Preview Round 23, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval | Sunday, 22 August @ 4.40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but in setting player expectations this Club Med was actually far crueler than harsher regimes we had under Laidley or Pagan.

Players didn't seem to announce retirements or have farewell games because they were either having their pockets pissed in all season or given no real feedback. That was until the list management function suddenly decided to make calls seemingly out of the blue each year.

Scott Thompson and Waite both voiced their confusion every year as to whether they were still wanted. List managers seemed to pin their strategy to whether a big fish would turn up and rule us in or out of contention. A flimsy strategy that come circa 2020 left Brady et al with the clean-up.

Sam Gibson, Swallow, NDS, Petrie, Boomer et al - all seemed either shocked or confused at the final call. Putting aside pride, a decent people management process shouldn't see individuals stunned at the final curtain call. NDS and Petrie weren't really firing a shot in 2016 but it didn't sound like anyone had sat them down and explained honestly where they were at. Instead they got the smack out of the blue and were thrown out by it.

Players, especially long term ones, really shouldn't be surprised when they're not renewed if it's managed properly! Gibson played in every game 2017 then was told "see ya" without seeing it coming. Why? Why play him every week then delist him yet never along the way without setting any expectations around the next season.

Even worse was Andrew Swallow. Seemed to just fade off our list unseen. A finals winning club captain limping off into the sunset without any feeling of finality. Made it look like all the "love the players" rhetoric was just a facade for falseness and emptiness.

A bit like spruiking your selfnessness and how you'll stand aside if it's best for the club... before collecting your full pay to sit in the south of France sipping some random bubbly.
You parrot off this offensive bile quite often, glorifying the players as servants of the club, while completely slagging Scott, the bloke who coached for 10 years , presumably doing the best job he could

oh yes , sipping some bubbly not some real Shinboner drinking out of the slops bucket
tiresome

This week will be the week we see if sentimentality plays a part in Nobles sides. If players who will be playing their last game are NOT selected then it will mean that you will only get a spot in the team if you deserve it...If we see players like Atley, Tyson, Garner, and a few others are picked to play then you could say its farewell to them..If not then it will be a wait and see....
I can't see him picking Tyson or Garner, they've hardly been club greats.
Ats maybe, but I'd be ok if he wasn't selected. I want to see us win this week and he's not best 22.

Im extremely tempted to take an actual wooden spoon to the game & wave it around - whilst dressed in full North getup - the whole last quarter, when we’re winning comfortably, as if I actually think the result means we’ll switch spots on the ladder.

The brain aneurisms of surrounding Crows supporters trying to convince me otherwise would be amazing to see…
Particularly if my only response was ‘Tecks.’

I will never forget the day that Pat, a North supporter I knew, ran out onto Optus oval, with a wooden spoon.

I saw him in the dunnies, and he said he was about to do it, and I just laughed.

5 mins later, there he goes. *in funny.

I went to the final round of 2017 against Lions at Gabba. Loser took the spoon. We won.

Just remember Lachie Hansen and Lindsay Thomas in just about tears. Their departures hadn't been announced, but their body language said everything.
How about the year before getting a Tweet saying 'fk off Boomer' or words to that effect.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You parrot off this offensive bile quite often, glorifying the players as servants of the club, while completely slagging Scott, the bloke who coached for 10 years , presumably doing the best job he could

oh yes , sipping some bubbly not some real Shinboner drinking out of the slops bucket
tiresome
Good luck with the interviews Brad.

Watched the Swans goals from last weekend and they were a mix of our really poor skill errors or sheer arseyness

The general arsey nature of all their first quarter goals would normally signal a flogging is on the cards. Our resilience in the face of it was commendable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree but in setting player expectations this Club Med was actually far crueler than harsher regimes we had under Laidley or Pagan.

Players didn't seem to announce retirements or have farewell games because they were either having their pockets pissed in all season or given no real feedback. That was until the list management function suddenly decided to make calls seemingly out of the blue each year.

Scott Thompson and Waite both voiced their confusion every year as to whether they were still wanted. List managers seemed to pin their strategy to whether a big fish would turn up and rule us in or out of contention. A flimsy strategy that come circa 2020 left Brady et al with the clean-up.

Sam Gibson, Swallow, NDS, Petrie, Boomer et al - all seemed either shocked or confused at the final call. Putting aside pride, a decent people management process shouldn't see individuals stunned at the final curtain call. NDS and Petrie weren't really firing a shot in 2016 but it didn't sound like anyone had sat them down and explained honestly where they were at. Instead they got the smack out of the blue and were thrown out by it.

Players, especially long term ones, really shouldn't be surprised when they're not renewed if it's managed properly! Gibson played in every game 2017 then was told "see ya" without seeing it coming. Why? Why play him every week then delist him yet never along the way without setting any expectations around the next season.

Even worse was Andrew Swallow. Seemed to just fade off our list unseen. A finals winning club captain limping off into the sunset without any feeling of finality. Made it look like all the "love the players" rhetoric was just a facade for falseness and emptiness.

A bit like spruiking your selfnessness and how you'll stand aside if it's best for the club... before collecting your full pay to sit in the south of France sipping some random bubbly.

This almost made me shed a tear. I’ve been able to push the Scott era (error) into my subconscious and embrace our Noble cause but you captured some of the gut wrenching frustration there in that post KC I don’t want to dwell on it but I will never forgive BS for the way he ended Boomers career 😢

tiresome
I think Brad held on way too long and part of the ‘backlash’ against him was people were pretty sick of the deflections, “easy fixes” repeated flaws in the game plan. Again that 2012-2015 drafting record (he was reportedly very hands on) is the reason why we ended up with a wooden spoon

Im extremely tempted to take an actual wooden spoon to the game & wave it around - whilst dressed in full North getup - the whole last quarter, when we’re winning comfortably, as if I actually think the result means we’ll switch spots on the ladder.

The brain aneurisms of surrounding Crows supporters trying to convince me otherwise would be amazing to see…
Particularly if my only response was ‘Tecks.’
Holler if you want to spoon together!

tiresome

Get your hand off it Reginald. Which parts were factually incorrect? Where was the glorification of players as servants of the club? Or "complete slagging off" of Scott?

I praised Scott plenty over the journey. He was a good communicator, had a high player retention rate and if he had an on-field brand it was an exciting game-style.

Sipping bubbly was about seeing out his gardening leave in the south of France and nothing to do with Shinboner. Go review his comments about stepping away if it's the right thing to do - vs how he actually handled his departure and get your facts straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farewell games are certainly a good way to force this game into the completely meaningless category. Gifting games to players who won't be part of the team going forward. Fair that some might feel it's already meaningless.

So it comes down to pragmatism versus emotion. Allowing a player who isn't best 22 to play above someone deserving of playing based on form and ability. That's for the feels. I'd probably feel a bit pissed off if i was the player dropped, trying to take every chance that's there to develop my craft and feelings are prioritised over that.

If that's what you'd prefer in this situation then that's cool. Both have their pros and cons. But one isn't right or wrong. Just strong feels.

This may be overly harsh but a bloke who has played 49 games & hasn't won a flag with us doesn't deserve a farewell game.

Garner has been a favourite since he swaggered into the club and I've spent these long years hoping he would get a decent run at it, and was crushed every time he copped a new injury, but agreed - it's a harsh but correct call.

Saw him play a great game at Etihad a few years back on one of his 'return from a long injury lay off' games - against GC, I think - and considering how infrequently he played and how infrequent my trips to Melbourne are, it's a memory I'll cherish.

I'll be giving Garner a send off on the weekend whether he plays or not - good on you, Taylor, you'll always be a favourite :thumbsupemoji:.
(Someone get me the McVeigh ragdoll, stat!)

Last edited:
Taylor Garner - " PLAYED IN MORE FINALS WINS THAN CALE HOOKER " !

received_222425723070683.gif

Farewell games are certainly a good way to force this game into the completely meaningless category. Gifting games to players who won't be part of the team going forward. Fair that some might feel it's already meaningless.

So it comes down to pragmatism versus emotion. Allowing a player who isn't best 22 to play above someone deserving of playing based on form and ability. That's for the feels. I'd probably feel a bit pissed off if i was the player dropped, trying to take every chance that's there to develop my craft and feelings are prioritised over that.

If that's what you'd prefer in this situation then that's cool. Both have their pros and cons. But one isn't right or wrong. Just strong feels.

Usually an opportunity like the last round to celebrate someone who has contributed to the cause isn't exactly gifting players.

Just as it was for Durdin last year, it's just the right thing to do for the player and the playing group who want to celebrate that player.

Personally, I think they should have played Maj in that game also.

Usually an opportunity like the last round to celebrate someone who has contributed to the cause isn't exactly gifting players.

Just as it was for Durdin last year, it's just the right thing to do for the player and the playing group who want to celebrate that player.

Personally, I think they should have played Maj in that game also.
Durdin was played out of necessity, likewise murphy.

Ill be frustrated if we pick Tyson or Garner. Absolutely no need.

You never know, they may be picked up elsewhere, which makes a farewell game pointless.

Better off debuting Spice man and getting more midfield time into Phillips. Maybe trial Anderson as a pressure forward again as i can see him playing there next year

Ill be frustrated if we pick Tyson or Garner. Absolutely no need.

You never know, they may be picked up elsewhere, which makes a farewell game pointless.

Better off debuting Spice man and getting more midfield time into Phillips. Maybe trial Anderson as a pressure forward again as i can see him playing there next year

Debatable on Garner, agreed on Tyson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back