Autopsy Round 3 Blues dominant as Harry kicks 7

Who played well in Round 3 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Typically you have around 4 mids who attend 50% or more of centre bounces. For us, that's Cripps, Ed, Williams and Walsh. The 5th midfielder on the bench is usually a forward-mid. That's why Dow only attended 10% of centre bounces.

However, Cripps attended all 100% of centre bounces. We let Cripps rotate forward, it allows Dow more time in the guts. Simples.

(the 14% which Fog attended, most likely came from Williams' time spend forward, or multiple mids on the bench)
Not quite sure on your numbers there. Last week Cripps was at 86%, the same as Curnow, then Walsh with 62% and Williams at 41%.

The league averages for first 5 mids are 80%, 70%, 58%, 43% & 27%.

Across the league, the top 3 players average attended 69% of all centre bounces. Go to the top 4 players and between them they saw 84%, the top 5 is nearly everything at 93%.

We're low on rotation numbers through there, only using 6 players, but Dow very sparingly with miniscule use. The Dogs and Crows are the lowest with 5, North the highest with 10.

No, not regularly. He has however sucked it up and made himself best 22 by making himself a versatile small forward despite being a dominant mid at lower senior levels. Dow hasn’t done any of that and hasn’t displayed anywhere near the same level of flexibility. And he isn’t that considerably older than Dow either.
I'd argue he's a small forward/hhf at this level, while Dow is really a pure midfielder without much scope to play elsewhere.

I'm not sure where this 'sucked it up' stuff has come from. Gibbo, like Dow, doesn't really have a choice in where he plays, and they're both certainly not top-4 midfielders at CFC who deserve heavy on-ball rotation. What makes you think that because they're both not starting on-ball that Gibbo has 'sucked it up' while Dow hasn't? And what does that even really mean in the context of playing senior footy?...

Would you say Cripps isn't much older than Dow? Gibbo is the same age, for what it's worth. Not old by any means, but 4 years makes a bit of a difference, that's longer than Dow's been at the club.

Not quite sure on your numbers there. Last week Cripps was at 86%, the same as Curnow, then Walsh with 62% and Williams at 41%.

Across the league, the top 3 players average attended 69% of all centre bounces. Go to the top 4 players and between them they saw 84%, the top 5 is nearly everything at 93%.

We're low on rotation numbers through there, only using 6 players, but Dow very sparingly with miniscule use. The Dogs and Crows are the lowest with 5, North the highest with 10.
This is actually fantastic analysis and data. Not sure where you got it from, but thanks!

I'd argue he's a small forward/hhf at this level, while Dow is really a pure midfielder without much scope to play elsewhere.

I'm not sure where this 'sucked it up' stuff has come from. Gibbo, like Dow, doesn't really have a choice in where he plays, and they're both certainly not top-4 midfielders at CFC who deserve heavy on-ball rotation. What makes you think that because they're both not starting on-ball that Gibbo has 'sucked it up' while Dow hasn't? And what does that even really mean in the context of playing senior footy?...

Would you say Cripps isn't much older than Dow? Gibbo is the same age, for what it's worth. Not old by any means, but 4 years makes a bit of a difference, that's longer than Dow's been at the club.
Gibbo is older and smarter with more experience that Dow, granted so he is better equip it to be versatile. As a two time JJ Listen medalist, he is arguably better qualified that Dow as a mid as well and he impacts the contest more effectively. The suck it up comes from a much earlier post about the volume of players who played different positions as directed by the coach and the best interests of the team. This insistence that players must play mid to be successful is a misnomer. Earn your spot and minutes. I’m sure Gibbo would like to be in the middle and would succeed as would Fisher and SPS. Equally, Dow should respond to playing other roles in the best interests of the team.

I’ll admit fault at the age thing

Cripps had 86% of TOG and had 86% of CBAs too. Although he may not have attended every center bounce, I believe that means that he attended every one while he was on the field.

While Walsh rotated on the wing, and Williams up forward, it's still quite significantly more time spent in the guts than Dow at 10%.

Centre bounce summary (Blues kicking ---->)

Quarter 1W 4 - 3 (7)
Ed Williams CrippsPitto wins tap, Cerra roves it but strong tackle and htb to Williams
Ed Walsh CrippsFreo win tap, Doc comes charging in, clean pick up but smothered, Ed pokes to Cottrell on wing who passes to Cripps for clearance
Ed Fogarty WalshPitto wins tap but to Cerra, Ed under pressure bombs it to the wing
Williams Ed Cripps (LC)Freo win tap and Serong breaks away
Ed Walsh CrippsCripps good and Walsh clears
Dow Walsh CrippsDarcy wins tap and follows up for Freo clearance
Ed Cripps WalshPitt wins tap but ricochet Freos way
Quarter 2W 5 - 3 (8)
Ed Walsh CrippsPitto wins tap, Cripps gets a kick along ground that works in our favour
Ed Walsh CrippsPitto wins tap to Cripps, uses Ed to Pitto to wing
Willams Fogarty WalshPitto wins tap, Fog fumbles but time to get it to Williams for clearance kick
Willams Walsh FogartyFog handballs wide to Williams who gets it to Doc for the clearance but ends up oof
Ed Walsh Cripps (LC)Caz a good tap to space but not on same page as mids. Mids don't cover for each other and Freo clear
Dow Ed CrippsMeek grabs it, Dow ineffective, Freo clearance
Dow Ed CrippsMeek taps to Serong, Dow tackles high, then runs back to get the ball for him
Ed Walsh CrippsPitto wins tap and Cripps wins the free. Ump completely lost control here - any one of 3 actions should have been called 50
Quarter 3W 5 - 3 (8)
Ed Williams CrippsFreo win tap, Cripps roves it, handball to Pitto to Saad for i50. Cleary a set play
Ed Williams CrippsPitto wins tap, Cripps soft free. Pass to Williams
Williams Walsh Cripps (LC) Walsh switches to cover the loose man, Caz wins tap, all 3 get involved. One of our best centre clearances this year
Ed Walsh Cripps (LC)Free to Cripps who releases off to Saad
Ed Walsh CrippsPitto wins tap and Walsh wins the contested ball. Nice link up between Cripps and Walsh but hesitates and tackled for the turnover
Cripps Ed WilliamsLost the tap, Pitto fumbles, Freo clearance
Ed Williams CrippsFreo tap, Williams good, Cripps handball intercepted, Freo clearance
Ed Walsh CrippsDarcy wins tap but Walsh runs onto it and kicks i50
Quarter 4L 1 - 5 (6)
Ed Williams CrippsFreo tap down to Walters for clearance
Ed Fogarty WalshWalsh excellent, Ed with the quick i50 bomb
Ed Williams Cripps (LC)Meek roves missed tap and clears
Ed Cripps Williams (LC)Caz taps it to Cripps who gets pinged after it drops out in the tackle
Ed Cripps WalshDarcy gets it going Freos way
Ed Walsh CrippsPitto nice tap to Cripps, Cripps does well here but loops handball too high and Freo clear.
TotalW 15 - 14 (29)

Attended (clearance contributions)

Total /29Q1 /7Q2 /8Q3 /8Q4 /6
Cripps25 (9)6(2)6(3)8(4)5
Ed25 (4)6(2)6(1)76(1)
Walsh18 (4)5(1)64(2)3(1)
Williams12 (4)2(1)2(2)5(1)3
Fogarty4 (2)12(2)01
Dow3 (0)1200

Most used:
Cripps Ed Walsh x 12 (W 7-5)
Cripps Ed Williams x 9 (L 3 - 6)
Walsh Willams Fogarty x2 (W 2-0)

Observations
- Done much better this week, clearances were with more purpose. Cripps looks to give it off a better user, Ed showed more poise and looked for an outlet, more obvious set plays, linked up together well.

- We played closer to the man, either starting or working into front position. Much better positioning than the first weeks.

- Cripps was great but has one go at it and is then essentially out of the contest. Handballs not the same elite level they were in his early years. Big intent to get it going forward quickly, and looks to give it to Williams if he can.

- Ed started off playing a close check but played much more freely when we got on top in the second. Fogarty wasn't clean but likely just needs time in there. Expect his rotations will increase as has looked very likely this year.

- Walsh and Williams will dominate with a strong tap ruckman that can put it into space for them.

- People wanting Dow to spend more time in the middle I just can't understand. Would love examples to review what I'm missing because I've watched all his centre clearances and many stoppages this year and he's at least a level below all others.

Decided to continue this for the first quarter of the year at least to see if any conclusions can be drawn.

there are times when I doubt the bolded............when negativity is your default, winning leaves you a bit adrift I reckon...........
Winning?? What have we actually won in 20 years? One memorable final win against Richmond (from 9th spot), which was the Chris Judd show.
To recap, we beat an injury-marred Freo that do not travel well away from home, and we get all tired and emotional b/c Harry kicks 7.
Lost to Richmond, like we always seem to do these days. Lost to Collingwood which in the current scheme of things was a loss to a very ordinary team.
We fell over the line with GCS who ran out of interchange and the skills on the night were deplorable. Now we come up against a Port team that is ready to be beaten. They are coming off an emotional win and a hard contested match against the Tiggers where they have lost two important players. I want to see CFC beat them by 10 goals. I want Harry to kick 10, Cripps to get leather poisoning, but let's wait and see. This will be a huge test, and we need a big scalp...desperately.

Watching Hawthorn on Sunday, I saw the dirty mongrel Clarkson coached team.. Sniping, tripping, it was disgraceful. If we ever get that animal coaching us then it will be time to pack the bags and move on.

Back