Preview 2016 Round 22: Sydney v North @ Blundstone Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McGlynn is an odd selection in my opinion. I can understand the logic - give him one last chance to lock down a spot before the finals. But a midfielder goes out and a second small forward comes in.. so far this year the Papley/McGlynn combination seems to make them both half as effective. I don't see McGlynn as having the engine to run as a genuine midfielder anymore.

I'm still slightly concerned that week one of the finals will read:
Out: Aliir, X. Richards, Papley, Naismith
In: T. Richards, Laidler, McGlynn, Sinclair

... aaaaand we're back to the old days. Don't do it to me Horse.

We've made the error of rewarding experience over form before. I'm hoping that we won't make that mistake again.

What has made you think this is a possibility?
Well making four changes is an exaggeration, but it's more a concern that Horse will go back to an old experienced player rather than back a youngster. For example if Paps and Benny have similar games this week I wouldn't be surprised to see Papley as the one dropped. Disappointed, but not surprised.

He's back the youngsters so far this year and I think it's a big reason for our current position. Hoping he sticks by it!

I'm echoing a few of the other concerns in this thread about McGlynn coming in for Jack. If he's playing in the forward line, then he and Papley need to really communicate well so they're not getting in each other's space. If he's playing further up the ground, hopefully he uses his hands more than his feet to release some of the outside mids.

Nankervis is a little stiff to miss out, but he's been consistently outplayed by Naismith in the ruck (except perhaps for last week) and Tippett is a big upgrade. Also, I'm 100% confident that Sinclair won't come back into the side for Naismith once he's not injured. I actually didn't mind his first half of the year, but Naismith has provided everything he was giving us, plus the additional benefit of many more hitouts to advantage. This week against Goldstein will be a MASSIVE challenge.

Well making four changes is an exaggeration, but it's more a concern that Horse will go back to an old experienced player rather than back a youngster. For example if Paps and Benny have similar games this week I wouldn't be surprised to see Papley as the one dropped. Disappointed, but not surprised.

He's back the youngsters so far this year and I think it's a big reason for our current position. Hoping he sticks by it!

People are seriously overestimating Papley's contribution this year I think, and underselling Mcglynn's value. Neither are superstars, but McGlynn has more runs on the board and versatility. Hoping for bigger things from Papley, of course.

As a sentimental old fool if we get up this week I wouldn't begrudge Teddy a game against Richmond. Ladder position probably dictates that it’s just not a possibility and won’t and shouldn’t be a consideration. I would love to see it though.

Not unless we have a top 2 spot sealed. As it is we always struggle against Richmond.

People are seriously overestimating Papley's contribution this year I think, and underselling Mcglynn's value. Neither are superstars, but McGlynn has more runs on the board and versatility. Hoping for bigger things from Papley, of course.

I think he's a much more natural small-forward than McGlynn, whereas McGlynn is more of a midfielder who was forced to play small forward due to our midfield depth and his physical attributes.

It's a fair opinion but I lean the other way. I think Papley and McGlynn have similar output but Paps is quicker and pressures much harder than McGlynn. Paps is the better crumber, but I'd say McGlynn a slightly better finisher. For me, Papley combined with Rohan means our forward pressure is intense.

I don't see the versatility with McGlynn either. If we wanted to replace KJ with a genuine midfielder then Benny wouldn't come in to calculations.

It's a fair opinion but I lean the other way. I think Papley and McGlynn have similar output but Paps is quicker and pressures much harder than McGlynn. Paps is the better crumber, but I'd say McGlynn a slightly better finisher. For me, Papley combined with Rohan means our forward pressure is intense.

I don't see the versatility with McGlynn either. If we wanted to replace KJ with a genuine midfielder then Benny wouldn't come in to calculations.
If I were Horse (stop giggling!) I would swing Hewett back into the middle and let McGlynn and Papley be in the forward line. Problem solved.

I'm echoing a few of the other concerns in this thread about McGlynn coming in for Jack. If he's playing in the forward line, then he and Papley need to really communicate well so they're not getting in each other's space. If he's playing further up the ground, hopefully he uses his hands more than his feet to release some of the outside mids.

Nankervis is a little stiff to miss out, but he's been consistently outplayed by Naismith in the ruck (except perhaps for last week) and Tippett is a big upgrade. Also, I'm 100% confident that Sinclair won't come back into the side for Naismith once he's not injured. I actually didn't mind his first half of the year, but Naismith has provided everything he was giving us, plus the additional benefit of many more hitouts to advantage. This week against Goldstein will be a MASSIVE challenge.
I wouldn't worry about Goldstein, he's been playing sore/half injured for the past two months after Doggie players shoved a few knees into him going third man up. His form and confidence have suffered as a result, it's one of the reasons why we are pumping games into Daw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's a much more natural small-forward than McGlynn, whereas McGlynn is more of a midfielder who was forced to play small forward due to our midfield depth and his physical attributes.

For me though McGlynn is a better set shot, obviously that is not everything in a forward but pretty handy.

Good headache to have for choice with capable small forwards (Papley Hewett, McGlynn) They all add something a bit different in their strengths. Better than the lack of those options in the past.

100% sounds like it. They managed to make it sound vastly more offensive by censoring it :D

In essence the problem with censorship entirely. I want to know what's behind the curtain!

I also hope he backs the youngsters. No matter how deep into the finals we go, finals experience for these guys will be a huge asset for future assaults on
the premiership.

As a sentimental old fool if we get up this week I wouldn't begrudge Teddy a game against Richmond. Ladder position probably dictates that it’s just not a possibility and won’t and shouldn’t be a consideration. I would love to see it though.

id about rest grundy, give aliir riewoldt and bring richards in.

1. reg gets a well earned 2 week rest before dominating september

2. xr gets some exrtemely valuable experience playing on a premier forward

3. richards gets a chance to say goodbye to the swans faithful, and gets to loosen up and get rid of some rust, in case he is required in finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back