Preview Round 3 vs Sydney @ AAMI Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a ray of angry sunshine.

History doesn't tell the story though. Sydney always played the polar opposite to our style which is why it worked so well against us, the same with North. Clog us up, stop our run and our guys were always smaller and weaker and they'd end up grinding us down until we capitulated. Last year at the SCG we were way screwed, we always have more chance against them here due to the ground being big enough for us to find space if we play well. The other thing is the way the zones and game styles have changed we've had to change and this year we are playing the rugby scrum style of AFL that sydney always have but teams like us have been forced to so I don't think we will be as challenged as normal.

Will it be a struggle? Yes because sydney play the most boring football
Will it draw a crowd? Probobly not due to above, I turn the TV off when they are playing generally
Will we win? Maybe, Sydney has nothing up forward as evidenced against GWS and Freo once they got firing.

It depends if the Port Adelaide of the last two weeks full of endeaver rocks up minus 50% of the brain farts from last week and we will be right in it.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to win but for those who don't THINK we can it's a bit odd. I know we've been burnt in the past, but this is a very winnable game for us. If our defence can be as good as it was last week we'll go a long way to taking the points. Our mids really need to step up, they would have been reflecting all week with the coaches on how to rectify what went wrong last week.

It'll be a close one, which won't be good for my sanity

regarding the crowd - dont disregard the massive negative affect it will have being on a saturday arvo. I know at least 20 people myself who arent going because amatuer league footy starts back up this saturday. Normally I would miss my clubs footy to go to the power, but round 1 is a different animal and im not sure what im going to do at the moment

.....Sydney always played the polar opposite to our style which is why it worked so well against us, the same with North......
Really? Style differences is it? For me it is simply that they both play with greater skill and heart than us for longer periods of the game.

Ladder
4. Sydney W2 L0
12. Port Adelaide W1 L1

Head To Head
Port 6
Sydney 14

At Footy Park
Port 3
Sydney 6

Last 5 Games
LLLLL

Lost the last 7 games to Sydney - 3 @ Footy Park, 4 @ SCG

Highest Score
2004 – 20.12 132

Biggest Winning Margin
R12 2004 – 72 points

Last Time against Sydney
R8 2011 – 9.5 59 to 18.13 121

Average scores over the 20 games played
Port 12.11 82
Sydney 14.13 97

Last 3 games at Footy Park

2010 Rd 12 Sat Night Port 8.7 55, Sydney 14.9 93, lose by 38 pts, crowd 20,106

Goals Port Boak, Kornes, Davenport, Ebert, Hartlett, Hitchcock, Thomas, Trengove, all 1 goal each
Sydney Goodes 3, J.Bolton + Hannebery + Kennedy 2, Jack + Kirk + Malceski + McGlynn + McVeigh 1,

2008 Rd 9 Sat arvo Port 14.10 94, Sydney 16.9 105, lose by 11 pts, crowd 25,013

Goals Port Ebert 6, Tredrea 3, Motlop 2, P. Burgoyne + Gray + Lade 1,
Sydney Moore 3, Buchanan + McVeigh + O'Keefe + O'Loughlin 2, Bevan + C.Bolton + Jolly + Kirk + Schmidt 1,

2006 Rd 17 Sat night Port 7.8 50, Sydney10.17 77, lose by 27 pts, crowd 23,183

Goals Port White + Thurstans 2, Dew + Mahoney + Thomson 1,
Sydney Hall 3, Jolly + O'Keefe 2, Buchanan + McVeigh + Schneider 1,

Most Goals vs Sydney
22 – W Tredrea
17 – B Lade
14 – B Ebert

See some additional stats in blue above.

KEY PLAYERS

Josh Kennedy
Is just beginning to teeter on the edge of being an elite midfielder. His last two years since crossing to Sydney have been excellent and he looks to have raised the bar again in 2012. Averaging over 31 disposals a match in the first two rounds, he is currently sitting 5th in total disposals, 2nd in contested possessions and 4th in clearances across the league. His ability to not only win the ball in close but also to will himself on to contest after contest is something a few PAFC midfielders should look at closely.

Sam Reid
Is there a more athletic young key forward in the league right now? Currently 7th out of key forwards for contested marks and he never looks out of a marking contest. Massive leap, great on the lead, super sticky hands, all Sam needs to be a genuine star is to improve his set shots on goal. No doubt in a few years’ time he will be a household name, but right now he holds one of the keys to a Swans victory on the weekend. If Trengove or Carlile can stop Reid from running at the contest and getting his hands on the ball then Port Adelaide have every chance of beating Sydney.

Adam Goodes
A bit Captain Obvious but its hard to see exactly who we have in the lineup that could run with Goodes if he hits top form on Saturday. Adam has picked up Brownlow votes in 3 of the last 4 matches between the sides. Do we play someone like Chaplin on him and risk getting blown away? Do we play someone like Ebert on him who has the endurance and strength to run with him but not the pace. Or do we try someone a bit left of centre like Paul Stewart who has the height, pace and strength to run with him through the midfield? Either way, there is no doubt that Adam will cause a lot of headaches on the weekend, no matter what position he plays.

I reckon Kennedy will go to Boak. If not, then Dom sits on him.

Reid, Jacko gets first go, and if that doesn't go well, then Chaplin.

Goodes, if he goes forward - Carlile gets him. If he starts in the guts - Carlile goes in the guts with him. Ever since that home and away game at Footy Park in 2003 when Cochrane held Goodes in the wet, the only poor game he has had against us was the 12 goal loss in 2004 at Footy Park when we were brushing off just everybody in 2004. Since then, he has murdered us. Chad couldn't go with him. Thomas just isn't big enough to go with him. Dom or Kane can't go with him as they aren't strong enough

I want us to think laterally at tell Bob to run with him for a quarter and see how he goes. It can't hurt and it may give Bob a new lease of life. tell Bob he just has to stop monstering us in the clearances. I want to see Bob run at guys just like Fijian Rugby players run at their opponents.

Macca you have forgotten 2 important Swans defenders - Richards and Grundy. They have started this season well, just like last year. For years I would watch us in near tears as dopey Choco would always have X-1 or X-2 forwards at the SCG when the Swans would have X defenders. We can't play a loose man in defence and let Richards and Grundy just take easy uncontested marks as one of them will then be loose.

In bloody 2010 @ Footy Park I had to sit thru watching Hitchcock and Ebert being our main targets in our forward line. I know LRT isn't playing on Saturday but that night he played on Ebert all night. A 194cm defender sat on a 179cm forward all night. Thanks Choco!! You don't have played 200 V/AFL games to realise that is a moron coaching move.

KEY YOUNGSTERS

Alex Johnson
Alex has improved a lot over the last 12 months. After playing 20 matches last year, he looks to have made a spot has a rebounding third tall his own this year in very much a Grant Birchall type manner. He picked up 24 disposals against Fremantle and although he made a number of mistakes early, he has the height, the pace and the athleticism to play on and cause issues for someone like a Westhoff or Stewart if they are not on their game.

Luke Parker
Amazing that GWS overlooked this guy. Had a huge pre season, was very impressive in his ability to win the ball and his skills. Looks like a typical Sydney player and whilst his first two rounds were relatively quiet (subbed against GWS after injury), he is a player that could hurt us if we are not careful.

Gary Rohan
Into his third year in the system now, the former first round draft pick is just itching to have a break out match. What better place to do that than against Port Adelaide at AAMI. Super quick, super skilful and plenty of X factor, he is tye type of youngster that could break out with a 20 disposal, 2 goal effort to come through as a match winner.

Johnson, I don't know much about, Parker is a good kid so we should pay him some respect, maybe Surjan on him and Rohan is a jet with some decent height so I'd be tempted to put Paul Stewart on him. You forgot Lewis Jetta. Pearce is about the only one on our list who can match his pace.

PREDICTION
Its hard to tip Port Adelaide to beat Sydney. We never beat them. Even when we were great we still struggled to get over the line against them. Sydney are on a 7 match unbeaten streak against Port Adelaide and the last time Port won was in 2006. Its about time Port Adelaide broke this hoodoo they have with Sydney and really come out and put everything on the line for victory. I think we have the possible tall forwards to cause their defence some strife and if we can keep Sam Reid in check, then I think we have the defence to shut them down. Like the St Kilda and Essendon match, this matchup will all come down to the midfield. If ours turns up, we could and should win this match. If it doesn’t, then Sydney have the midfielders, the pace, the contested ability to run away with the match. My heart says Port can win this, but I think my head still says Sydney

Sydney by 32 points.

I can actually see us pinching this IF and its a big IF, our coaching panel is on the ball, plays man on man in our forward line ie doesn't drop someone back in defence, we match Sydney in the clearances in the guts and around the ground, do something different with stopping Goodes, use the ball a hell of a lot better than against the Bombers, and we get rid of our UFH and get our kick to handball ratio up to 2:1 not 1.25:1.

Also we have to eliminate the UFShortKicks that cause so many turnovers and goals to the opposition.

I reckon the Swans by 4 goals but if we do the things I said in the previous paragraph I reckon we can win by 2 goals.

Crowd prediction 24,392

SANFL official figure 21,813

If I Could Turn Back Time

1997 vs Geelong – Ground Zero
The date was 12th April 1997. The opposition was Geelong. The occasion, the clubs first victory at AFL level. After a couple of solid defeats at the hands of Collingwood and Essendon, Port Adelaide went into the Round 3 match against the Cats with plenty of promise and enthusiasm and came away with the victory.

F: P Burgoyne / S Cummings / B Lockwood
HF: S Breuer / D Poole / J Francou
C: D Dickie / B Lyle / M Wilson
HB: A Kingsley / D Mead / F Francis
B: A Heuskes / S Paxman / S Bond

R: M Primus / D Brown / G Wanganeen

I: S Carter / I Downsborough / B Lade

PA 3.5 / 8.11 / 13.17 / 18.21 (129)
G 0.2 / 3.2 / 7.4 / 14.6 (90)

BEST: Brown, Dickie, Paxman, Lockwood, Cummings, Lyle, Bond, Wanganeen
GOALS: Cummings 5; Lockwood 4; Francou, Poole 2; Brown, Burgoyne, Dickie, Francis, Lade

We should have kick 27.12 not bloody 18.21 and won by 70+ pts. That game summed up our goal kicking between 1997 and 2000.

My bad, i got his back story confused with harry cunninghams.

Minor error in what is an incredibly informed and accurate, well researched preview Macca - the Melbourne AFL media could use someone like you (ie - someone who bothers to check facts - what a concept).

Look, in the past few years this is the sort of game we've gone into with our guards down based on ladder positions and got burnt (thinking Melbourne 2010, Richmond & Adelaide 2011). Your early season form is a far cry from the debacle of 12 months ago and the loss to the Suns so we would be foolish to take you lightly.

Swans by 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gray, butcher, Salopek and renouf replace d. Stewart, redden, Jacobs and oshea......then that's a much better team.

So I'm going to tip port by 28 points

The Mumford fitness test is huge. If he doesn't play I give us a chance, if he plays he will dominate our rucks.

Oh and REH, I usually respect your opinions but if you reckon Bob can run with Goodes thank god you are not a member of our coaching staff.

The Mumford fitness test is huge. If he doesn't play I give us a chance, if he plays he will dominate our rucks.

If Mumford doesn't play then Renouf won't either - we will go with Redden and D Stew gets another chance.

The only change likely is then Gray in for ??? and Pfeiffer or Phillips in for ???.

Oh and REH, I usually respect your opinions but if you reckon Bob can run with Goodes thank god you are not a member of our coaching staff.

Goodes has great running endurance but it is his explosive pace and strength at stoppages that is his real asset. Everyone we have tried on him over the last 8 years hasn't been big enough or strong enough to stop him. I want to see Bob given a go on him because he is about the same height and size. If he is stuffed by the end of the first quarter because he can't run with Goodes around the ground, then as Macca suggested, put Chaplin on him in the 2nd quarter. Given them a couple of quarters each on him.

I reckon Bob needs a challenge and as Gerard Healey keeps on banging on, he needs to go to the next level in becoming an attacking defender and providing some run and drive out of our defence. This might be the challenge he needs to push himself around the ground.

Who would you play on Goodes WHOME? The same guys who have failed on him in the past? What's the point of doing that?

Who would you play on Goodes WHOME? The same guys who have failed on him in the past? What's the point of doing that?

A stronger injured all of last year, P Stewart

or if we want to chuck in the towel, give Ah CHee the match up to tell him what he needs to become in 5 years:thumbsu:

I'll take that question! ;) Time for Jonas to make his impression - without a doubt his strong points are his body size and committment to the contest, surely with Salter going on the LTI list it is time for Jonas to step up to the big task.

Goodes has great running endurance but it is his explosive pace and strength at stoppages that is his real asset. Everyone we have tried on him over the last 8 years hasn't been big enough or strong enough to stop him. I want to see Bob given a go on him because he is about the same height and size. If he is stuffed by the end of the first quarter because he can't run with Goodes around the ground, then as Macca suggested, put Chaplin on him in the 2nd quarter. Given them a couple of quarters each on him.

I reckon Bob needs a challenge and as Gerard Healey keeps on banging on, he needs to go to the next level in becoming an attacking defender and providing some run and drive out of our defence. This might be the challenge he needs to push himself around the ground.

Goodes actually hasnt been that good to start the year, but thats pretty customary for him so maybe you can catch him while hes still winding up. In saying that, you cant really have an ideal match up on goodes...theres very few players, who are as big, as strong, as fast, have the same aerial capabilities and have the same endurance. And even if you had one of those players, you surely wouldnt use him to tag.
I think the bigger threat for you guys, is our midfield. Josh Kennedy is a contested ball beast. Our midfiedlers are rather unheralded but get the job done wk in wk out and win a tonne of the contested ball. The fact that you have a good defense as i hear from reading some of these posts could give you a chance, because our forward line is absolutely shambles. We basically have Sam Reid (who has seriouss goal kicking issues, which have gotten better recently) and if you have someone who can contain him that'll stop alot of our attack. I think in the end though it'll come down to your midfielders, because if we win the contested ball and the clearances and its just consistenly being bombed into ure 50, itll be impossible to win for you guys. Also our mids have a tendency to kick quite a few goals. In any case Port this year looks stronger than in previous years so it should be a good contest.

A stronger injured all of last year, P Stewart

or if we want to chuck in the towel, give Ah CHee the match up to tell him what he needs to become in 5 years:thumbsu:

Stewart is an interesting option. Still don't reckon he is strong enough but I could be wrong. I reckon we will need Stewart to play on Rohan. Rohan is bloody quick. I reckon Stewart on Rohan is a better match up.

I'll take that question! ;) Time for Jonas to make his impression - without a doubt his strong points are his body size and committment to the contest, surely with Salter going on the LTI list it is time for Jonas to step up to the big task.

Jonas will be mauled by Goodes. Thomas can't handle Goodes, so I have no faith Jonas can. If Goodes plays forward, Chaplin or Bob will have to pick him up. One or both of them should have a crack on him when he goes on the ball.

Stewart is an interesting option. Still don't reckon he is strong enough but I could be wrong. I reckon we will need Stewart to play on Rohan. Rohan is bloody quick. I reckon Stewart on Rohan is a better match up.

Jonas will be mauled by Goodes. Thomas can't handle Goodes, so I have no faith Jonas can. If Goodes plays forward, Chaplin or Bob will have to pick him up. One or both of them should have a crack on him when he goes on the ball.

I think you're underestimating how good Jonas is defensively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back