VFL Round 3 - Collingwood vs Footscray at Victoria Park (PIES WON, 100-96!) :-D

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Cox's confidence to jump for marks. Towards the end of the year when his timing and ability to read the flight of the ball have improved he'll be very very good in the air. His other parts of the game (kicking, knowing where to run...) will take longer to improve but he is looking very promising.

I completely agree with all the praise going De Goey's way. His size in the contest is already very noticeable.

This guy is a real darkhorse.. from what ive seen of him this year.. how on earth did he get out to pick 30? laser like bullet like left foot and tackles like a beast. Bring him in! Give this guy a go at it. Maynard.

MAYNARD%20Brayden.png

His Lack of Endurance

He'll build that up Dave. Dont worry. Seeing him yesterday, he's a good size.

I am sure he will. Daisy had the Same Problem with his Endurance.

Great to see Hine Drafting Big Bodies in De Goey and Maynard:D

I am sure he will. Daisy had the Same Problem with his Endurance.

Great to see Hine Drafting Big Bodies in De Goey and Maynard:D
Our list in general has muscled up of late - starting four/six around the centre are decent size, even without Greenwood, JDG or others on the rise.

Short review of each listed player;

1; Fasolo = started on fire, 2 early goals including a ripper from the forward pocket, then almost unisghted for the last 3 quarters. Went to half back late to help us hold on and did ok.
7; Kennedy; Brilliant return, stunningly good really. Didn't come on till the second quarter yet had an impact straight away. Won the ball a heap, used it well, ran through gaps. Looked great
12; Matt Scharenberg; Really impressive for his return game. Took some strong marks down back, took some kick ins and used it really well. Went off with 15 minutes to go and looked buggered, but got through the game ok it seemed.
14; Young; Injured again, not sure what but didn't see him after quarter time.
15; Witts; Rucked manfully against Minson and Campbell and for most of the game was the better ruckman around the ground, Kicked a crucial goal late on, is ready to play if we want to pick him.
17; Jonathon Marsh; BRILLIANT. I love this kid but he even impressed me today, saved the game time and time again in that last quarter with the right decision. He has the knack of finding the right space when the opposition are kicking inside 50. We didn't win that game without him.
21; Freeman; won a lot of hard ball today and tried hard. Didn't break the game open at all really. Was ok without being great,.
35; Jordan De Goey; THE GOOOO!!!! We made the right choice here, no worries. Brilliant at reading the ball off packs. Wins his own ball and uses it. One piece late was brilliant, read the ball off Minson and passed to Abbott inside 50. Ready to play seniors. Best on ground for mine.
37; Maynard; Knocked out early, taken out with concussion.
38; Goodyear; played a tagging role it seemed today, probably a good learning curve for him.
41; Brenden Abbott; Played like Stewart Dew today. Played at half forward and in the first half had a hand in 5-6 goals as well as a 45 metre snap that easily went through. Bloody huge kid (20 years old now), could play seniors this year.
46; Cox; continues his development, Kicked another freaky goal after dropping the mark today. Flew for some mad marks and took some nice ones down back.

Of the VFL listed players Hellier, Still, Wallin, Pendlebury and Moloney were good for us.

Gutsy win considering we were 3 players down at the end, move to 1-2 on the season.

Thanks for the review.

Good to hear DeGoey continues to push. He needs a chance sooner than later and might come with a kid being rested.

Couple am interested in;

Kennedy - where did he play. On ball or deep fwd.

Marsh - Did he take many intercept marks?

Goodyear - What were his hands around the contest like?

Witts - Was he good as a deep fwd to bring in ahead of Gault. Mobility a key issue for him unless they rest Grundy fwd a bit more in that Gault role.

Thanks for the review.

Good to hear DeGoey continues to push. He needs a chance sooner than later and might come with a kid being rested.

Couple am interested in;

Witts - Was he good as a deep fwd to bring in ahead of Gault. Mobility a key issue for him unless they rest Grundy fwd a bit more in that Gault role.
A few opinion.

Kennedy was great I thought out of the centre square and mainly around the ground. Won contested footy, was quick and his delivery excellent.

Marsh took some intercept marks and intercept plays. Ran well out of defence and was vocal. Repath did give him troubles on the lead and once he got a yard on Marsh he beat him most times. Redpath was the most dangerous looking forward on the ground and has a big body which Marsh found difficult to combat.

Witts didnt provide much up forward, Cox was more dangerous. Although he is a better player than Gault for the moment Gaults movement and importance to our forward structure is such that I believe for now we function better with Gault in that role until Witts dominates in the VFL. Gaults mobility is vital and Witts cant match it.

Watching JDG, I've never felt surer about a youngster making it. He has the size, is composed, assured with ball in hand. No pressure of course:)
I agree.

I've been a supporter only since 2008, but I can't remember a kid who has dominated the VFL as quickly as he has since then.

Although, Langdon and Fasolo are 2 others who had memorable first seasons.

Thanks for the review.

Couple am interested in;

Kennedy played mainly fwd from what i could see. Finished better than he started which was to be expected, cant wait until he's in top flight again.
Goodyear played half forward again, had a bit of it to half time, kicked a goal and missed one outside 50. Went to Grant as a complete shut down role in second half of third and last quarter and i thought took him out of the game. Small blemish was he allowed him a goal late in the game, other than that Grant had no impact when Goodyear went on to him-looks like they're throwing Goodyear different challenges and roles to him ti make him as versatile as possible-i like that.. Hands were clean.
Witts was dangerous when he went deep, still like him to do a bit more. I will say though he was bringing it to ground if he didn't grab it,real positive. Id like to see him replace Gault this week - he's done enough for me.

Marsh wasn't as influencial as other weeks with regards to intercept marks. He's a real competitor though!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best first year for us that I can remember is the guy that went to Brisbane. Steele didn't do a lot in his first year.
True in the H&A matches but there was an 1st semi against Adelaide where Steele starred and arguably in the 3rd Q was the player who dragged us back into the match.

Great to hear we got a win on the board... one question though, why no Manteit today?
It was cold so I decided to wear a jumper.

Thanks for the stats.

De Goey got very busy by the looks of it.

Ryan Pendlebury..only 21. Did he play as well as his stats look?

Does anyone know if the club will be uploading this game?

Doesn't it get tiring constantly complaining about the media coverage?

Give it until next season. They said they would deliver so let's be patient.

Doesn't it get tiring constantly complaining about the media coverage?

Give it until next season. They said they would deliver so let's be patient.
That's fair enough in a basic way, however we've been complaining about s**t coverage for years & they know it. Other clubs have had radio coverage for years, some have had reasonable video for a couple of years too. We get someone stabbing at keyboard, poorly IMO & only posting "Yeah Pies!"type comments.

On top of that we spend wasted money on dance troupes & what song we play before we run out & s**t.

We have the money, we have the fan base, why are we waiting?????

I'll be accused of being old-fashioned but what I want (& i believe they are trying to do some of it now) is kick to kick after a match & god damn VFL video coverage & a decent fuggin cheersquad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back