Autopsy Round 3, 2019: Hawthorn defeats North

Remove this Banner Ad

Very little said about Dave Mirra?

Many have said that he couldn’t improve but he’s certainly been a very steady, reliable defender.
His big, strong body is an asset.

I think the saddest thing is that he is seen to be easily disposable. And yet every time he's played this year we've won.

Here is a bloke who has known the HFC structures for years. He plays them selflessly. Yes he may have limitations but he is 100 percent committed to the team ethic. He's a shorter, less versitile but just as important version of Spangher.

So you don't like the 50m rule but you're happy for it to be paid. Seeing how you like zones so much how about they mark a white line across the end of the goal square from one side to the other so the players know where to stand in opposition to the kicker without the umps constantly telling them to get in line?
You can dislike a rule and at the same time expect it to be applied evenly

They’re not mutually exclusive standpoints.

What a bizarre position you have.

You can dislike a rule and at the same time expect it to be applied evenly

They’re not mutually exclusive standpoints.

What a bizarre position you have.
Or you can expect it not to be paid at all for such minor infringements. Just wanting a 50m penalty because the opposition got some, doesn't justify in paying them because we are Hawthorn
Less frees and more footy Id like

What an odd position I have because life is never even

Blake hardwick is such a freakin Jet. As is Henderson, can't believe crows gave him the flick. Were gonna get better as season goes, Wingard/Scully still a month off then they will be scary. Signs are there. Stick wth Morrison, he's a good decision maker. Nash im not 100% sure. I trust Clarkson with him though. Not a big Howe fan so would need him to rip VFL apart before selecting him. Geez we need a key forward who can present.

We need a benchmark on how good casey are, but Box Hill as a team is ripping the VFL apart. I reckon the confidence from a tough finals campaign last year has galvanised them

We don’t have one of the best key forwards in the game any more, and we lost Cyril last year. It may be rough and Poppy’s last

What we do have is Gunston Bruest Wingard Sicily (when we need to use him) and McEvoy who is out marking all but one KPP. There’s schoey Lewis and Ross in the VFL

How greedy can we be?

Last edited:
Ok. Still hard to deny Selwoods first two seasons with the cats were very impressive. But yeah i forgot how bullshit partisan this forum is. Seeya

It's a team board you goose.

Everyone knows Selwood is a great player and was the definition of immediate impact, but don't get upset if we don't want to expound upon it in our own board.

I think the saddest thing is that he is seen to be easily disposable. And yet every time he's played this year we've won.

Here is a bloke who has known the HFC structures for years. He plays them selflessly. Yes he may have limitations but he is 100 percent committed to the team ethic. He's a shorter, less versitile but just as important version of Spangher.
On the replay it's easy to see what he does when he doesn't have the ball, he's just telling the other defenders what to do. With Burgoyne out he probably stays in.

Ps. Was anybody surprised to see McEvoy's name absent from the coaches votes? Thought he was just about best on.

Or you can expect it not to be paid at all for such minor infringements. Just wanting a 50m penalty because the opposition got some, doesn't justify in paying them because we are Hawthorn
Less frees and more footy Id like

What an odd position I have because life is never even
Who suggested we deserved the 50’s “because we are Hawthorn”??

I get the feeling that he is starting to believe he belongs and the way he is playing he is making me a believer too. Amazing what a few weeks of footy can do to one's psyche. Go Dave make that dream come true

It's a team board you goose.

Everyone knows Selwood is a great player and was the definition of immediate impact, but don't get upset if we don't want to expound upon it in our own board.
So what I'm over Selwood is a ducker blah blah blah every time he is mentioned. He is an out and out gun and was from pretty much day 1. They fact we went Mitch Thorp the pick before still grates more than any free he has received.

So what I'm over Selwood is a ducker blah blah blah every time he is mentioned. He is an out and out gun and was from pretty much day 1. They fact we went Mitch Thorp the pick before still grates more than any free he has received.

Sure, but I'm not going to go into a Synagogue and expect everyone to talk to me about what a nice guy Jesus was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I notice that Selwood has been less effective the last 2 years, because the high tackle rule was changed. The umpires don’t give him multiple cheap free kicks.

So he’s no longer a “ducker”!

I wouldn’t admit to that in a synagogue, though ...

I notice that Selwood has been less effective the last 2 years, because the high tackle rule was changed. The umpires don’t give him multiple cheap free kicks.

So he’s no longer a “ducker”!

I wouldn’t admit to that in a synagogue, though ...

Its still there but not as regularly
though
I swithced over to the game on the weekend within a few minutes he did the heil hitler salute and got the head high free

On the replay it's easy to see what he does when he doesn't have the ball, he's just telling the other defenders what to do. With Burgoyne out he probably stays in.

Ps. Was anybody surprised to see McEvoy's name absent from the coaches votes? Thought he was just about best on.
Was comfortably best on. Can only imagine Clarko is trying to downplay his form

Ok. Still hard to deny Selwoods first two seasons with the cats were very impressive. But yeah i forgot how bullshit partisan this forum is. Seeya
870 posts 99 likes. Nice ratio.

Joel Selwood is nothing but a blight on the game. He isn't a footballer, he is a windmill. If we wanted clean energy we'd stick some turbines on his arms and watch him appeal for free kicks. Only it wouldn't be clean energy would it? It'd be filthy, cheating, head-ducking, garbage energy. As bad as the drug cheats for mine. His first two seasons were nothing but a prelude to the rest of his stinking cheating career. He started the entire head ducking knee bending, shoulder shrugging industry that has seen other take it to a new level. But he'll always be the first and the worst. But go ahead and accuse the people who love the game and hate its destruction by the likes of Selwood of "bullshit partisanism" because the only partisan around is anyone feeling the need to defend that dung heap of a human being.

You wouldn't expect Jewish people to talk about how great Jesus was, so why would you expect the Hawks board to talk about how good Joel Selwood is.
I just don't understand the reference, I guess.

Chad marks and Cunnington not in shot as he is too far to the left of screen.
View attachment 650735
Cunnington starts to Chad's right. Note the their relative positions against the dark shade of grass.
View attachment 650731

Cunnington clearly walks towards Chad through the protected area. Cunnington is required by the laws of the game to exit away from the player with the ball. He is absolutely required to avoid contact with the player who is entitled to walk back from the mark in order to take his kick. Note Cunnington's arm against Chad's body.

View attachment 650729
And there it is, Cunnington's arm between Chad's body and the ball. Contact is made with the ball and it spills free from Chad's hand.

View attachment 650734
So we have established the facts as being that cunnington started to the boundary side of the marking contest, walked towards Chad through the protected area, made contact with his arm which dislodges the ball from Chad's possession. So having breached the protected zone, the umpire should have paid a fifty regardless of contact. Having made contact and dispossessing Chad of the ball, the umpire should have awarded a fifty metre penalty. Those are the facts. Now don't be a ******* and defend umpires for blatant failure.

All I’m saying is this stuff happens all the time and is rarely paid. Nor should it in my opinion. You’re not giving Chad enough credit for his role in ensuring contact was made either. I’ll sink the boots into the umpires with the best of them, but on this one I reckon they read it correctly.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back