Review Round 23 MELBOURNE V GWS GIANTS SUNDAY 1:10 PM ETIHAD STADIUM

Remove this Banner Ad

How many Giants supporters are there? Looks like about 100 - 150.

The cheer squad and not much else. The group that usually sit in the AFL members behind the bench weren't there today, might of been sitting elsewhere. Not much noise at all after goals. Dead rubber and fathers day, easy to find better things to do I guess.

Spot on on all fronts. I've been saying we need a mature big defender all year. Been shot down by a few on here about it too. In two or three years someone like marchbank might be big enough, but not at the moment. Corr should never play on the gorillas... He will never be big enough.
We need to review our defensive set up too... Don't use a zone enough imo.
With Davis frequently injured it's always an uphill battle.

I've never seen a NEAFL match but from what I've seen in the seniors I'm just not seeing it with Marchbank, loses his man easily for key defender and lacks urgency, cant see a lot of difference between what he and Plowman bring. Tomlinson has never shown much at all as a back-up ruck, is too short has no leap, looks like the only guy on the list that could fill the big bodied defender role yet there is some obsession to play him everywhere else. So many of our mids don't chase. Left at 3/4 time, don't think Ive done that since I started supporting this team and I've sat through some thrashings. Not much to play for but gee that was s**t.

I've never seen a NEAFL match but from what I've seen in the seniors I'm just not seeing it with Marchbank, loses his man easily for key defender and lacks urgency, cant see a lot of difference between what he and Plowman bring.

Long long long time to go for Marchbank. KPPs always require time, and for him to even be getting games in his first year shows a) decent work rate to begin with, but b) our KPD injury issues.

The cheer squad and not much else. The group that usually sit in the AFL members behind the bench weren't there today, might of been sitting elsewhere. Not much noise at all after goals. Dead rubber and fathers day, easy to find better things to do I guess.

I thought there was a fair crowd of us behind the goals. It was certainly the fun end of the ground.

Sounds like I picked the right game to be driving back from Newcastle for. No radio - just my new Father's Day CD - Positive Songs for Negative People (Frank Turner).

So I can assume I shouldn't watch the replay...

How'd Barrett look in his debut? How long did he get? Etc etc.

For mine Barrett looked a bit like Whiley. He has a crack, puts his body on the line and can get the ball but lacks athleticism and speed.

RE Marchbank, he is going to be a gun. First of all he is a defender and they take 2-3 years minimum in most cases.

Secondly he got hurt early in the game and battled on until succumbing.

Thirdly he from memory is a December baby and only turns 19 in a couple of months.

When he builds his body and tank he will be a jet. Give him time.

The only other positive today was Zac Williams...geez I love this kid, always tries his heart out.

For mine Barrett looked a bit like Whiley. He has a crack, puts his body on the line and can get the ball but lacks athleticism and speed.

His draft combine would suggest otherwise with him finishing second in the beep test reaching level 15.6 as well as a top 10 result in the 20-metre sprint. To me what lets him down is his lack of footy smarts but thats just because he really didn't start playing afl until he was almost 17 so given that his already come along way so it will be interesting to see just how much further he can develop.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His draft combine would suggest otherwise with him finishing second in the beep test reaching level 15.6 as well as a top 10 result in the 20-metre sprint. To me what lets him down is his lack of footy smarts but thats just because he really didn't start playing afl until he was almost 17 so given that his already come along way so it will be interest to see just how much further he can develop.

You could be right mate it was a small sample today and probably need to see 3 or 4 games to make a definitive assessment.

Just a couple of times he looked slowish to me.

Half the team looked slow, allowed the dees to run the ball out from defence and through the middle of the park. Long season for some of the guys and being a nothing game not overly concerned and happy no major injuries from the game. Any news on Marchbank?
Ward tried to lead but the other midfielders were unable to match his performance
Plenty to work on for the players before the first game next year, another long off season watching repeats awaits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back