as I think we set up in a way where we focus on winning possession at half back the way richmond did so you concede a few.

The real worry is the way teams just waltz out of centre clearances against us with no pressure at all. We look way too slow.

Yer when Hickey isn't dominating in the middle we are exposed for clearances, no real fix for this season other than getting Warner in there for some burst speed.

Dawson-did not put a foot wrong, incredible marking. Skills exceptional again

Mccartin- nice game, he seems to have perfected his move of pushing a player under with his body and taking the grab. Did it 3-4 times today

Parker- started slow but built nicely. 2 beautiful set shot goals when we needed them. Captains game

Mills- absolutely sensational, he’s got it all

Papley- really made a statement when the game was in the balance. Huge 3rd quarter.

Blakey- wasn’t best in ground but did plenty when he needed to. His run up the guts was blistering and delivered a nice kick to papley. His goal came on the back of some hard work and really showed some resolve kicking that

Hayward- very good again, back to his best. Always dangerous

Heeney- was good without being great. Did what he needed to

Jmac- found plenty of it and worked hard but his skills probably wernt at the level they normally are

Remove this Banner Ad

Back