Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coming down from Syd for Easter Monday, so hoping we can turn the tide.

I'm thinking we need some more timber in the back, so probably want to try Phillips (or Serong), and maybe move Amon up to the wing. Also frees up Sic to do Sic things.

Would also like some midfield "tinkering" as opposed to a complete gutting. Would love to see HH live (selfish reasons also). Bring him. Maybe Ward a rest? Or one of Bruest/Gunners and play some musical chairs?

Positives then be:
  • Maybe get to see Hustwaite live and possibly Philips debut!
  • Hopefully get a midfield response this week, at the perfect time
  • Wiz to convert more accurately now the monkey is off his back
  • Get to see Ginni in person in our colours against the real enemy (ideally we win the game from a Ginni head high free right in front of goal in the last 10 seconds... or just obliterate them. not fussy, i'll take either)
  • Big fat spread of goal kickers - now that we've blown away the inaccuracy cobwebs
Ward 100% agree...its time for a change in my view.

Take a look at our 2021 list. We’ve done incredibly well not to end up like North or West Coast considering we’ve turned over more than half our list since then.

We wouldn’t have 22 players to field a side that have been on the list more than 3 years and that includes Gunston, Bruest and Wingard who only have 1-2 seasons left. We need some perspective here- it’s tough but the rebuild will take time and we’re on the right track…
Not sure what glasses u have on to say weve done incredibly well but i would suggest we will be fighting for the spoon with West Cosst and North.

Pose the question. Are our centre square mids purely out of form, or are they trying to implement a coaching tactic with their set-up that they can not get right?

A lot of blame (warranted) on the players. Not much on midfield coach and senior coach.

Surely one of the great midfielders (Sam) can see after 2 CB clearances what is wrong and not working, and then look to change it up within 5 minutes. Regardless of who is in there!

Or is he trying (stubbornly) to run a new tactic that isn't working at the moment, but sticking with it, no matter how badly it going with the hope they can get it right.

This week will be a close watch.

Did I read somewhere about some angst in the coach's box between Sam and Hickmott? mmm.
Feel like the gameplan is being set up to counter the attack from half back gameplan of other teams.

No point going with what everyone else is doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Stanley is out Meek vs a 2nd gamer in Conway is a good reason to bring him in.

Meek's strength and particularly his mobility could be a big bonus against a green kid.

Might sound like a real stupid question but can anyone confirm if the Hawthorn Cheer squad will be sitting on Punt Rd end for the easter monday clash? M4?

Lol Reeves is averaging one mark a game this year

Meek actually looked ok mark wise in VFL last week

Meek was statistically better at almost everything other than ruck contests last year.

I find the loyalty so many have to Reeves a bit weird, he played 2-3 good games last year but didn’t really show any growth.

Meek was statistically better at almost everything other than ruck contests last year.

I find the loyalty so many have to Reeves a bit weird, he played 2-3 good games last year but didn’t really show any growth.

I thought Meek's papers were stamped after that diabolical performance against St Kilda. Marshall absolutely destroyed him.

The problem with Meek v Reeves is Meek is slightly better than Reeves at everything but Reeves is significantly better at actual ruck work.

Surprise surprise it appears ruck work seems to be a pretty important job for a ruckman based on Sam and co.

I hope Meek gets his chance because I love seeing the fridge with legs play but he needs to take his chance when he gets it. The reason why Reeves is continually playing is he's currently our best ruck option.

I thought Meek's papers were stamped after that diabolical performance against St Kilda. Marshall absolutely destroyed him.

The problem with Meek v Reeves is Meek is slightly better than Reeves at everything but Reeves is significantly better at actual ruck work.

Surprise surprise it appears ruck work seems to be a pretty important job for a ruckman based on Sam and co.

I hope Meek gets his chance because I love seeing the fridge with legs play but he needs to take his chance when he gets it. The reason why Reeves is continually playing is he's currently our best ruck option.
I posted at the start of the season that I thought Reeves was a watch as to me there is very little difference between Reeves and Meek and if Reeves doesn't improve his around the ground game and Meek is tearing it up in the VFL it will be interesting to see what happens.

I copped a lot of flak from some quarters who said that Reeves was our obvious number 1 ruck for 2024.

I have seen little in the first two rounds to suggest I was wrong though, Reeves is still a liability outside of ruck contests.

I think Reeves is on pretty thin ice, he will most likely get picked this week but he needs to start to have at least some impact around the ground (taking a couple of strong marks would help a lot).

If Maginness plays, I'd like to see him tag Holmes

A lot of run and drive is coming from Holmes, Maginness is the perfect match up

If Maginness plays, I'd like to see him tag Holmes

A lot of run and drive is coming from Holmes, Maginness is the perfect match up
Given how fumbley our mids have been, I think bringing in Hustwaite is a must. Maginness to make way for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back